ClassicTractorProfessor

New Shop

PeacemakerJack

You said it bro!!!!  The only unfortunate thing about a heated work space in the cold north is that now you won’t have the most popular excuse as to why you can’t work on your tractors in the winter months.:whistle:

• Like 1

Sarge

Shop is looking great - leds will save your eyes over time , you'll appreciate that on long days in the shed, trust me on that.

I'm dying to see that 1277 get restored - it really looks like a great candidate. Can't wait to tear into mine, money input is going to hurt but the old war horse sure deserves it...

Sarge

• Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
6 hours ago, Sarge said:

Shop is looking great - leds will save your eyes over time , you'll appreciate that on long days in the shed, trust me on that.

I'm dying to see that 1277 get restored - it really looks like a great candidate. Can't wait to tear into mine, money input is going to hurt but the old war horse sure deserves it...

Sarge

Thanks...that 1277 was my first one, and still one of my favorites. It may be a candidate for a restore sometime in the future, right now my goal for it is to have another engine on it before mowing season kicks off

Over here at the shop doing some more insulating, it's slowly coming along

IMG_20180119_164735.jpg

IMG_20180119_182606.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:             Like Josh said, do it now or it will take a lot more work later.

• Like 3

JPWH
28 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:             Like Josh said, do it now or it will take a lot more work later.

I agree with that. I'll be adding a 12 x 14 room on the back of my shop this spring and insulating my shop before next winter.  I dread moving everything to gain access to the walls.

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack
2 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

Over here at the shop doing some more insulating, it's slowly coming along

IMG_20180119_164735.jpg

IMG_20180119_182606.jpg

This looks great professor!  You can only imagine how slow it would be coming if you had built in shelving already in place and miscellaneous parts/tools everywhere...that’s what mine was like. I spent more time moving stuff around then I did actually installing insulation.  I can’t wait to see some pics posted with the outside air temp and the working shop temp.  If you don’t already have one, you need to put a basic thermometer in the shop.  Looking good all around and I too can’t wait to see that 1277 restored when the time comes...for the time being, it is a totally sweet shop “decoration”!

• Like 2

cleat

The first winter I heated my shop only the ceiling was insulated.

Actually heated pretty easily. I guess most heat goes up.

Yours is looking great.

Cleat

• Like 2

Sarge

1277 was my first WH as well - turned out to be one of the best models made in the long frame tractors due to it's simplicity and elegant looks. Mine is far worse looking than that one and still sports it's running 12hp Kohler - that is amazingly worn out but refuses to die. Mine will need a whole new rear frame plate made as it's shattered right now - this thing has done so much heavy work, far above what it was ever designed for it deserves a complete restoration. I suspect yours is the same, maybe with a fewer number of hours but it's always hard to tell with those mid-60s models.

That shop is going to be nice and I'm sure you'll get a lot more use out of it than just storage - great investment. Do you plan to cover the interior walls once the insulation is done ?

Sarge

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
12 hours ago, Sarge said:

That shop is going to be nice and I'm sure you'll get a lot more use out of it than just storage - great investment. Do you plan to cover the interior walls once the insulation is done ?

Sarge

Yes the shop will eventually be completely finished with drywall when it is all said and done. May try to insulate the ceiling in another week or so...have to see how much extra money I have left out of my next paycheck. Just doing what I have done so far has already seemed to make a difference. Haven't had any super cold days since I started (and I hope those are over with for a while) but the last couple nights it's been cool enough outside that a guy wants a light jacket, but been working in the shop with my little propane heater on low in a t-shirt. Pretty much got all the insulation in the walls, only thing left is all the little small pieces in the corners and around the doors and window...should finish that up tomorrow, had intentions of finishing it all this afternoon after work, but my company pickup had other ideas when it decided to lose the idler and shred the serpentine belt, leaving me on the side of the road for 2.5 hrs:ranting: But plan on having that done tomorrow, and will have some more pictures for you guys, and maybe even another video tour 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

the last couple nights it's been cool enough outside that a guy wants a light jacket,

sooo... what... like ...  15 degrees Above zero?   :P

Shed/shop looks great sir!

• Haha 3

Sarge

Just a thought...

Hunt around on the farm sale sites, FB sale posts and stuff like that for some metal siding, sometimes you can get it free or close to free. Drywall loves to collect moisture in an outside building like that and will eventually rot out and fall apart. It all depends on how well you do the vapor barrier as with any interior side of an outside wall. Metal siding has one big benefit - it won't burn and if you ever plan to use a grinder or welder in there - something to think about. I've seen too many people lose a garage or shed from sparks getting caught in the paper surface of drywall, smolder unseen for hours and then burn the thing to the ground later after they leave. My rule when doing any hot work is a 30 minute period before leaving - and a close inspection for anything smoldering before I turn out the lights. Twice I've caught stuff very faintly smoldering from grinder or welder sparks in places you'd never think of - it's scary to think what would have happened if I hadn't stuck around for awhile. All the safety requirements I have to deal with at work are a pain in the butt, but they make sense more than you'd think - especially at home. First thing I'd install once the inside walls are done is a good fire extinguisher mounted just inside the door - it's not good to have to use one or the expense, but if you don't have the result is far worse.

Just something to think about - most people don't think much about this type of thing but after a hard lesson or two - it stays in mind a lot better, lol.

Sarge

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Thanks for the idea @Sarge, I hadn't though of doing it that way, but it is a good idea. And I know all too well about having a fire extinguisher handy, I was sure glad a couple months back when the old F250 backfired through the carb and caught fire that I keep one in every vehicle, only thing that was damaged was the throttle cable, cheap easy fix that would have been much worse had I not had an extinguisher close by. 

