SPINJIM

Manual Lift for 2-stage snow-thrower ???

SPINJIM

Has anyone tried to use the Manual Lift or the Electric lift for the heavy 2-stage snow blower ?     I have a 417-8 with electric lift, but the 2-stage blower is so heavy, I'm afraid of breaking the electric actuator, even when using the Lift Assist spring.    I ran a single-stage blower using the electric lift last winter, but I just picked up a 2-stage.  The beast weighs about 350 pounds.    Can't imagine a manual lift would even be possible with that weight.

Thanks,  Jim

Edited by SPINJIM

squonk

images.jpg.b9fd28b747f6baef116b10ec005720f2.jpg

Can't imagine even trying it myself. I hurt my back trying to lift a 10"moldboard out of the ground. Another issue is the condition of the crank arm. winter is the season of stories of broken crank arms on our beloved horsies. :(

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell

Where's Eric @ericj  ?    I'm sure he must have at least one 2 stage on a manual lift.    I never had one Jim, but I think they have a lever system that reduces the load on the lift arm.    When I had my single on the manual lift C-120,  I had 3 lift springs that balanced the blower so It actually floated.

5a16080d804c5_IMG_1874(640x480).jpg.a5d03ca59d90f21bbde3cf4609c3f85d.jpg5a16081370e7c_IMG_1875(640x480).jpg.6ad1d13465871a0746285c00dfe315d6.jpg

• Like 5

WVHillbilly520H

The 2stage I have now PO ran on a 314-8 then 315-8 with manual lift, and the 1 I let get away was on a C160 manual lift and both guys said it wasn't that bad with the assist spring (biggest spring in pics), also if you search, there's a member on here with video of 2stage on a manual and he's not straining to lift it, it also has a compound lift linkage which I believe takes less effort than the single rod in the single stage thrower, Jeff.

IMAG3687.jpg

IMAG3689.jpg

IMAG3692.jpg

• Like 6

nylyon

Got my 2-stage over the summer, it was hooked up to a 310-8.  I was actually surprised how light it felt with the manual lift.  All the same, it's sitting on a hydro-lift horse now so it feels even lighter :)

• Like 2

SPINJIM
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The 2stage I have now PO ran on a 314-8 then 315-8 with manual lift, and the 1 I let get away was on a C160 manual lift and both guys said it wasn't that bad with the assist spring (biggest spring in pics),

Thanks Jeff for the pics.    That larger spring in your pictures is much heavier than the one that came with my blower.   Maybe that's why the P O sold it.    It doesn't look like the same length spring that would be used with the single-stage.    Could you please measure the length of that heavy spring for me ?   I can't seem to find a part number for it in the Manual.  

Thanks again,   Jim

rjg854

Check out Glenn Petitt, a vendor here that sells the spring you're looking for.   I've gotten them from him, that's what you want. 

WVHillbilly520H
10 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Thanks Jeff for the pics.    That larger spring in your pictures is much heavier than the one that came with my blower.   Maybe that's why the P O sold it.    It doesn't look like the same length spring that would be used with the single-stage.    Could you please measure the length of that heavy spring for me ?   I can't seem to find a part number for it in the Manual.  

Thanks again,   Jim

OK Jim the longer spring is for the idler pulley, then the helper is the larger/wider spring that goes on the right side is the same as the tiller/single stage spring.

IMAG2506.jpg

IMAG3753.jpg

IMAG1708.jpg

• Thanks 1

fast88pu

My 2 stage lifts 100x easier then my tall chute did with the spring on it.   Manual lift too

• Like 1

SPINJIM
55 minutes ago, fast88pu said:

My 2 stage lifts 100x easier then my tall chute did with the spring on it.   Manual lift too

I recently realized that the 2-stage should have TWO lift assist springs instead of the single spring that the tall chute has.   The P O of mine lost both springs, and tried to replace them with one light-duty spring.   That's probably why he sold it.    I think I need one heavy spring mounted mid-frame down to the lift rod, and the second one up front attached to the Attach-a-matic bracket.    Is that how yours is rigged ???

Thanks,   Jim

P.S. - If yours has two springs, is the length of both springs the same ?

Edited by SPINJIM

WVHillbilly520H

The springs are different here's the exploded view, and NLA, the big one that goes up front can be had from @wheelhorseman, I'm sure if we had the measurements Toro part # 110614 ,#40 in the diagram, one could be procured from TSC for the lift arm, Jeff.

Screenshot_20171124-174122.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Thanks 1

fast88pu
7 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

I recently realized that the 2-stage should have TWO lift assist springs instead of the single spring that the tall chute has.   The P O of mine lost both springs, and tried to replace them with one light-duty spring.   That's probably why he sold it.    I think I need one heavy spring mounted mid-frame down to the lift rod, and the second one up front attached to the Attach-a-matic bracket.    Is that how yours is rigged ???

Thanks,   Jim

P.S. - If yours has two springs, is the length of both springs the same ?

Mine only has one spring on the right side. 

• Thanks 1