JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Winter Battle, getting ready, advice / tires

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok, winters coming and we all know it. They say its going to be real bad with snow this year in new jersey. Just like they said last year and it wasnt LOL.

I will be putting my 416-8 with the single stage back into duty, also my sons C-175 with his plow. BOTH tractors have had slow leaks in the front tires. I have so much going on, I dont want to deal with it. So, new tires it will be. I was thinking of Deestones for both or would you guys say stick with the turf tires?  Keep it original.

Also, I need tires chains for my 416, if someone has a set, shout out. I must have give them away with one of the tractors I sold.  

I better start now, will be bringing the 416 home from storage in a week. Will be putting up pictures as she gets ready. We all like pictures. Snow will be here before we know it. Thanks for suggestions.

Glenn

mmmmmdonuts

I put the carsilse snow hogs on mine. I use them all year round and I love them. They are nice and aggressive and they are designed for snow...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0087P0MRG/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511034722&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=carsilse+snow+hog#

Of course load turfs, wheel weights and chains is what I use in the back.

• Like 1

Aldon

If your drive is paved, then it depends on inclines and handling. As bike chains seems to be everyone’s go to for turfs. But I tend to try and avoid unneeded damage to my blacktop.  So I go.Vredsteins for ribs...to assist with turning.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
3 minutes ago, Aldon said:

If your drive is paved, then it depends on inclines and handling. As bike chains seems to be everyone’s go to for turfs. But I tend to try and avoid unneeded damage to my blacktop.  So I go.Vredsteins for ribs...to assist with turning.

Hey Aldon, its been some time. Yes, drive is paved, small 3ft rise in 40ft travel end of drive. Arent the deestones a ribbed tire of sorts?

The pic seemed maybe to many small ribs, get packed with snow and then no good.  This long driveway used to be fun, now its turned into another job. I never wanted to do chains on the front, dig and gouge. Thanks man.

Glenn

JoeM

Last year set up a  plow machine, tender on battery, staged read to go! Never used it! LOL I am sure that was the extreme.

Going to get ready again, next week.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, mmmmmdonuts said:

I put the carsilse snow hogs on mine. I use them all year round and I love them. They are nice and aggressive and they are designed for snow...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0087P0MRG/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511034722&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=carsilse+snow+hog#

Of course load turfs, wheel weights and chains is what I use in the back.

I am not sure if they will fit, thanks for the suggestion. They sure look like a winter tire.

Glenn

mmmmmdonuts

4 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I am not sure if they will fit, thanks for the suggestion. They sure look like a winter tire.

Glenn

They have different sizes. I actually have the 4.8-8 because my Raider 12 originally had the 5.5-8 tires they no longer make. 

While I agree with Aldon on the Vredsteins they are extremely expensive (2-3x the cost) and that is the one of the reasons I settled on these. 

• Like 1

squonk
2 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Ok, winters coming and we all know it. They say its going to be real bad with snow this year in new jersey. Just like they said last year and it wasnt LOL.

I will be putting my 416-8 with the single stage back into duty, also my sons C-175 with his plow. BOTH tractors have had slow leaks in the front tires. I have so much going on, I dont want to deal with it. So, new tires it will be. I was thinking of Deestones for both or would you guys say stick with the turf tires?  Keep it original.

Also, I need tires chains for my 416, if someone has a set, shout out. I must have give them away with one of the tractors I sold.  

I better start now, will be bringing the 416 home from storage in a week. Will be putting up pictures as she gets ready. We all like pictures. Snow will be here before we know it. Thanks for suggestions.

Glenn

Glenn, If you want snow, put the mower decks on and leave off the chains! :)

• Like 5

Marv
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Glenn, If you want snow, put the mower decks on and leave off the chains! :)

That must be the way it works. I didn't set up the cyclone rake and I got leaves.

Marvin:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

Yeah I know last year I had 3 520H 2stage, tall single, and a plow and a 520xi with a tall single, used the plow 1 time, had a front plow set up for the Kioti in WV, dad never used it, now I'm in the middle of converting a super heavy duty fully hydraulic JD blade to the Kioti, maybe it will snow, anyway @JERSEYHAWG / Glenn, I run TRAC GARD 16x7.50-8 turfs on my 520s and 16x6.50-8 the Cubs, they seem to do way better than the original DICOs IMHO, never tried the tri-ribs or used roller chain, good luck ,Jeff. Maybe these Carlisle tires on Amazon...

Screenshot_20171118-185906.png

Screenshot_20171118-190205.png

• Like 2

Tankman
48 minutes ago, Marv said:

That must be the way it works. I didn't set up the cyclone rake and I got leaves.

Marvin:)

That's why we need a herd of Stallions.

One for each chore! Plow at the ready, leaves fear the Horse drawn vac. the naked Horse ready for cart or roller duty or parades.

One (or two, perhaps a few) in the detail shop where my Grandsons can wo.....wo......work.

The work force!

Charlie_Linus.jpg.d9972c2535f4da4927446157688fe795.jpg

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yeah I know last year I had 3 520H 2stage, tall single, and a plow and a 520xi with a tall single, used the plow 1 time, had a front plow set up for the Kioti in WV, dad never used it, now I'm in the middle of converting a super heavy duty fully hydraulic JD blade to the Kioti, maybe it will snow, anyway @JERSEYHAWG / Glenn, I run TRAC GARD 16x7.50-8 turfs on my 520s and 16x6.50-8 the Cubs, they seem to do way better than the original DICOs IMHO, never tried the tri-ribs or used roller chain, good luck ,Jeff. Maybe these Carlisle tires on Amazon...

Screenshot_20171118-190205.png

Glenn,

This is my bad. I actually use these Xtrac on my Raider. I really love them. The ATV tires are really great for gripping. The snowhogs are on my walk behind blower. Getting confused between the two...

Anyways here are pictures of the Xtrac mounted if you wanted to see it. They are 4.8-8. rps20161215_202646.jpg.5ceb56e921f59047f9e8fb3e66d613d7.jpg

rps20161215_202426.jpg.f64239dab1241e86c1344702c340e282.jpg

rps20161215_202530.jpg.086cb0633206de71a9ba8c2dd6bdd45d.jpg

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
26 minutes ago, mmmmmdonuts said:

Glenn,

This is my bad. I actually use these Xtrac on my Raider. I really love them. The ATV tires are really great for gripping. The snowhogs are on my walk behind blower. Getting confused between the two...

Anyways here are pictures of the Xtrac mounted if you wanted to see it. They are 4.8-8. rps20161215_202646.jpg.5ceb56e921f59047f9e8fb3e66d613d7.jpg

rps20161215_202426.jpg.f64239dab1241e86c1344702c340e282.jpg

rps20161215_202530.jpg.086cb0633206de71a9ba8c2dd6bdd45d.jpg

They look skinny, but grippy. Thanks for those pics. You run tubes in them to?  I can not see a steering problem with them.

Glenn

Sarge

I really like the BKT front v-treads I put on the big D , they grip like mad in all conditions and so far haven't even torn up the sod yet . Better priced than the Carlisle Tru Power , same or better grip level .

Sarge

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts
13 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

They look skinny, but grippy. Thanks for those pics. You run tubes in them to?  I can not see a steering problem with them.

Glenn

Yes. I run them loaded and with tubes. It adds about 20lbs a tire which helps a little bit in the winter to keep them on the ground but I notice it the most after the blower is off and I play in the mud early spring. 

• Like 1

varosd

I'm using the rubber tire chain on both the 520 thrower and the 416 blade rear tires.  running front wheel weights on the plow rig made all the difference!

• Like 1