And @ebinmaine more like 45-50 around here lol, at 15 above I'm in my insulated bibs with my heavy coat over them directly in front of the heater cussing the cold :ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

formariz
On 1/21/2018 at 11:55 AM, Sarge said:

Just a thought...

Hunt around on the farm sale sites, FB sale posts and stuff like that for some metal siding, sometimes you can get it free or close to free. Drywall loves to collect moisture in an outside building like that and will eventually rot out and fall apart. It all depends on how well you do the vapor barrier as with any interior side of an outside wall. Metal siding has one big benefit - it won't burn and if you ever plan to use a grinder or welder in there - something to think about. I've seen too many people lose a garage or shed from sparks getting caught in the paper surface of drywall, smolder unseen for hours and then burn the thing to the ground later after they leave. My rule when doing any hot work is a 30 minute period before leaving - and a close inspection for anything smoldering before I turn out the lights. Twice I've caught stuff very faintly smoldering from grinder or welder sparks in places you'd never think of - it's scary to think what would have happened if I hadn't stuck around for awhile. All the safety requirements I have to deal with at work are a pain in the butt, but they make sense more than you'd think - especially at home. First thing I'd install once the inside walls are done is a good fire extinguisher mounted just inside the door - it's not good to have to use one or the expense, but if you don't have the result is far worse.

Just something to think about - most people don't think much about this type of thing but after a hard lesson or two - it stays in mind a lot better, lol.

Sarge

Great sensible advice. Too many accidents and outright disasters happen because of people's neglect ,carelessness or the lack of life experience. Specially within my profession I am always instructing and advising people on how to do things but mostly what not to do. I also tell them that I am not lecturing them because I am smarter or better than they are, but merely because I already made those same mistakes.

• Like 1

Sarge

Very well put - I never want to come off as lecturing anyone, I've made the mistakes before personally and it's just life experience, learned the hard way over time. Many of my advice lines come from years of safety training at work, we are required to have a lot of hours every year of refreshers and are expected to keep up with changes in the industry. We even have to carry a fully certified Red Cross First AId & CPR card or we can't even get on the work list - our Hall requires it due to folks either getting hurt or flat out dying in our industry - that refresher class was last week. Plants can have some insane classes required to even walk in the door - the Nuclear industry is one of the top ones, as well as any Pipeline work. I carry so many certifications in my wallet it's an extra 3/4" thick from all of them - they must be on your person to go to work in many places I'm sent out to - just part of the job. The only one I've dropped/lost was my full blown HAZMAT card - that class used to be 80hrs, now I see they've lowered it to 40hrs total with a yearly refresher. Our training system and network of instructors is staggering - most people would never believe how much money we sink into this stuff for what we actually make out on the jobs - but not being educated can get you dead in our industry, so it's just a part of it. It does get practiced at home, I take on a lot of dangerous work here so it all applies - you have to pay attention to the little things or you'll regret it eventually. Been to the ER more times than I'd like to admit - I prefer to avoid that if possible, lol...

Sarge

• Like 2

Pat_In_Denver

Good safety tips and suggestions on wall finishes.  When I insulated mine I put Hard Board on the bottom 4 ft and peg board to the ceiling.  Not fire proof, but saved on my back as it's lighter to manage than drywall, and gave me lots of places to hang tools and other stuff.

Now if I could just get around to cleaning it up every once and a while......

IMG_5796.JPG

• Like 4

ClassicTractorProfessor

Going to start covering the walls tomorrow...had planned on starting today...but within 10 minutes of getting to the shop a friend of mine showed up in desperate need of a new front wheel bearing on his F150...nowhere near enough to finish but gotta do a little at a time as the budget allows

IMG_20181020_182557.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mows4three

Great thread.  Inspirational to all of us that desire more space.  Thumbs up on the LED lights and insulation.  

Cheers!

Dave

• Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Got one sheet up and then the dumb battery in my drill died...still on the fence about whether to go with OSB all the way to the ceiling on this back wall or pegboard from that point up over the top of the workbench

IMG_20181021_150610.jpg

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

pegboard

My vote ^^^^^

• Like 1

Mows4three

I'm in agreement with Eric for the space over the bench.  White painted pegboard.  Paint both sides.  It will take on moisture and swell in an environment where it isn't constantly heated in the cold months.   Found that out at our cabin in the utility room.  Painting the backside prevents it from swelling.  

Cheers!

Dave

Edited by Mows4three
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Got three of the five sheets I bought up today....forgot one small detail at the lumber yard yesterday...SCREWS :lol:...so guess I'm at a standstill until probably next weekend. I am leaning more towards the pegboard, though some shelves above the bench would be handy as well. I'll let y'all know when I decide

IMG_20181021_164249.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

more towards the pegboard, though some shelves above the bench would be handy

I have two 4-foot by 8-foot pieces of pegboard in my cellar workshop and I have shelves in my outdoor Workshop. Handy for different reasons. Perhaps you could do both?

• Like 1

Pullstart

I vote some pegboard too.  Maybe some 1/4” furring strips behind, or a 2x4 on bottom to trim it out.  We bought from my in-laws and they aren’t totally out yet, but if he takes the pegboard, I’ll probably duplicate the idea.  “A place for everything and everything in it’s place” will most likely play out easier if it’s visual that something’s missing.

35590504-E359-425A-AB66-687BEA4BD455.jpeg

• Like 1

rjg854

I'd still put the OSB behind the pegboard for strength and to protect the insulation 

• Like 1

Howie

:text-yeahthat:  That's what I did in my building. ripped some 3/4 by 3/4 pieces and mounted the pegboard to that.

• Like 1