snowhound

Need Advice

snowhound

There is an add in the local CL for a 418-8 that has sat outside for about 10 years and hasn't been started in about 10 years. The seller was asking $300 and has dropped to $200 should I buy or not.  It looks decent in the photo and has a mowing deck, it looks like a 42".  It is located in Southern NH.

• Like 1

953 nut

Wheel Horses are tough, but not indestructible. Ten years in the elements can do a lot of damage and it is likely that this will be a parts donor rather than a satisfying project. First thing I would do is find out why it was abandoned in the first place, chances are it would be a money pit. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine

I saw that ad yesterday while perusin' for no particular reason...

I agree it doesn't look too bad in the pics.

Here's my take:

Add up the dollar value of the Parts and make sure it's worth the cash, gas, and (maybe) time value for you to go get it.

The seat is likely not awesome and the tires as well.

The chassis looks pretty complete overall and it has a mower.

If it's not too rusty you'll have your $$ value, parts alone.

If you go get it and IFF it needs major work to run that you don't want to put into it, then you won't lose the money.

BTW - They're advertising that tractor on at least 3 different CL states so they reeelly want it gone... Might be less than $200 with cash in hand...

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

If the engine isn't seized,it may be worth his asking price.I've paid a lot more for a lot less.Just thinking.Almost every Horse I've bought needs the same things done to make it useable.Battery,at least a couple tires,carb rebuild,fuel tank cleaning,fuel lines and fuel  filter,air filter,all fluids changed,good de-rodenting and clean-up,and the list goes on and on.At least you'd be starting out with a kinda desireable,at least in my book,tractor.And.........all of us here know what a good mower deck is worth.

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug:  If I was up in New Hampstah...

it would've already been gone.  :sad-bored:

00W0W_9D6J2AMeZKc_600x450.jpg

• Like 5

Shynon
11 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:confusion-shrug:  If I was up in New Hampstah...

it would've already been gone.  :sad-bored:

00W0W_9D6J2AMeZKc_600x450.jpg

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 3

Jerry77

Makes you wonder...steering wheel looks bent...whoa....rode hard and (not put away ) wet...:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

JoeM

I guess it all depends if your playing for love or money. If your wanting to flip and make cash need to get it for less, say $150. 

For hobby purposes sounds like a buy at $200.

So many times I have been asked about the tractors I work on. I explain that those things pretty much keep my sanity. A hobby..... tinkering and trying to make it run again. I would sell, trade, give them to my kids. Most of the time keep them.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

BOB ELLISON

Looking at this one I think if you want a project tractor go for it. When i found my c160 it sat for years out in a field .

Grass and weeds and vines  grew up through it. But It did have a good engine with very little work to get running. But I wanted to completely go through it anyway. So I did a frame off restore. A lot of time and a little money but it turned out to be my best tractor. The engine is the most money you will have tied up. If it has a good engine you will have a good tractor for years. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

oldlineman

LOOKS TO BE A 48 " DECK ALSO.

• Like 2

Skipper

At that price I would not even think twice :-)

• Like 3

ACman

:text-yeahthat:.... agree with al the above. If the engine has good compression and spark (take battery with you) it’s a score just for parts  :twocents-02cents: ... but why was it parked for ten years is the $100 question (that’s where I’d start negotiating as you can always go up) transmission, steering, electrical issues, ect. The deck also looks to have a hole in the lower left side or heavy rust. Use all this to your advantage and you might just get a cheap :wh:Horse .

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

dells68

Where I live, that is a cream puff   And, like Richard has said, we live in a wheel horse desert.  So, that's a steal.  I'd already have it if it was just a few hours away!  Go!  Go!  Go!

• Like 1

c-series don

I'm sure if you went there with 150 cash they would probably take it. If either the transmission or the engine are good it's worth that. The electric lift is worth that.I would go with a good battery, an air tank and a chemical resistant spray bottle full of gas. I prefer the spray bottle with gas over ether because if it starts you can run in it this way without damaging the engine. I've rescued several tractors this way just to get them to the trailer or in the truck. Honestly though the way the hood,steering wheel and seat are bent it makes me think this tractor has been rolled over. Not that that may hurt it mechanically unless it ran upside down!! With an 18hp, 8-speed transmission, and the electric lift that would be a great tractor to rototill with. If it were closer I would be very tempted. 

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

One thing to check is pull the air cleaner and look at the oil also thatslotted hood let's a lot of water in the carb 

• Like 1

artfull dodger

I would take $150 in cash, not even try to fire it up as if it tries to start, will be harder to talk him down further.  Make sure you have a way to infate the tires or a good winch on the trailer.  Save the horse and take her home for rehab.  

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

image.png.11b88bade745fb50704172b845eeda51.png

End of season and i am noticing prices dropping.This one is a 312-8 for 425. If I were in the market for a worker , this looks like a good one. The owner is emphasizing that this is a TRACTOR and not a cheap thing from a box store. He also states that everything is in working condition. If you read between the lines, i bet this guy is tired of lookers who don't know the difference. That is when you might be able to go in there and offer maybe 375 and take it with you as it has been posted for a month For me, a running tractor at this price that looks garage kept will beat a $200 one stored outside with holes in the deck all day long.

If I would have seen this ad when we were in Michigan last week, I might have been tempted to rent a little van and bring it home. Even though I prefer the C-series older stuff, this is an  example that  would bear looking into.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

Pollack Pete

Well Snowhound.....did you buy it or not???? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, ohiofarmer said:

Even though I prefer the C-series older stuff, this is an  example that  would bear looking into.

Like you, I prefer the C's...

I'm not opposed to owning a nice smooth running 3,4 series in the future. ....

Nice example there it seems