ebinmaine

Where does everyone buy shop chemicals?

ebinmaine

Best online source? 

Or do you do better locally? 

KC9KAS

What "chemicals" are you referring to?

squonk

Online means shipping. Shipping chemicals add to the cost with hazardous permits ect. Go down to Napa, Autozone ect. TSC has an excellent brake cleaner and Walmart has a carb cleaner that will take the fur off of your carcass! :)

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

1 hour ago, squonk said:

Online means shipping. Shipping chemicals add to the cost with hazardous permits ect. Go down to Napa, Autozone ect. TSC has an excellent brake cleaner and Walmart has a carb cleaner that will take the fur off of your carcass! :)

Excellent. Nothing like a good carcass defurring.

:ROTF:

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

hondagod64

Wallmart for both carb and brakekleen...also sea-foam in liquid and spray,,,I found to be the cheapest to the wallet

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

What "chemicals" are you referring to?

Mostly brake and carb clean but others as well

squonk

If you have a Runnings nearby, They usually have Seafoam for less than 7 bucks. Also CRC Brakekleen is on sale quite often there as well. 

Edited by squonk

ebinmaine
Just now, squonk said:

If you have a Runnings nearby, They usually have Seafoam for less than 7 bucks. Also CRC Brakekleen is on dale quite often there as well. 

Never heard of Runnings so I don't think I have any of them here. Napa is independent up here so they were a little off on the price. Walmart I think, is going to be the way to go.

Any thoughts on how long these spray cans will sit on the Shelf? I've heard rumors that the propellant slowly goes out of them.

Racinbob

I don't think that's an issue. I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner for about everything from cleaning firearms to tractor stuff and buy a cabinet full when it's on sale. I'm sure I've had some many months old or even a year or two if I screw up the rotation and never had a problem. :)

• Like 2

hondagod64

I also have cans of both and never had a problem with them not working when needed only when its cold out but warming them up...back in action

• Like 1

Aldon

What is the brand of the Walmart Carb cleaner that is aggressive

AMC RULES

Image result for walmart carb cleaner

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

want the better quality stuff.        .

HAHAHAHAHA  !!!!

ALWAYS use the better stuff. 

• Like 1

Sarge

Just a few words of caution -

There are some chemicals that should not be stored together , especially any oxidizers . Try to avoid using Chlorinated brake cleaners - there are some serious hazards in their use and especially with welding/prep . I use Wally's brake cleaner , non-chlorinated version as it's just cheap and leaves nearly no residue - I go through a lot of it . For paint prep and cleaning grease residue prior to welding I prefer acetone over anything , plus it's excellent to wipe down tig rod prior to use . You have to shop around if you want to buy in any quantities for most stuff and be prepared for some wide ranging prices - amazing how much difference there is in retailers on the same product . There are a few things I order online - Kroil being one of them and I buy that by the gallon , far cheaper that way and use a chemical compatible spray bottle for it . It's always best to research any given chemical and read it's safety data sheets on use/hazards/storage . This will keep you safe and out of trouble and mitigate the potential of a fire/burn . Some auto/truck shops order supplies by the case - if you know the right person sometimes you can buy case quantities that way and get things at a far lower cost - I routinely pick up cases of certain supplies from a friend that owns a diesel shop - cuts my cost in half and gives me access to things only available directly to that industry as many won't sell to the Public . Since I've worked in local shops I still have access to some suppliers and a way into buying from them for bulk supplies - I have to lay out the money to get there but in the long game it's a lot cheaper buying direct in quantity .

I've been on the hunt lately for some disposable gloves that are compatible for use with brake cleaners - tired of my hands having nerve issues from injuries and chemical exposure but so far I have yet to find some that will withstand the stuff past a very short duration . The ones I had previously aren't made any more and were only available for industrial use - time to call McMaster again and put them to work , they should be able to find a solution , love that company as a resource and supplier .

Sarge

ACman

@Ed Kennell you holding out on us at the Big Show :occasion-xmas: .

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

avoid using Chlorinated brake cleaners - there are some serious hazards in their use and especially with welding/prep

What are the hazards there?

I've never actually had very good luck with the non-chlorinated brake clean but I also haven't bought any for a few years now. Maybe better than it used to be?

I don't do any welding but I will be cleaning the tractor this winter for fresh paint. So paint prep is a concern for me.

Sarge

The chlorine can cause some serious skin and nerve damage for starters . If it gets in your eyes then the real problems start although the stuff is not nearly as potent as it used to be . It should never be used around welding work - especially tig/mig or any inert gas process as it can cause some weird reactions when burned inside the gas shielding . There were several welders that died mysteriously and they finally figured out the chlorine in that brake clean was hiding a residue in the metal joints/cracks - when the tig melted that area it produced phosgene gas .

This one survived , barely -

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/MHMI/mmg176.pdf

Taken directly from OSHA and their hazards bulletins -

Inert-gas metal-arc welding.

1926.353(d)(1)

Since the inert-gas metal-arc welding process involves the production of ultra-violet radiation of intensities of 5 to 30 times that produced during shielded metal-arc welding, the decomposition of chlorinated solvents by ultraviolet rays, and the liberation of toxic fumes and gases, employees shall not be permitted to engage in, or be exposed to the process until the following special precautions have been taken:

1926.353(d)(1)(i)

The use of chlorinated solvents shall be kept at least 200 feet, unless shielded, from the exposed arc, and surfaces prepared with chlorinated solvents shall be thoroughly dry before welding is permitted on such surfaces.

Like I said - research what you use and it's ingredients - it can save your life .

Sarge

ClassicTractorProfessor

I buy most all my chemicals from NAPA or AutoZone. My opinion Berryman B12 is the best carb cleaner I've found...and AutoZone brand brake cleaner works better than anything else around here...i buy it two or three cases at a time when it comes on sale. As far as penetrating oil I do buy that from our little small town parts store...i use Castle Thrust and he is the only one who carries it around here...pretty pricey at 13 bucks a can but well worth it

squonk

I use the NON-FLAMMABLE brakecleaner. I've seen the the non-chlorinated ignite when sprayed on a mildly warm item.

Speaking of buying in bulk, I remember about 15 yrs. ago while at Napa. Bitter cold winter. Local landfill dealing with sub -60 windchills on top of the mountain. They ordered 3 pallets of diesel  anti-gel in qt. bottles. They would have saved if they bought it in bbls. but they needed it to be brought up to the top quickly and easily.  I remember calling the order in. Wharehouse thought I was nuts! :)

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Wharehouse thought I was nuts! :)

Hahaha. Was that the  ONLY   reason they thought you were nuts??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine Eric you beat me to the question. Been wonder about @squonkfor a couple of years.

• Haha 3

ClassicTractorProfessor
6 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@ebinmaine Eric you beat me to the question. Been wonder about @squonkfor a couple of years.

I think we all wonder about @squonk from time to time:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

squonk

Man I'm gettin tore up in here! :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Big_Red_Fred
6 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

I buy most all my chemicals from NAPA or AutoZone. My opinion Berryman B12 is the best carb cleaner I've found...and AutoZone brand brake cleaner works better than anything else around here...i buy it two or three cases at a time when it comes on sale. As far as penetrating oil I do buy that from our little small town parts store...i use Castle Thrust and he is the only one who carries it around here...pretty pricey at 13 bucks a can but well worth it

I work for a Chemical company, haul Haz & Non Haz, just squeeze my shirt, ya may get sum good stuff, yes i do Glow in dark, they use me for town Xmas tree topper LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4