Kurt-NEPA

Noisy 5xi Two Stage Blower

WHX??

By the yoke Brad do you mean the lift flag? 

Toro Wheel Horse snow blower lift flag with lift assist spring bracket #101461 (wheelhorsepartsandmore.com)

Also check those idlers ... known to wear out and the teeth on the drive sprocket. 

Yep #40 chain Kurt

Edited by WHX24

peter lena

interesting read , barely a mention of lubrication , that auger chain drive , requires a specific , open gear and chain lubricant , to stay with it and make it last. another thing that I have done frequently with those 6203 bearings , is to use a pocket screw driver to pop off the rubber seals , wipe them out ,and refill with a HI TEMP GREASE , LIKE LUCAS , RED N TACKY . the original generic grease will absolutely  fail and get noisy , with heat and stress .   after greasing carefully pop the seals back in , that is unless you want to install new bearings , I  also redo grease on new bearings , because they fail ,not a single failure  or noise since going to hi temp grease. take the time to verify every movement point on that blower , it should move with ease, including the rotating chute assembly,  did a total maintenance service on a two stage this past summer ,went from frozen rust , to operating with ease, did not mean to offend anyone with the grease improvement , point , but why not stop a problem , while you are there ?  pete   

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, Diesel_Brad said:

I'm just jumping on this thread.  I bought a used 48" blower for my tractor last year. I'm just tinkering with it now.

Chain appears to be seized.  It was missing the "yoke" that goes into the Lift rod. I just got it today. I'm going to work on getting that chain changed out and see if I can get it on the tractor and see if it will chew up a couple left over piles

48"? There are 2(3) sizes of WH/TORO snow throwers/blowers 1) the 36" single stage with side extensions goes to 42" (thrower) and then 2) the 44" 2 stage (blower), WH offered a "Berco" 38" 2stage before the TORO 44" came out.   Also if not mentioned before the "xi series" version of the 2 stage blower,  if I'm not mistaken is belt driven to the main pulley on the impeller therefore NO chain drive like that on the classic series with jackshaft gearboxes because of the side PTO which would eliminate that as a possible cause of noises/vibrations.

Diesel_Brad
21 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

48"? There are 2(3) sizes of WH/TORO snow throwers/blowers 1) the 36" single stage with side extensions goes to 42" (thrower) and then 2) the 44" 2 stage (blower), WH offered a "Berco" 38" 2stage before the TORO 44" came out.   Also if not mentioned before the "xi series" version of the 2 stage blower,  if I'm not mistaken is belt driven to the main pulley on the impeller therefore NO chain drive like that on the classic series with jackshaft gearboxes because of the side PTO which would eliminate that as a possible cause of noises/vibrations.

The thread title is "Noisy 5xi Two Stage Blower"

Diesel_Brad
On 12/31/2020 at 10:24 AM, Kurt-NEPA said:

That should be a standard chain,  #40 if I remember correctly.  I get mine from TSC, cut to length and install.  A spray of chain lube once is while is a good idea.

Best of luck getting it running.
Keep us posted on your progress, we love pictures!

Thanks, but it should be here tomorrow. I wish I knew TSC had it I could if had it running last weekend

Diesel_Brad
23 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Toro Wheel Horse snow blower lift flag with lift assist spring bracket #101461 (wheelhorsepartsandmore.com)

Also check those idlers ... known to wear out and the teeth on the drive sprocket. 

Yep #40 chain Kurt

Yup. That would of been the one That I just paid $200 for. But I will say mine does look different

WVHillbilly520H
32 minutes ago, Diesel_Brad said:

The thread title is "Noisy 5xi Two Stage Blower"

Sir, the 2stage blower is 44" wide not 48" same as the classic except for final drive and and tractor attachment points.

IMAG1593.jpg

Screenshot_20210101-112353.png

Screenshot_20210101-112455.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

WVHillbilly520H
On 12/31/2020 at 11:05 AM, WHX24 said:

Yep #40 chain Kurt

That's for the single stage throwers of the classic series... Not xi. 

32 minutes ago, Diesel_Brad said:

Yup. That would of been the one That I just paid $200 for. But I will say mine does look different

22 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I see that since I did not ever own one of the xi versions it does indeed have chain and sprockets, my bad and I applogize, but I did have both classic and xi singles.

IMAG2989.jpg

Diesel_Brad

My bad, the 2 stage blower is 44".  My plow is 48"

Edited by Diesel_Brad

Diesel_Brad

Well, I got it on. This thing is an ANIMAL. I was chewing through a 3' high ice bank. It was sending the snow 25'

But I will say, I need to add more weight to the back. 200# of wheel weights, 150# of rim guard and my 250# is not enough.

I'l have to make a bracket across my ROPS for a couple suitcase weights

• Like 1

Diesel_Brad
On 1/8/2018 at 4:08 PM, Kurt-NEPA said:

Update on ildler pulleys.  I didn't like the price for the Toro idler pulleys in the pulley box.  So I went on the hunt and found a Cub Cadet pulley that looked very similar.  I ordered one to take a look. Price was almost 1/3.

Cub Cadet Info

Cub Cadet Commercial 02005079 V-Idler Pulley

Replaces: CUB CADET: 02005079, 756-3045, 75604522, 956-3045, 9563045A  and GRAVELY: 07340100

Dimensions and Specifications: ID 3/8"  X OD 5" X HEIGHT 1-1/8"

I checked all the dimensions.  They are almost a perfect match.  The only difference I could see is with the bushing height.  The Toro bushing is .178" higher than the Cub. So a simple spacer would be required or just press out the bushings and swap.

Note this 5xi two stage pulley is the same pulley that is used with the 5xi 48" and 52" deck pulley boxes.

Some Pics - Old Pulley on Left

Hope this helps someone down the road.

After using mine a little bit I see quite a bit of delimitation of pulleys and it tis chewing up the belt. I just went an order the cub cadet pulleys. 4 of them for the cost of ONE toro one.  

Edited by Diesel_Brad

Kurt-NEPA
17 minutes ago, Diesel_Brad said:

After using mine a little bit I see quite a bit of delimitation of pulleys and it tis chewing up the belt. I just went an order the cub cadet pulleys. 4 of them for the cost of ONE toro one.  

That is what I found too.  Toro sure does value those idlers.  I tried replacing the bearings in one and didn't have much luck.  I got it to work, but it wasn't pretty.

Good luck with the pulleys.

Kurt-NEPA
On 1/1/2021 at 6:55 PM, Diesel_Brad said:

Well, I got it on. This thing is an ANIMAL. I was chewing through a 3' high ice bank. It was sending the snow 25'

But I will say, I need to add more weight to the back. 200# of wheel weights, 150# of rim guard and my 250# is not enough.

I'l have to make a bracket across my ROPS for a couple suitcase weights

Agreed, it is a beast.  I needed ballast weights on mine too.  I added about 150 lbs. hanging off my fabricated trailer hitch.  That really helped.

Rear Weights.jpg

Diesel_Brad

Ok guys.  Ive been using the blower for the past 2 storms.

I changed out the idler plus that Kurt suggested, I just use 2 3/8 washers as a spacer.

No problems ,TILL TODAY.  I had to take the tractor down to my moms to clean up the mess her plow guy left behind.

I was chewing into a frozen pile and I broke the chain(actually the master link came apart).

When I went to put it back together I saw the gears are not lined up.  The shaft that goes out to the impeller and to the gear box is able to move forward and backward by about 3/8 of an inch.

WHAt keeps the shaft in place so the gears stay lined up.

Also I noticed my impeller has a bend to it that it can contact the housing itself and the is $450!!!

Edited by Diesel_Brad

WVHillbilly520H

You can straighten the impeller fan in a vise if you disassemble, the 2stage I bought years ago was a basket case must have ate quite a few cinder blocks, but if its not too terrible run until spring then repair.

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Diesel_Brad said:

When I went to put it back together I saw the gears are not lined p.  The shaft that goes out to the impeller and to the gear box is able to move forward and backward by about 3/8 of an inch.

WHAT keeps the shaft in place so the gears stay lined up.

It sounds like the bearing behind the sprocket is loose or destroyed.

stevebo

I just replaced a broken chain on my xi two stager. There are two idler sprockets at the bottom. You may want to check those. 

Diesel_Brad
8 hours ago, stevebo said:

I just replaced a broken chain on my xi two stager. There are two idler sprockets at the bottom. You may want to check those. 

they seem to be good, but I'll give them  better look

9 hours ago, lynnmor said:

It sounds like the bearing behind the sprocket is loose or destroyed.

That was my fear. Does that have a set screw to hold it tight to the shaft?

I', assuming the front augers, gear box, etc will need to come off in order to access the bearing?

12 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

You can straighten the impeller fan in a vise if you disassemble, the 2stage I bought years ago was a basket case must have ate quite a few cinder blocks, but if its not too terrible run until spring then repair.

Well If I have to tear into it to fix the bearing, a couple of whacks with a good-sized hammer to "straighten" the impeller should not be too bad

Edited by Diesel_Brad

Handy Don
4 hours ago, Diesel_Brad said:

couple of whacks with a good-sized hammer to "straighten" the impeller should not be too bad

I try to use the "double crescent wrench" method to straighten bent plate or sheet metal. Hitting it can make it brittle at the impact points.

Diesel_Brad

Well, I found my "issues"

The bearing behind the impeller has a collar. The screws were loose allowing it to move with put a grove in the shaft and took a chunk out of the bearing where the collar rides.

Next up, I guess when the chin came off it bent the housing where the adjustment idler sprocket is mounted and both idler sprockets are noisy.

Then the small drive gear(the one the belt drives) is loose and wore the teeth almost sharp.

Also one of the bearings for the drive shaft the collar has broken off seat screws and it is loose.

I pulled the impeller and straightened that the best I could and bent some of the :"fins" back

So I ordered 3 bearings(thank god my local toro/NH dealer is getting me after market ones at $16 each VS the $75 ones toro sells)

2 idler sprockets

1 drive gear ($117)

He says they should be here wednesday 

emdmat1981

In post #30 of this thread, if it helps on your project, there is a Toro Technician Tip on proper installation of the Eccentric Locking Collar.   

Diesel_Brad

I just wanted to add some info to the thread for others or future use

the toro bearing #110569 is $72 

SKF# YET 205-014 is about $15

A&I  # RA100RRB is about  $20  Timken also uses the same number

• Like 1