ClassicTractorProfessor

New Shop

Sarge

I'd just wander around all that space for the first day - nice to keep things out of the weather and sure helps when you need to work on something . Any plans for a very sturdy work bench mounted on the wall yet ?

Sarge

JPWH

Looking good. If you know where your work bench is going to be a couple of quad outlets would be a nice convience.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
On 11/23/2017 at 5:50 PM, Professor1990 said:

I've looked at several of these buildings before purchasing this one, and every one of them had the double studs at the joints not sure what their reasoning behind it is

My bet is it is made in a factory. They make up a ton of 4' x 8' panels, and slap together however many are needed to make a shed, garage, etc. It seems to me it would be easier to put them together with the second top plate, but that would add a few bucks cost. :)

I noticed the trusses too. I suppose they would be strong enoug, but it is a strange way to do it, just to gain a little head room

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I love the fact that you put up the sign before most other work. Priorities !!!!

Yes...a man has to have his priorities straight...That was the first thing I did yesterday before anything else

6 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

You can never have enough outlets ^^^^

Very wise decision to install plenty of them .

When I was helping my dad build his 24 X 24 garage as a teenager , I wondered why he had +/- 25 outlets installed .

I soon found out ......

I don't see one high enough to plug a :wh: clock into though ????

Yes a man can never have too many outlets...that's a good idea...Just came back from the lumber yard with another box and outlet specifically for that purpose.

I will try to make a short video later today to give everyone a better idea of what my plans are...And good ideas/suggestions are always welcome

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

My bet is it is made in a factory. They make up a ton of 4' x 8' panels, and slap together however many are needed to make a shed, garage, etc

I'll "second" that idea... makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

I will try to make a short video later today to give everyone a better idea of what my plans are

:popcorn:Neeet ! I like movie time...

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Sorry the video is tall and skinny...I keep forgetting to turn my phone around...still learning these new phones lol

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Got all my wire ran but one short piece...had exactly enough to finish until I added the final outlet closer to the ceiling...came up just a bit short...oh well gonna have to buy another roll when I decide what to do with my lights so no big deal

IMG_20171125_131425.jpg

IMG_20171125_131450.jpg

IMG_20171125_131500.jpg

IMG_20171125_131443.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine

LEDs man... gotta go with LEDs !!

No ballast to go bad. No bulbs to replace. Very minimal energy usage. 

Industry claims longer life but I guess we'll see about that as we go into the future.

Here's one I would order for my own workshop:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/200844/LITH-0308.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAxuTQBRBmEiwAAkFF1shpOoOOQG0lj542idFOGENdPrscmOUqlp9_mLyfIWPqa3tveHxjsBoCWmIQAvD_BwE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

I thought about LED lighting...until I looked art the price...while it may save money in the long run...the initial cost is just not something I can budget for right now ($50 per light vs. $23 per light)  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

($50 per light vs. $23 per light)  

The lights in the link I found are $17 a piece...  NNOO idea if there any kind of quality or not but I might order them and see.

hondagod64

Led lights for sure , I bought 4 at lowes when they were selling them at 34.00 each.The lights are so much brighter and mentioned with no ballast and bulbs to worry about.I had them up for over a year ,

• Like 1

Sarge

We're slowly changing a friends big shop over to all led's - he's replaced so many existing florescent fixtures it's crazy and their light output is amazing in comparison . I have one narrow light I got from the home store in my shop - it's so bright I have to either wear the back drape on my welding hood or shut it off to weld at the table - can't see through the lens from light entering the back that brightly . One thing - due to their nature it requires less fixtures to light a space . Put too many up - you'll need cutting goggles to go in there at night . Also , keep a close eye on the color temperature rating of the leds - it's the Kelvin rating for light color range . Keep them down around 3-4k at most , anything higher starts to add too much blue and is very hard on your eyes . At 6k - it can give you a headache quickly if you have any eye sensitivity . You should be able to light that whole shop with no shadows for around $300 and never look back - decent quality fixtures are coming down in price fast and I doubt you'd ever have to replace one unless the driver board burn out . The savings in electricity will pay for them in just a few years as well .

I swear as the quality/price of the leds comes down , the quality of the florescent fixtures is going down fast - they do not last very long at all , even higher grade T8 fixtures have a high failure rate these days . Incandescent and florescent fixtures are going away soon - it's not a bad thing either .

Sarge

• Like 1

EricF
On 11/23/2017 at 3:49 PM, Professor1990 said:

A better picture of how they are fastened...I thought it was weird too...but have never saw a building like this that was built with a double top plate...a friend of mine who built houses for over 50 years looked it over and he thought it was weird but didn't see any problems with the way it was built

