chris sutton

Kohler K241 or K301

chris sutton

I found a Kohler engine on a friends property without the cowling and wondered what HP it was without pulling the head.

after looking at other engines i have the K241 has the plug nearer the centre of the head and the K301 has the plug near the headbolt and is stamped.

wonder why Kohler didn't stamp other engine's or do they ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Aldon

Head Bolt pattern should tell u...

• Confused 1

chris sutton

The headbolt pattern look the same both 9 bolt, just the spark plug in a different place ?

Aldon

Sorry for steering you down the wrong path.

You are correct.

Hopefully a engine expert will chime in...

3F426D6B-3499-42CC-9C9F-604838699C07.jpeg.11e6a6cc5bf177842e2cd8450ddc9ba9.jpeg

• Like 1

Shynon

There is no way to tell without measuring the bore if it is not cast into the block on the drive pulley side. And even then a k301 can be a 10hp. K241 thru k321 all have 9 head bolts.

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 3

rmaynard

Is this a Wheel Horse engine? If so, I don't think any Wheel Horse K241 had a long dip stick and tube, just a screw-in type. I don't know if you can see the counter-weights on the crankshaft by taking the camshaft cover off, but if so, the K301 has flat bottoms on the counter-weights and the K241 is round.

• Like 2

chris sutton
25 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Is this a Wheel Horse engine? If so, I don't think any Wheel Horse K241 had a long dip stick and tube, just a screw-in type. I don't know if you can see the counter-weights on the crankshaft by taking the camshaft cover off, but if so, the K301 has flat bottoms on the counter-weights and the K241 is round.

I'm not sure what the engine was from as I found it at a mates barn but it will probable end up in a Wheelhorse. :lol:

• Like 1

Lee1977

The stroke on a 10 HP is shorter then a 12 HP. The 10 HP has a 2 7/8" stroke and the 12 HP 14 HP and 16 HP has a 3 1/4" stroke.

Take a small wood dowel and measure a 12 HP  the 10 HP will be 3/8" shorter.

• Like 1

rmaynard
18 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

The stroke on a 10 HP is shorter then a 12 HP. The 10 HP has a 2 7/8" stroke and the 12 HP 14 HP and 16 HP has a 3 1/4" stroke.

Take a small wood dowel and measure a 12 HP  the 10 HP will be 3/8" shorter.

Unfortunately, that will not work since the spark plug hole is not over top of the piston.

Anglo Traction

Hi Chris. As already mentioned, I.D can't be based on Casting Marks or Cylinder Head. The differences in the Cylinder Heads are basic design changes and fitted to 241/301 engines, i.e your first and 3rd Head images are of Mk2 or 3 Heads and your second image is of a Mk 4 version.

On 18/11/2017 at 10:13 PM, rmaynard said:

I don't know if you can see the counter-weights on the crankshaft by taking the camshaft cover off, but if so, the K301 has flat bottoms on the counter-weights and the K241 is round.

:thumbs:Bob's option is the only real way if you're reluctant to see what is lurking under the Head. You could use a 'Scope on a Rope' to check for the Flats on the Webs through the Oil Pump apperture like so-

DSC01616.JPG.7acd55cb4e9ce30238febee5227bb299.JPG

Regards