Bushradical

310-8 gear lube level

Bushradical

Hey everybody, first post , love the forum. I just bought a 310-8 tractor ( my second Wheel Horse) ( my other is a B-80)...........When checking fluids, I found there was no gear lube on the trend dipstick. BUT, when I took out the square plug on the left side of the tranny lube came right up out of the hole.  Is there another place you fill these trannies from to get the level up the dipstick OR do you fill until its level with the angled fill hole on the left?    

Ed Kennell

Make sure the dip stick tube has not pulled up out of the tranny.

I don't have a 310-8, but others should be here soon to offer advice.

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

• Like 1

Bushradical

Thanks Ed. I'll check to make sure the tube is seated. 

stevasaurus

If you have oil coming out the fill hole, you have enough oil in the trans.  The top of the fill marks on the dip stick should be relatively even with that plug.  :)

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

953 nut

:WRS:       310-8 is a great machine. Was the oil in good condition? Some times a little water will get in there and give a milky appearance.

• Like 1

Bushradical

I think I found the answer in another post. They said to go by the dip stick, that the casting of the uni-drive was made for 3/4 speed and with the 8 speed tranny the oil is above the fill hole before it gets to the dipstick. I have a b-80 with the same tranny and the two dipsticks are the same. The b-80 has lube on the stick inside the marks and when you loosen the square fill plug oil runs right out. So It seems obvious that there needs to be more oil in the trans that the original film hole will allow. I also read they didn't add the dipstick until the 6/8 speed tranny came out and the oil level ended to be higher than the hole. 

• Excellent 1

Lee1977

There is about a half quart difference between the plug on the side and the 2 quarts required for the 8 speed transmission. I found that after having the 312-8 apart and refilling it.

Edited by Lee1977