Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

New E-Bay Scam

Sparky

Well I consider myself pretty sharp....YOU CAN ALL STOP LAUGHING NOW:angry: .... but I got caught up in an e-bay scam yesterday.

Heres how it played out. I get an e-mail from an e-bay seller with a question that went like this "Are you still interested?". That was it. It claimed that I had bid on one of his items and to view the item I had to click on the View Item Box. I knew that I hadent bid on anything of his but figured maybe my wife had so I clicked on the View Item Box and then a very familiar sreen came up asking me to sign into e-bay just like it does when I need to sign in to bid or check out items that I'm selling. So I signed in with my e-bay name and password and it seemed to take awhile for it to "process". I got tired of waiting after 30 seconds or so (with Hi-Speed Cable Internet I'm used to everthing happenin in just a few seconds) so 30+ seemed to long so I got out of it but not before my ID and password were stolen. Today I got an e-mail from e-bay saying my account had been compromised so I had to go thru the process of changing my password. I was able to keep my e-bay name.

So be carefull guys! And if ya get an e-mail thats even remotely strange sounding from e-bay or Pay-Pal forward it to e-bay and they will verify it for ya.

Mike......older and wiser now....

nylyon

So did you find out what they may have done while having access? Guess you got to hand it to eBay for picking that up and taking care of it for ya. Glad it's all fixed up for ya.

Sparky

I have no idea what they did while it was hi-jacked. Who ever did it wouldnt have access to my Pay-Pal account so I dont know what good it would be to have my password. I suppose they could've bid on something but whats that get them?

I guess I just dont understand the criminal mind.

Mike.....safe and secure again......

nylyon

I guess they could list items erroneously with a 1 day auction, then have immediate payment to their paypal address.... I saw a 314-H once an what struck me as odd was 3 things. First, it said "FREE SHIPPING", second it said to not use the ask seller a question and finally, I remembered seeing this listed before. So I sent a question to the e-mail address listed and asked if they were for real with the FREE SHIPPING. I got a response (in broken english) which basically told me that it was indeed free and to bid as soon as possible and they would ship it out as soon as they received my payment.

Well glad that you're back to being all sured up!