Kenneth R Cluley

Charger 12 random shut off

Kenneth R Cluley

Have breakerless ignition set-up on Charger 12 , Kohler k301s, it will start and run for several minutes then looses spark and shuts off. No set time it seems random and engine not hot. If shut off key it will immediately restart and run for awhile and then again loose spark and shut off. I have tested all the components as per manual and they all check OK. Any idea what the primary voltage to coil should be on this system?. I disconnected wire to switch to eliminate possible ground issue with same result. My gut says probably the trigger but can't be sure because it tested fine with batteries and light bulb.

953 nut

Could be a little chafing on the wire from the module to the ignition switch, grounding out randomly.

Kenneth R Cluley

Changed/replaced  all wiring and disconnected that wire with same results.

953 nut

Could be a wire behind the flywheel has come loose.

formariz
On 11/16/2017 at 7:28 PM, Kenneth R Cluley said:

Have breakerless ignition set-up on Charger 12 , Kohler k301s, it will start and run for several minutes then looses spark and shuts off. No set time it seems random and engine not hot. If shut off key it will immediately restart and run for awhile and then again loose spark and shut off. I have tested all the components as per manual and they all check OK. Any idea what the primary voltage to coil should be on this system?. I disconnected wire to switch to eliminate possible ground issue with same result. My gut says probably the trigger but can't be sure because it tested fine with batteries and light bulb.

Did you solve this?

Kenneth R Cluley

Narrowed down to stator. Figured out how to test using old neon light A/C-D/C tester. Decided to go "Old School" and put points coil on. Parts locally only cost me about $50.00. She's running now with no random shut down. Stator may be charging but I didn't check that for sure yet. Will verify when more time after Thanksgiving. 

• Excellent 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

She's running now with no random shut down.

:woohoo:           The stator has two parts, one for charging and one for ignition, should be OK. Since the rest of the ignition system was good you may want to offer it for sale here, lots of these systems are being used.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/for-sale/?do=form&d=2

Kenneth R Cluley

Definitely the ignition portion was bad . That was the coil that I had broken terminal and wire issue. It worked after that but would shut down intermittently. I may just look for stator over next couple months and see about fixing in future. I need to fix driveway and ditch area on property this coming week so went with what i new would work for now. But, I did learn a lot about this type of system! Thanks to all !

formariz
58 minutes ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

Definitely the ignition portion was bad . That was the coil that I had broken terminal and wire issue. It worked after that but would shut down intermittently. I may just look for stator over next couple months and see about fixing in future. I need to fix driveway and ditch area on property this coming week so went with what i new would work for now. But, I did learn a lot about this type of system! Thanks to all !

When looking for a stator look for one for a Tecumseh. They are more common and a lot less expensive.Quite a few on eBay now. Good used ones usually go for around $60.00 or less.It is the same 10 amp stator as the Kohler the exception being that it usually has 4 wires instead of three .One short wire for ignition module and then three together. The middle one usually green just cap it( shut off wire to some switches) and then the other two are AC wires going to rectifier.You don't need a model # to find it. Their appearance is unique, you will see it right way specially when you type Tecumseh stator. Not a thousand to choose from like Kohler.

Edited by formariz

Kenneth R Cluley

Thanks for info. Happy Thanksgiving to All.