IMG_20171123_144451.jpg

I'm building a 10x20 shed that uses a similar roof truss setup. It's a pre-cut lumber kit; there are some differences though. The top plate is doubled, and every truss connects with a hurricane tie that connects to both sides of the rafter, not just one. The side of the hurricane tie that nails to the top plate is nailed to both the top and bottom members of the doubled top plate. In all, each rafter is attached with seven purpose-specific hanger nails -- four into the rafter (two each side) and three into the top plate. Its a similar approach, but more robust -- they definitely aren't going anywhere. Driving the nails in with a hammer is doable, but a bit of a pain -- it's a lot easier to use an air-powered palm nailer, which is what I did. Strap-style hangers like those in the picture are easier to get at with a conventional nail gun -- probably more popular for prefab, assembly-line construction. I'd rather see straps on every rafter, not the screws on the odd ones. You could add a 2x4 block in each stud bay, which would give enough purchase to add a strap to the screwed-in rafters. Either way, once the OSB decking is on, the whole roof behaves more or less as a very stiff unit. The straps are remarkably good at handling wind loads. Snow loading is another matter, although OSB itself plays a big part in the roof strength. It's surprisingly strong and rigid compared to traditional plywood, which has allowed for more deviations from old standby construction methods.

• Like 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, Sarge said:

Incandescent and florescent fixtures are going away soon - it's not a bad thing either

The lighting in the Sanctuary of my church was always a dreaded task, had to move out half of the pews and spend a couple of days with scaffolding replacing light bulbs at least once a year. Five years ago we replaced them all with LEDs and haven't had to go through that torture since.

• Like 2

stevebo

Looking great so far. IMO add another window as it will be very dark in there with just the one and little venting with door closed. I would keep it away from over the bench as you will want that wall space for shelving and hanging tools etc. Also I agree, go with the led lights and if budget does not allow for all you want, add more later. Keep it going. looks great. 

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

Looks great! And I little familiar, I bought a 12x24 this spring in about the same color. I went with double doors on the side and two windows. Real happy with it so far. 

KIMG0360.JPG

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Professor ( Bryce) , you sure are thinking it through, good job. Take your time, setting it up real nice and cozy. Planing your moves before you do them. I give it a thumbs up. The wheel horse tag on the wall set it off nicely. I am enjoying watching it come along and thanks for the video to. Cant wait to see the red iron in there when done.

Glenn          :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WNYPCRepair
On 11/25/2017 at 6:02 PM, Professor1990 said:

I thought about LED lighting...until I looked art the price...while it may save money in the long run...the initial cost is just not something I can budget for right now ($50 per light vs. $23 per light)  

I think they will pay for themselves quickly. 

I had a power outage in my neighborhood. I could hear a generator down the street running. Either it was only a brownout, or that generator was bvackfeeding, as I could get a single incandescent bulb to glow weakly. But off that same amount of voltage, wherever it was coming from, I could light 4 LED floodlights in recessed fixtures, a 4 LED bulb ceiling fan, and 4 single LED bulbs in other fixtures, all on voltage that would simply make a weak glow in an incandescent bulb

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

WHX??

I would like to do LED's in my shop but they make my shop radio go haywire like some cordless tool battery chargers do. Tried a 4 footer like EB showed but no dice. Gave it to a buddy and did the same thing. He quickly gave it back mumbling something about gotta have shop tunes. :lol:

• Haha 2

ClassicTractorProfessor
32 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

I would like to do LED's in my shop but they make my shop radio go haywire like some cordless tool battery chargers do. Tried a 4 footer like EB showed but no dice. Gave it to a buddy and did the same thing. He quickly gave it back mumbling something about gotta have shop tunes. :lol:

Can't have anything that will interfere with my shop tunes :ROTF:that's the most important thing lol

Sarge

If you ever encounter someone running a generator and pushing power to your place - go tell them immediately as they could kill a lineman repairing the lines , even from far away . If they push power back through the street transformer into the grid it's ramped up and can seriously hurt someone , plus it is illegal . That is the reason for using transfer switches - it's to isolate the generator away from the grid system and potential harm it can cause .

Some of the cheaper led lights use components that can radiate frequency interference with radios - works the same as with battery chargers putting noise back into the power line .

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WNYPCRepair
16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If you ever encounter someone running a generator and pushing power to your place - go tell them immediately as they could kill a lineman repairing the lines , even from far away . If they push power back through the street transformer into the grid it's ramped up and can seriously hurt someone , plus it is illegal . That is the reason for using transfer switches - it's to isolate the generator away from the grid system and potential harm it can cause .

Some of the cheaper led lights use components that can radiate frequency interference with radios - works the same as with battery chargers putting noise back into the power line .

Sarge

I actually started to get dressed to go search and see what was up, and the power came back on within 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Everything Sarge said is very true but I doubt that was causing your bulbs to light up. If someone had a generator backfeeding into the grid it would have been very interesting when the power came back on. :scared-shocked:A partial power outage (maybe losing one leg) can cause strange things to happen. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977
On 12/5/2017 at 1:05 PM, Racinbob said:

Everything Sarge said is very true but I doubt that was causing your bulbs to light up. If someone had a generator backfeeding into the grid it would have been very interesting when the power came back on. :scared-shocked:A partial power outage (maybe losing one leg) can cause strange things to happen. :)

I saw an old electric range with two screw in fuses. One had blown and it was causing the ceiling kitchen light to turn on, with the light switch off.

ericj

watch putting things along both sides of the walls on a 12 ft wide shed, you'll run out of floor space real quick to pull a vehicle in the middle, ask me how I know :hide:

eric j 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1