a.dumont

PTO Safety Switch

a.dumont

Wiring was reworked before I got my 73' 18 Auto. All safety switches are missing. Does anyone have currently available replacement part numbers? Which switches should my model have? (Depending on the manual, I see that there should be a "clutch" and a "hydro". I'm assuming that clutch is interchangeable with PTO. I have a 7 year old son that I would like to keep safe, so if it's possible to add a seat switch, I'd like to do that too. As of right now, you can start it with the PTO engaged, while standing on the ground, with the hydro lever at full speed. (Scary)

Edited by a.dumont

gwest_ca

The 2 switches listed part number 101845 appear to be ball switches and still available from Toro but very expensive. They were used on many other models so good used should be available. You could add a push button switch to the seat to control the ignition if the seat flips forward on a pivot but an operator would need to be in the seat to have ignition at all times. The seat would need to land on a spring so the operator's weight would overcome the spring pressure and close the switch.

Item 11-12 

Pto must be OFF and transmission in neutral for the starter to work.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/1-0600-toro-18-hp-automatictractor-1973/electrical-system/

Some of the models that used the 101845 switch

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/101845/

Garry

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Thinking about this adding a seat switch to the tractor without doing something different to the pto switch circuit would be a poor solution.

Do you still have battery ignition?

There has to be a better way. I'm thinking a couple of relays but the brain cells are scarce this AM.

Garry

Jerry77
19 hours ago, a.dumont said:

As of right now, you can start it with the PTO engaged, while standing on the ground, with the hydro lever at full speed. (Scary)

Sounds like a tough one to do...for now, why not get into the habit of removing the key when you get off?  hang it up high until a better solution comes along..:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Sarge

You could use a master switch hidden somewhere , just cut off the ignition power . My grandsons at 4 have figured out how to fire up their dad's 1057 with a screwdriver - those boys are going to be a real problem...the school has already been warned (twins , go figure) .

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jerry77
56 minutes ago, Sarge said:

twins , go figure

LOL...I have identical twin boys - separate rooms in grade school - thought it was fun to switch around...teachers were not amused...:lol:

• Haha 3

Sarge

These two can be quite evil at times and they work as a team - amazing how fast they can get into trouble .

Sarge

• Like 1

a.dumont

I'm hanging the keys up for now, but need something long term. I will start with a PTO and clutch switch for now. I may add a seat switch later that kills the engine if the rider leave the seat with the PTO engaged. I will add a bypass so that I can run implements like a log splitter off the rear if desired.

gwest_ca

I think the simplest solution is to use what Wheel Horse used on the 1978-1984 model C-Series tractors.

Replace the original pto switch with 104680. Click on the picture.

For a seat switch use 106268 NO (Normally open) switch also illustrated in the first link. You have many options for this one so use one that works with the seat.

For a neutral switch use the original NO (Normally open) switch or 105877 switch. Click on the picture.

These wiring diagrams will apply.

Garry

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, a.dumont said:

I'm hanging the keys up for now, but need something long term. I will start with a PTO and clutch switch for now. I may add a seat switch later that kills the engine if the rider leave the seat with the PTO engaged. I will add a bypass so that I can run implements like a log splitter off the rear if desired.

Like @Sarge stated, a screwdriver  can start a lot of these so be mindful of that. If your little person is a bit adventurous, they'll figure that out quickly.

For the switches, give a call to A - Z Tractor. He may have a couple good used ones?

I've never been a fan of seat switches but I think you're headed the right direction with the PTO switch. 

I also agree that a separate kill/start switch is a good idea...

Keep us posted.