Seacrestbf

D 200 Engine

Hello

I have a D 200 and my sons have been cutting the lawn this summer and nerver check th oil and the seized the motor. I freed the motor up and it runs fine until there is a load. I checked the Compression  and I have one dead hole. ;-(   it broke my heart. I have a Mower, tiller, and snow thrower.

Any Advise? Should I buy a motor? Or rebuild or scrap?? I liked the machine. But I dont want to dump a ton of money into it if it is questionable. I am not sure if it is a Kohler or Onan??  Any thoughts

Thank you 

Brian Foley

• Sad 1

Brian, not much advise but if the engine is original it would be a Kohler 20 HP.  That is a lot of tractor and accessories to let sit if the hydro was strong, it may be worth rebuilding the engine.

The site achto shows is a good source as is ebay.

A word of caution here, parts for these big twins - like your K532 - are getting scarce ---- especially CONNECTING RODS!  Its very possible you will need machine shop work what with the engine running low on oil, bore job to clean up the cylinders and regrind the crankshaft, etc. Before you start buying parts determine what work will need to be done . IE: if your crank needs turned then you will need rods and they just may not be available!!

In the last couple yrs I have needed a rod for each of my 18 and 20hp twins, I ended up faithfully prowling ebay and after a few weeks was lucky enough to find them used -- and these were in standard size! You may well need undersized..

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

If it needs rods, I saw a site that makes rods out of aluminum billet stock  I would nose around a bit before making a hasty decision. While the "D"'s are not my favorite's they can do a lot of work for a long time yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

If it needs rods, I saw a site that makes rods out of aluminum billet stock  I would nose around a bit before making a hasty decision. While the "D"'s are not my favorite's they can do a lot of work for a long time yet.

Do you have info on that site?

Looks like "Free" lawn mowing help wasn't very free.:(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You tube : Kohler K series connecting rods 2015/2016 design improvements explained - clearancing 1 cylinder engine for billet rod, Midwest Super Club.

As far as a direct link to the video, I did/could not persue it too far yet, ite a long time to find it the second time, and have nbot made it back yet to look any more.

• Like 1

That's fine. Thanks. Know where to look now ;-)

Would you consider Replacing the motor with something else ?? 

Send the Motor to a rebuilder?? Brian Miller??

If you are not into keeping it stock consider the Preditor 22hp V twin as a replacement, I have used many of the HF engines

and have had very good luck with them. Their is many parts sources for them now and seem to be very reliable. In our pulling club several

guys have been running them for the last couple of years, and to be honest with you they are kicking our butts at about 1/3 the

price of a rebuilt/built Kohler.  I think if you go to Brian Millers site the price of a rebuilt opposed twin is going to be in the $14-1500 range.

• Like 1

Harbour Freight and a little fab work . not to complicated, put one of their 13 hp motors on my GT 2500

and a couple of holes drilled in the base is all I had to do. Plan on replacing it with a 12hp Kohler when 

time permits.

I feel for you. In 1993 western PA had a monster snow (22" in 24 hrs). My dad had a D200 (which I now own). He called my brother in law who lives on the same lane and suggested he fire up the Horse and use it to clear the lane. Jeff took him up on it. Unfortunately my dad forgot to tell him about the engine oil leak. After about three hours of running, clearing a 1/4 mile lane, the engine seized up. Dad had to get a new short block from Kohler and have it installed, not a cheap fix. But I am still using that tractor today. 

If you can find the parts it is very well worth the time to repair this tractor. Do some research, those K532 engines are still out there. Maybe find a tractor bone yard for parts, or the whole engine. 

Might also try this place:   www.isavetractors.com   207-298-9701. They advertise in LAWN & GARDEN TRACTOR magazine and claim to have "everything you need to bring your old engine back to life". They specialize in Kohler K series engine rebuild kits. 

Good luck.

Edited by slufoot733

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now