Chris1055

Junk yard save!

KC9KAS

@Chris1055 Nice find!

I have been working on my C-160 and was wondering if you could get a photo of your engine from the carb side. Need to see the throttle and choke cable hook-ups.

Thanks!

Chris1055

This help ??

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Wishin4a416

Nice save!!! Would love to find them deals around here. Enjoy.

Ed Kennell

Great find and save.      :text-bravo:  Keep us posted with progress.   

I've seen a lot of snow blower side extension  wings  on  up side down, but a seat back, now  that's a first.    :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Chris1055

He model is 1-0380-9 year?

Ed Kennell

• Thanks 1

Pollack Pete

Why did he pull the engine off a perfectly good C-160?I'm sure he could have gotten more for a complete running tractor rather than just a 16 horse Kohler??

Chris1055

He puts 16 hp kohlers in sears suburbans so when finds a tractor with a k341 takes the motor and junks the rest but his father likes wheel horse so i don't know.

Edited by Chris1055
  • Sad 1

Chris1055

Is the engine shroud and starter the same on the 10 hp. This motor didn't come with a starter and the shroud is too far gone on the bottom I think I have a starter and shroud off a 10 hp in my shed 

Chris G

Nice save

Lee1977
5 hours ago, Chris1055 said:

Is the engine shroud and starter the same on the 10 hp. This motor didn't come with a starter and the shroud is too far gone on the bottom I think I have a starter and shroud off a 10 hp in my shed 

The shroud should be the same. You'll have to mount up the starter to see if it works. I recall a post that the K-series had two different starters the difference was the number of teeth on the starter. If both flywheel gears are the same it should work.

rmaynard

One starter has 14 teeth and one has 10. The 10 was for the 16hp, but will work on all the other ones that have the starter mounting holes at the bottom, K241, 301, and 321. 

Retired Wrencher

Chris. I'd rather have one like this than one painted three times lol. Most of here agree with this. If it is a worker who cares what it looks like as long as it  gets the job done. I just pick up 3 been out side for a while. Been going them one at a time. They will be fine workers when done. Enjoy the projects. 

Edited by Retierd Wrencher

Chris1055

Well found out it didn't have points either no big deal and I found a brand new seal and gasket kit which is a plus but this doesn't look like I'll have an issue with that. I just put a new seal around the points. Also the guy broke every bolt in the shroud so I had to tap those out. 

IMG_0009.JPG

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

This is a C160 I saved!  Bought for  $125  and runs like a locomotive!

96983448-F63D-47EC-9075-06BE2DFAC299.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Chris1055

Nice I hate seeing these junked !

AMC RULES

Another abandoned one here...

pulled from a field, trans frozen solid, full of water. 

Been mowing the lawn here, past two years now.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

IMG_6397.JPG.6a1db16f394ef63051a521990c46fc65.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

Sarge

I cannot figure out how anyone could abandon such an expensive machine - someone paid dearly for that tractor new and that particular model is a serious favorite among it's owners . Stupid levels of torque , very tough frame/transmissions and quite easy to work on them - why throw it away like that ? I have two , a '73 16Auto and a '74 C-160 - you'd have to pry them out of my cold , dead fingers and probably have the wife after you as well - they have done more work for us over the years than almost anything I've ever owned besides the 1277 - which is almost even better in some ways . The amount of dirt/rock/snow work they have done was probably far above their intended design , but they never really complain and I take great care of them with a lot of respect - which is highly deserved . Folks around this area know these quite well and their reputation - they have proven to be far more reliable and rugged above any other brand anyone has around here - and that includes both Deere and Cub models .

I guess our disposable society is catching up to too much valuable iron - need to keep an eye open in those scrap yards folks . I have a phone number listed with the yard guys at all our local spots - they call if anything comes in and they will save stuff for me off to the side of the working pile . Son in law got his very straight , running and working 1057 out of a scrap yard near me - he spotted it taking a load in on a guy's trailer and a few minutes later I had a call from the yard guy about it - said one got away from him before it hit the scale...I was relieved to see it came home later that day and he brought it over to show it off . Two weeks later , another load and a near-new 48" deck was scored from the same yard , even had all the guards and decals still on it - dumb .

Great save , always glad to hear how folks are keeping these machines alive - they certainly deserve the attention and love .

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:scratchead: Said it was his fathers. :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

Chris1055

She runs not even a puff of smoke on first start up I'm impressed! I gotta get busy if I'm gonna put the snowblower on it ! It got saved from the junk. Good original engine and it's gonna be back to work again for this horse!! Should I start a new topic called resurrection?

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

GREYGHOST

Going tomorrow and to look at one of these. No pics just word of mouth, but it must be pretty good. The owner is asking $$675.00. If Iknew get it soloist some pics. She also told me where a 1970 WH 800 was sitting also. I'm not familiar with the 800. So I'm not sure of the value of one of those. Any thoughts on either would be appreciated. Thanks

Brent

Edited by GREYGHOST
Addition

Ed Kennell
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, Chris1055 said:

IMG_0011.JPG

Ya gotta be careful with these big stallions around the mares Chris.See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 2