jsp_333

414-8 Won't turn off

jsp_333

As the title suggests my tractor will turn on at the key it just won't turn off.

So I have to pull the spark plug wire to shut it down.

Small engine shop told me I had a ground issue.

Followed the ground wire off the starter switch until it disappeared under the battery platform.

New starter switch is $62.00.  The defective one lasted about 8 months.

So I'm reluctant to keep buying these things.

And I can't put the snow cab on until I fix this.

Anyone else ever have this issue, or know the fix.

Don't really want to take a good bit of the tractor apart to follow this wire to wherever it terminates.

J

Jerry77
22 minutes ago, jsp_333 said:

ground wire off the starter switch

Could you just run an additional ground wire to a spot on the frame?

• Like 1

refracman

First over in the manual section is the wiring diagram for your tractor download it, it will make it easier to run your tests,

I am assuming yours is the 1988 with the Kohler Magnum engine and these tests will only check this engine

there are 2 wires that complete the circuit to shut down the engine.

on your ignition switch the post marked M will go to the motor and the post marked G is the your ground 

either wire can be causing the issue or the ignition switch

grab your multi meter and you will need to OHM check the wires

all tests are with the key on the OFF position 

to make testing of easier and prevent any short circuiting  I would remove the battery and then remove the ignition switch from the dash and leave it plugged in the wiring harness

clean all connections first and coat with dielectic grease 

to check the M wire you will need to remove the engine shroud to access the magneto grounding wire from the M postion on the igintion switch 

place one lead on the mag end and the other on M pole with the wire attached        should be 0 OHMs

to test the ground wire attach one to the negative lead to the battery and the other on the G pole       should read 0 OHMs 

if both test good, to test the switch place one lead on the magneto lead and the other to the negative battery lead    should be 0 OHMs

one these three tests will determine which one is your issue

good luck!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

Sooner or later you will need to fix it correctly, so if time allows you should do as suggested above. If yo need to do a quick fix you could run a wire to the Magneto wire at the engine and a second wire to ground. Connect them to a switch and when you close the switch it will kill the engine.

• Like 1

jsp_333

Couldn't agree more.  Will do the quick fix but start working on trouble shooting the entire situation as well.

Thanks all.

J

• Like 1

wallfish

Another quick fix to get on the road quickly is just use the choke to stop the engine.

Sure sounds like a ground to the switch. Jumping a wire from a good ground to the metal body of the switch while it's running with the key in the off position. It should shut down if it's just the ground to the switch.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oldredrider

Had the same problem on the same tractor a couple of weeks back. The ground post on the ignition switch had a bad connection. A dab of solder fixed it.

It's the single post on the switch, not one of the 5 posts in the connector.

• Like 2

hondagod64

I had the same problem on my 88 312-8 last summer and it was a ground issue from the switch, I was losing ground at the mounting panel where the switch mounted to the chassis...I cleaned all contact points and added die electric grease to all contact points ...i haven' t had a problem since

biged77

I had the same problem today on my 414-8 (engine would not shut off, plus would not start after I killed the engine using the choke). I added a jumper wire from the switch ground to chassis which fixed both problems.  I believe the switch is supposed to ground at the mounting panel like hondagod 64 said above.but a direct wire provides a more reliable ground.