"Manic-Mechanic"

65lb Wheel Weights?

GlenPettit

Those are actually the ones made as 'Inside Weights', they can put on-&-off inside the wheel without removing the wheel from the tractor.

A lot more scarce than most other weights, 2/wheel = 4 halves of about 25# each.

IMAG3091.jpg.ba8defef0dc5375b718bcc70864f5d90.jpg

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, GlenPettit said:

Those are actually the ones made as 'Inside Weights', they can put on-&-off inside the wheel without removing the wheel from the tractor.

A lot more scarce than most other weights, 2/wheel = 4 halves of about 25# each.

IMAG3091.jpg.ba8defef0dc5375b718bcc70864f5d90.jpg

I know they were originally Massey Ferguson selling on eBay for $200+ but I found them on a junked Craftsman for $40, and they fit these deep dish 520 :wh: rears and I can hide them behind my wheel covers plus run the Cub weights on the inside at the same time, 35+50 and maybe 5gals fluid yet per side should be plenty for pushing or pulling.

• Like 2

"Manic-Mechanic"

Alright, this is how they are starting to look. The anchor bolts are in with nuts & washers, but not too terribly tight, give a little here an there. The weights (should) slide right on and place pieces of rubber (bicycle tube) at contact points.

IMG_2350.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

Edited by Oldman
  • Excellent 2

Sarge

If those center holes are large enough to get to the hub's lugs - you could mount the weight to the tire and then install the whole assembly - that's how I've done mine on the D with the 12" WH weights and wheels . I almost always stud the hubs with the heavy duty 7/16" fine thread machinery bolts from the rear and use loc-tite to seal them in tightly . That acts as a stud , then lug nuts can be used which makes it much easier to mount the wheels when needed . I hate fighting those lug bolts when there isn't much of a center hub to steady the wheel but the D does have a thicker raised center than others .

Sarge

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

The hole isn't quite large enough. I had given that some consideration, however, I align the height of the hub to that of the wheel, and it is fairly easy to bolt on that way. I did install the carriage bolts with some minor movement to accommodate the weights bolt pattern. Once the carriage bolts are tightened that shouldn't make a difference.......I (hope) to be able and slide the weight forward enough to spin a nut two threads and then place rubber before the weight on the contact points. It is a theory, but I'm sure it'll work.

Sarge

I just use rubber cement to hold the pads in place - works good and easier to position the weight without losing a digit or two...lol . Wrestling those weights while vertical can be a challenge for sure , but the traction is totally worth the effort .

Sarge

• Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

I have the pads in place, letting them set. I took a rough picture of the plow,(Back is tight) or I'd put in on.

IMG_2357.JPG

IMG_2359.JPG

Edited by Oldman

"Manic-Mechanic"

The finished product.

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2368.JPG

• Like 2

Sarge

That looks absolutely perfect - they sure fit those rims just right and finish the look nicely . It should make a difference in how the tractor feels - should be a lot more "planted" with the weights . Just be careful on starting and stopping , no quick movements on the direction control as it can put some serious pressure spikes in the hydraulic system - which always go right back to that vulnerable engine coupling .

Finally got mine back together yesterday and took it for a short test spin - nice to be in the seat of that big D again .

Sarge

• Excellent 2

"Manic-Mechanic"

:text-bravo::wwp: