IanT720

Fuel in oil... Again...

IanT720

Hopefully this is an easy one for the fellas and ladies on here... bought a 520H with the 20hp ONAN... checked the oil when I got home. It was like water... smelled of fuel. It had been sitting for a year at this point. So I changed the oil, ran it. Seemed fine.. started it a week later... Oil was iffy... so I ordered a new float and float valve. It’s the usual culprit. And changed the oil again. Used it all summer seemed great. Now I haven’t ran it in a solid month or two.. and checked the oil and it’s all thin and smells of gas again! So... I noticed it was stored with the fuel valve on the bottom of the tank open. Should it of been closed? Is this why?  Getting sick of changing the oil... 

ol550

Would invest in a fuel pump.  Vacuum operated, most likely a bad diaphram.  About $30 on $bay.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Spareparts

I don't mess with the tank vale anymore, most of the time they don't shut the fuel off all the way and most of the time leak if disturbed.

I go to TSCand get a inline 1/4 turn valve and install in line, and as suggesten the fuel pump could be bypassing  fuel.

• Like 2

cleat

I second the fuel pump.

A hole in the diaphragm would pass fuel directly into the crankcase.

Since the carb on a 520 is much higher than the tank, I would not think that a bad float would

cause your problem.

Cleat

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

And :text-welcomeconfetti:

Good to see another Michigander!!!

Grew up in Ann Arbor but we did our skiing and tubing on Whitmore Lake!!!

953 nut

:WRS:          Reading your post the vacuum fuel pump came to my mind also, I am an advocate of installing electric fuel pumps if the factory pump has a problem.

• Like 1

IanT720

Would of never guessed the fuel pump! I will investigate! Thanks for the tips!!!

• Like 2