Sign in to follow this  
RJC1965

44inch two stage leaking at gear case

RJC1965

Hi to all and Happy Thanksgiving. 

Well i was able to get the 2 Stage Blower hooked up to the 520, put on  a new chain and lubed all the critical areas. Ran the blower and it sounded great as compared to the Video that WVHillbilly sent me of his 520. Well i did have to add some lube to the gear case in the front of the blower i used a Mobile 75W-90 synthetic hope that was ok as the manual called for a 90 weight. Well it is leaking out of the gasket so my questions are as follows. 

1. Can I take the gear case apart with it attached to the Tractor? and how hard it it to pull apart. 

2. Were is the best place to buy the gasket and bushings.

3. WVHillbillly I saw in one of your post a while back that you found some of the rubber side seals that you said worked better than the original ones if this is the case where did you get them as I can not find the post that I believe I saw them in. 

Thank you 

Rod

WVHillbilly520H

I blew my entire 2stage apart to refurb it, that front gear could be opened up without removing the auger so change the gasket but not the seals, and I work in an industrial facility and happened upon a better set of "quad seals" (flat o-rings) the biggest difference is the factory (left in 1st pic) were I.D. oversize where as the ones I used(right 1st pic) were snug fitting O.D. and I.D., I believe @wallfish used Lubriplate engine assembly grease in the gear box without issue for years, Jeff.

IMAG2475.jpg

IMAG2476.jpg

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

I forgot to answer your other questions, the gasket I got off eBay, buy I'm pretty sure it's the same gearbox used on their walk behinds, as far as the gearbox bushings (there's 3) I made my own at work as well as the thrust washer bearings, the auger bushings should still be available through TORO for now, I went ahead and converted to cam lock regreasable bearings like others here on RS, Jeff.   Partstree.com still shows most parts available...

Screenshot_20171124-173304.png

Screenshot_20171124-173258.png

Screenshot_20171124-173234.png

Screenshot_20171124-173223.png

Screenshot_20171124-173135.png

RJC1965

thank you Jeff I will order the parts through Parts Tree on closer inspection it appears the leak is from the rear rubber seal. I am going to refill and run it one more time before I pull it apart to be sure. 

• Like 1