Jump to content
Denis L Goulet

help,stuck in reverse

Recommended Posts

hi I am a newbie to wheelhorse tractor,i bought a 1994,520,20 hp,wheelhorse tractor with mower and snowblower,a few days ago I back in garage to put cab,blower and tires and chains on it to prepare for winter.started it up on first turn, considering it was sitting at sellers house about 6 months, everything was fine , backed it up in garage ,worked on it a few days. When came time to leave the garage, started it up it would go only backwards,  it would not go in neutral or forward. I put it back up on the jack, wheels turn free opposite sides front or back when stopped. Shifter stuck in reverse when stopped as well, how do I free it up and where is the shifter assembly located, please help thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:text-welcomeconfetti:

 

Folks with 520 expertise will be along shortly - I have no doubt!

 

You are on the right forum!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Redsqure. 

I'm not a expert on 520h but i did own one. but sounds like linkage is binding or loose.  

Check the bolts that hold the frame to axle.

4 bolts under tractor are known to come out letting axle to bind . Other then that other experts will help you here soon.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to see where the linkage attaches to the trans by lifting the seat up. Check to see if things may be bound up under there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:WRS:              Did it shift all right before the cab was installed? Can't think of any interference a cab would create, but wondered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I have never worked on a 520.         :WRS:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple check, but you can't move the linkage with the brake on.  A few months ago a member had a 5xi that had trouble moving the linkage, It had been sitting outside and mice had made a home under the fender. You may have a similar situation. Unfortunately the cab will need to be removed to get the fender off.

 

I would start by checking the linkage at the dash. Take the panels off to observe. it has the notch that must be overcome to move from reverse to forward. Make sure that is not binding and work your way to the rear. If all of that is working properly, unbolt the fender to check under there.

 

 

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The '88 and '89 520s had the motion control on the console where it always worked very well.  Beginning in '90, they moved it to the steering column where, in my experience, it was not as smooth and was  more difficult to use.   The lever has to be lifted before it can be moved forward  and I found  the shaft would bind preventing the up/down movement of the lever.    I only keep the hydros with the console mounted levers.  Also makes it easy to install my red neck foot control system.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:              Did it shift all right before the cab was installed? Can't think of any interference a cab would create, but wondered.

yes it was, but now I realize that I lifted up the tractor by the hitch on back to put the stands under axle, maybe something happened then I don't know.

23 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

 

Folks with 520 expertise will be along shortly - I have no doubt!

 

You are on the right forum!!!

thanks I hope.

22 hours ago, Achto said:

You should be able to see where the linkage attaches to the trans by lifting the seat up. Check to see if things may be bound up under there.

thanks very helpful, I checked it out today and it seems fine, I will continue up towards steering column. I just had a idea if I was to remove that link could I test the transmission manually by moving the gear with pliers to see in tranny works like it should.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

@denis goulet :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

thanks.....

10 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Simple check, but you can't move the linkage with the brake on.  A few months ago a member had a 5xi that had trouble moving the linkage, It had been sitting outside and mice had made a home under the fender. You may have a similar situation. Unfortunately the cab will need to be removed to get the fender off.

 

I would start by checking the linkage at the dash. Take the panels off to observe. it has the notch that must be overcome to move from reverse to forward. Make sure that is not binding and work your way to the rear. If all of that is working properly, unbolt the fender to check under there.

 

 

thanks, I will check this out for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:              Did it shift all right before the cab was installed? Can't think of any interference a cab would create, but wondered.

sir, I have the most respect for veterans and I thank you for serving if you did, my grand father was killed in Antwerp Belgium 16th of December 1944 when Germans launched a v2 rocket on the city, he was 3 months away from coming back home to Canada and reuniting with is family. I salute you.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, Denis L Goulet said:

hi I am a newbie to wheelhorse tractor,i bought a 1994,520,20 hp,wheelhorse tractor with mower and snowblower,a few days ago I back in garage to put cab,blower and tires and chains on it to prepare for winter.started it up on first turn, considering it was sitting at sellers house about 6 months, everything was fine , backed it up in garage ,worked on it a few days. When came time to leave the garage, started it up it would go only backwards,  it would not go in neutral or forward. I put it back up on the jack, wheels turn free opposite sides front or back when stopped. Shifter stuck in reverse when stopped as well, how do I free it up and where is the shifter assembly located, please help thanks.

hi, it took a long time to reply, I have found the problem, I feel stupid, but this is what happened, I dropped a screw driver under the seat and it logged in transmission linkage blocking linkage, I removed it now every thing is fine. Thank you.

  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey - Good news!

 

If you are going to have a transmission "problem" that is the kind to have!!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Denis L Goulet said:

I feel stupid, but this is what happened, I dropped a screw driver under the seat and it logged in transmission linkage blocking linkage,

Takes a big man to pass this tip on to us.   :party:   Glad that's all it was.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, SylvanLakeWH said:

Hey - Good news!

 

If you are going to have a transmission "problem" that is the kind to have!!!

I agree....thanks for the interest.

I agree......thanks for the interest.

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, 953 nut said:

Takes a big man to pass this tip on to us.   :party:   Glad that's all it was.

thanks.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, BOB ELLISON said:

Welcome to Redsqure. 

I'm not a expert on 520h but i did own one. but sounds like linkage is binding or loose.  

Check the bolts that hold the frame to axle.

4 bolts under tractor are known to come out letting axle to bind . Other then that other experts will help you here soon.

linkage was blocked by a dropped screw driver under the seat ooooops.

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By JNMULL
      Good morning, I have been a long time reader, but a first time poster. 
       
      I have a 1988 Wheel Horse 520HC Tractor.  Does not charge, and I have to assume that it is due to the fuse at the front of the engine being blown.  However if I replace the fuse that is located at the front of the engine, the wire at the voltage regulator will get hot, start to smoke as it melts the wires insulation.
       
      I have not started testing anything yet, as I just have stumbled upon this issue and was wondering if anyone else has had the same style of problem and what kind of repair did you have to perform.
       
      Thanks.
    • By Frank The Tank
      I just found out, after destroying a new belt that I need a special mule drive for my 60 inch deck. 
              I bought a 520H with a 60 in deck this year. I just taught myself how to weld and fixed the height selector. At least I have that going for me. 
          After a little research I found that I need the special mule drive.... 
        Does anyone have one?
          
    • By chucksterock
      I am looking for the gear reduction steering assembly from a 520.  Need at least the upper and lower shafts, mounting pedestal and fasteners and front bearing.  Willing to consider package deals to include front swept axle and big spindles and tie rods too.
       
      Located in north eastern Ohio.
       
      Thanks!
    • By jmdavidh09
      I am in search of a decent 60" deck.
      I would prefer a newer style classic deck with mule or an XI deck.
      If a C-195 Deck will work on a classic, I can do that too!
       
      Tractor optional...i have classic and xi options available for mounting.
       
      I prefer pickup within 500miles of Syracuse but will go farther if I must.
       
      Cash in hand.
       
    • By r1jakecfd
      Hi Guys,
      I know my voltage regulator is bad on my Onan P220 and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on a replacement, OEM or aftermarket? 
      Also, I checked my stator leads for AC Voltage and got about 25 volts at 3600 rpm on each. Is this OK? I know it says in the 40’s.
      Thanks guys
×