a.dumont

PTO Implements

a.dumont

According to the PTO installation manual, Wheel Horse uses a 1" 15-spline PTO with a male to female quick coupler. At full engine rpm, it is set to turn at 2,000rpm in a clockwise direction as viewed from the rear.

That said, has anyone attempted to locate an adapter to go from the 15-spline to a 1 3/8" 6-spline (current standard).

Has anyone found a gearbox reducer?

Has anyone located any NEW implements designed for 2,000 rpms that will work on these? (I know most sub-compacts run 2,000 mid PTOs, but I haven't seen anything for the rear.)

pacer

I just bought a '78 Massey Ferguson 1650 which is similar in size to the WH "D" family and it came with a tiller. On researching it (I had never known Massey made GT's) I found that the PTO ran at 2000rpm like the D's....

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

My Troy Bilt GTX is the same way. I am going to follow this thread closely. The best way to get the proper speed is to probably go to a hydraulic system. It would be easier. Put a pump on the tractor and then use a hydraulic motor with the standard 6 spline output. You would just need to control the flow rate. 

Here is a motor for instance: http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Dynamic/4-95-cu-in-PTO-Drive-Motor-9-7368-80.axd

If you don't have many attachments you could put hydraulic quick coupler outputs on the tractor and put individual hydraulic motors on the implements and do away with pulleys and gears reductions and just use the motor to spin the implement at the right speed. You would just buy the motor to go at the right speed and this would have less parts to go wrong. 

I did find one gear box that is designed for a generator. You could get a different the 1"-15T lovejoy coupler up to the gearbox on one end and use the output on the other. Look here:

http://cgg1.com/ptogearbox.htm

I know some of the other manufacturers optionally had gear boxes but they will be really hard to find. 

Interested on hearing other's thoughts.

a.dumont

Just found one holy grail. This company sells male and female, 15-spline, yokes that accept u-joints. So it's a start. I figure that from here I could easily get a 6-spline yoke and connect with a shaft. At least I would be able to get a front-mount snow blower on it now.

http://www.paulbparts.com/product/weasler-pto-shaft-weld-yoke-domestic-6-series-1-15-spline-male-shaft/

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Evguy
      By Evguy
      I recently purchased a GT1800 with a blown engine with the intent of conversion to electric. 
      This is my first Wheel Horse and I have never seen it running. I need a little work on it but it looks sound.
      I will not be hacking it up, If this project goes poorly, I would want to bring it back to stock operation with new engine.
       I will be creating a blog at some point to show conversation. 
      Budget will be tight, I will be using parts from past projects, but motor will be new permanent magnet DC. 
      Voltage will be 48v, as many old lithium batteries that I can fit in. I plan to retain pto clutch.

• Steiner430!
      By Steiner430!
      Will a c series transaxle fit in a b series? The dip stick tube looks to tall to fit under the fender. What modifications does it take to make this work?
    • Team70R
      By Team70R
      Pulled the cord on my HH60 tonight and it made a hellacious noise resulting in the cord pulling alllll the way out.... And staying out. Got an electric starter sitting on my junk H60... Will it work!!?? Or should I rebuild the pull start? 
    • bds1984
      By bds1984
      I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to the four-bolt hub on my C165.  I have a swept axle up front with 16 6.50-8 ags up front and I'm considering this upgrade to make wheel swaps much easier.  So, to those of you whom have went with this swap, will the offset of the 18-8.50-8 tires and rims stick out farther than the rear?  Right now I have 1.5" wheel spacers on the rear end to make both axles have the same tread width.  The rims that I am looking at are ones found on a golf cart as I can get them with almost new tires for $10 a piece although I'm considering upgrading to four or six ply ribbed tires later on and loading them for extra weight and traction.  My only concerns are the clearances between the rim/tire against the axle and the front end having a wider track than the rear; I'm not concerned about the diameter of the tires.  Any thoughts or tips are appreciated!
    • JoeM
      By JoeM
      Started another project this fall, I decided to install a 10 HP Chinese Diesel in a rescued C85. I worked a good price from Carroll Stream this spring on an engine and when I picked up the C85 in WV, I thought that would make a good fit. And like everything else I do, it got a little carried away!
      Frist thought was making a worker, now slowly turning into a show pony.
      The C85 black hood worked well because of the vast room under the hood. I made up threaded mounting blocks from 3/8†bar stock for mounting the engine. The engine was too close to the top of the hood to allow the compression release to rotate; I made a new hood hinge and raised the hood 3/4â€. A small teak on the side of the hood using a bar clamp and that made enough room to clear the air cleaner.
      Then came new paint, tires, a stack, (with chrome tip), a sleeve hitch and much more. It is now about 90% now. Hope to be done next month; I will shoot more pics when completed.
      Thanks for looking.
      Joe