UncleJerm76

Dads 854

Sparky

Fantastic find!

I would think that Wheel horses are somewhat hard to find in your area (my uncle lives in Lakeland).

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:        Wheel Horses in Florida are scarcer than hen's teeth, nice find!    :woohoo:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

A-Z Tractor

Hello. I do wheel horse salvage and would have new throttle and choke cables, new ignition switch and new glass fuel bowl. Also I would have the belt guard for the starter belt on the engine used. If you are interested email me at aztractor255@gmail.com and I can get you prices.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Chris G

Nice find!

• Like 1

UncleJerm76

Ok experts we need your help. He took his drive belt cover off and the trans pulley seems very misaligned. To the point that it just couldn’t be right, but I went and looked at my 701 and it’s the exact same way. Surely this can’t be correct? Both our pulleys are as far inward as they can go. How do we get our pulleys in-line? You can see the damage it’s causing to the belt and I’m sure it isn’t helping the tensioner pulley bearings.

13E742B2-1599-4877-8EB9-13C772933072.jpeg

Sparky

Is the pulley on backwards? I tried to snap a pic of the one on my 854 but it's kinda dark. If you flip it it might sit closer to the the tranny and allign better.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

A great little tractor. Super find. Best of luck.

My 854 is in storage, I will look back at pictures, see what I can find. 

Do those pulleys spin free, or are they have froze up and jambed?

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 2

UncleJerm76
4 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Do those pulleys spin free, or are they have froze up and jambed?

Thanks Glenn, they spin perfectly free when not in gear on both our machines. Look forward to seeing how yours and other members drive pulley are aligned.

7 hours ago, Sparky said:

Is the pulley on backwards?

Thanks for taking the time snap a couple pics. Unfortunately our pulleys are not offset, if we flipped them it wouldn’t change their position. Is it possible for you To stand from the back of your machine and try and snap a pic of your drive belt alignment? ...similar to my pic above?

Edited by UncleJerm76

Retired Wrencher

UncleJerm76  Very nice find I hope you and your Dad enjoy it for many years to come.

• Like 2

Chris G

It looks like the pulley is on backwards. 

• Like 4

Racinbob

I agree, backwards. The input pulley should be hugging the transmission case. It looks like it's offset in the picture but you said it wasn't so if that's the case it's the wrong pulley. :)

• Like 4

UncleJerm76

OK, maybe our eyes are deceiving us, we will pull it off and see if its offset like its supposed to be - thanks everyone!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

If stubborn, use caution pulling that cast pulley off. 

Use NO three jaw pulllers here.   :angry-nono:

IMG_7925.JPG.1231dfa943fb18ba30229090639ff885.JPG 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

UncleJerm76
3 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

If stubborn, use caution pulling that cast pulley off. 

Use NO three jaw pulllers here.   :angry-nono:

Wow I really appreciate that advice! Any good tips on getting a stubborn pulley off if jaw pullers shouldn't be used?

AMC RULES

Recently had good results using a cheap kit like this one found on Ebay.

PM'd you the link.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

12PCS-Bearing-Splitter-Gear-Puller-Fly-Wheel-Separator-Set-Tool-Kit-w-Case-US

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hope this helps some.

Glenn

20140708_160005.jpg

20140708_155950.jpg

20140131_202811.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

UncleJerm76
2 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Hope this helps some.

Yes that helps tremendously thank you very much. His pulley does not look like that (at least not that side of it), hopefully it’s just on backwards. 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
8 minutes ago, UncleJerm76 said:

Yes that helps tremendously thank you very much. His pulley does not look like that (at least not that side of it), hopefully it’s just on backwards. 

Keep us posted, were here to help. Good luck.

Glenn

UncleJerm76
On 11/21/2017 at 9:23 PM, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Keep us posted

You guys were correct! It appeared to us to be a centered pulley, but there was so much grease and dirt on the inside that it was covering up the offset part. So we flipped it and its perfectly aligned once again.

Why in the world would the PO put it on backwards and then go to the trouble of modifying the belt guard to make it work without scrubbing the pulley? Is there ever a situation any of you can think of where you would need to reverse a offset drive pulley like that?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

People do strange things. I cant think of any reason why on that pulley. Just my 2 cents.

Glenn           :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

rjg854

Maybe the PO didn't realize that he put it on backwards?  And then just tried to make it work the way it was? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Just chiming in to say congrats on your nice score and to follow  Uncle. :handgestures-thumbupright: An 854 is on or should be on everyones bucket list here! Your parts required list is very doable but yes let us know if we can help. Iv'e got a few good links. Keep us in the loop when you get that girl  running. Sounds like your getting the usual excellent good RS advise already. 

• Thanks 1

UncleJerm76
On 11/20/2017 at 1:23 PM, A-Z Tractor said:

Hello. I do wheel horse salvage and would have new throttle and choke cables, new ignition switch and new glass fuel bowl. Also I would have the belt guard for the starter belt on the engine used. If you are interested email me at aztractor255@gmail.com and I can get you prices.

A-Z, did you ever receive my email? I sent one shortly after your post about a starter belt guard but I haven't heard back from ya yet. No rush - I just want to make sure you got the email.

UncleJerm76

Dad cleaned out the tank and also installed a few new parts: fuel line, filter, carburetor, spark plug, wire, condenser and points. ...Getting closer!

Hooked up a good battery and the starter generator doesnt seem to have much umph. Turns the motor VERY slow - much slower than my 701 in fact. It seems to stop after a rotation or so and then turn again before stopping again ,,, almost like the ACR is not working. Is that possible? Have you guys ever seen one of these K181's not release the compression?

Edited by UncleJerm76