Denis L Goulet

help,stuck in reverse

hi I am a newbie to wheelhorse tractor,i bought a 1994,520,20 hp,wheelhorse tractor with mower and snowblower,a few days ago I back in garage to put cab,blower and tires and chains on it to prepare for winter.started it up on first turn, considering it was sitting at sellers house about 6 months, everything was fine , backed it up in garage ,worked on it a few days. When came time to leave the garage, started it up it would go only backwards,  it would not go in neutral or forward. I put it back up on the jack, wheels turn free opposite sides front or back when stopped. Shifter stuck in reverse when stopped as well, how do I free it up and where is the shifter assembly located, please help thanks.

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Folks with 520 expertise will be along shortly - I have no doubt!

You are on the right forum!!!

Welcome to Redsqure. 

I'm not a expert on 520h but i did own one. but sounds like linkage is binding or loose.  

Check the bolts that hold the frame to axle.

4 bolts under tractor are known to come out letting axle to bind . Other then that other experts will help you here soon.

• Like 3

You should be able to see where the linkage attaches to the trans by lifting the seat up. Check to see if things may be bound up under there.

• Like 1

:WRS:              Did it shift all right before the cab was installed? Can't think of any interference a cab would create, but wondered.

Sorry I have never worked on a 520.         :WRS:

Simple check, but you can't move the linkage with the brake on.  A few months ago a member had a 5xi that had trouble moving the linkage, It had been sitting outside and mice had made a home under the fender. You may have a similar situation. Unfortunately the cab will need to be removed to get the fender off.

I would start by checking the linkage at the dash. Take the panels off to observe. it has the notch that must be overcome to move from reverse to forward. Make sure that is not binding and work your way to the rear. If all of that is working properly, unbolt the fender to check under there.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 4

The '88 and '89 520s had the motion control on the console where it always worked very well.  Beginning in '90, they moved it to the steering column where, in my experience, it was not as smooth and was  more difficult to use.   The lever has to be lifted before it can be moved forward  and I found  the shaft would bind preventing the up/down movement of the lever.    I only keep the hydros with the console mounted levers.  Also makes it easy to install my red neck foot control system.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:              Did it shift all right before the cab was installed? Can't think of any interference a cab would create, but wondered.

yes it was, but now I realize that I lifted up the tractor by the hitch on back to put the stands under axle, maybe something happened then I don't know.

23 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Folks with 520 expertise will be along shortly - I have no doubt!

You are on the right forum!!!

thanks I hope.

22 hours ago, Achto said:

You should be able to see where the linkage attaches to the trans by lifting the seat up. Check to see if things may be bound up under there.

thanks very helpful, I checked it out today and it seems fine, I will continue up towards steering column. I just had a idea if I was to remove that link could I test the transmission manually by moving the gear with pliers to see in tranny works like it should.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

@denis goulet :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

thanks.....

10 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Simple check, but you can't move the linkage with the brake on.  A few months ago a member had a 5xi that had trouble moving the linkage, It had been sitting outside and mice had made a home under the fender. You may have a similar situation. Unfortunately the cab will need to be removed to get the fender off.

I would start by checking the linkage at the dash. Take the panels off to observe. it has the notch that must be overcome to move from reverse to forward. Make sure that is not binding and work your way to the rear. If all of that is working properly, unbolt the fender to check under there.

thanks, I will check this out for sure

11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

sir, I have the most respect for veterans and I thank you for serving if you did, my grand father was killed in Antwerp Belgium 16th of December 1944 when Germans launched a v2 rocket on the city, he was 3 months away from coming back home to Canada and reuniting with is family. I salute you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1