MadScientist

Need some help

MadScientist

Hi all, I am new here and I am wondering if anyone could help me out. I have an old Horse CA-120 special model # 133619 in excellent physical shape with a dead engine. Is there a modern engine that I could use as a replacement for this model? I would love to get this old girl running again before the nasty winter weather sets in.

Tecumseh engine #'s

commercial duty 12Hp

OH160/ model

170182G/ spec

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer.

Edited by MadScientist

pfrederi

An OH 160 Tecumseh is an over head valve 16 HP engine,  WH never used it, it is not I would guess the original engine.  133619 doesn't sound like a WH model number.  Have you any other numbers or a picture

Edited by pfrederi

MadScientist

Thank you for the reply. Sounds like someone had re powered at some point in the past. The model number I took right  from the manufacturer plate on the center frame of the machine, Not sure at this point if there other numbers present. I can post some pics of the machine tomorrow afternoon.

I would guess it would be a good starting point aside from finding other numbers is to mic out the output shaft and see what I have?

gwest_ca

The 133619 may be a serial number for the 1975 tractor model 1-0375. See if this number is stamped above the serial number. Click on the fuzzy picture.

There was a HH-160 Tecumseh used in 1974 but the HH was changed to OH to more easily recognize the overhead valve design.

Garry

KC9KAS

@MadScientist :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

JC 1965

:WRS:

953 nut

:WRS:           Hard to say what changes were made by previous owners, if that is the OHV engine there may be some interest by others.

MadScientist

Thank you for all of your replies:)

gwest_ca-(File Mod)

You are correct, I had missed the second set of numbers when I had wrote the information down. So this machine seems to be from 75' with a 16 horse OHV Tecumseh.  Thanks so much for your help. I did manage to get it running, however it is surging bad with fuel blowing out of the carb, could be loading up the engine (dumping)? Also the breather is dumping large amounts of oil onto the motor from the vent pipe, It does appear that someone has had this apart as can be seen from the pic trace amounts of high temp RTV on top. I would love to rebuild the carb as I have found a rebuild kit at my local ACE hardware store, However from reading another post here I had read that if those breathers are not reassembled properly they will blow out large amounts of oil making it appear to be gross blow by. I read the information that

gwest_ca-(File Mod) 

Had provided and it would seem that the original motor was a 12 Hp? I am not sure if another branded 16 Hp engine will work with this chassis?

Being that I really need this machine to get some work done on the property I am wondering if there is another motor that will work on this chassis with relatively low modification to the chassis? If there is,  I can take my time with the minor overhaul of the original engine when I have more time. I have attached some pics, Again thanks to all for your assistance, And the warm welcome:)

Eric

20171116_101052.jpg

20171116_101104.jpg

20171116_101119.jpg

20171116_101156.jpg

20171116_101235.jpg

20171116_101128.jpg

20171116_101534.jpg

20171116_101552.jpg

Edited by MadScientist
  • Like 3

gwest_ca

A Kohler M12, M14 or M16 may be the simplest swap because both engines use magneto ignition. You would need to make sure the oil pan and the pto crankshaft is the same. Not all are.

Garry

Skipper

I have a C120 almost identical to yours. Very reliable, and simple to work on. If I were in your shoes, and you truly want to keep it as a worker for many years to come, I would trow in a 16 hp K series Kohler. Either a good used, or a rebuild. You can do a complete rebuild for about 150$. The 16 hp is really nice, and really good on power. I find the 12 hp a tad too small. The K series is my favorite for the old C's ;-)

• Like 2

MadScientist

Thank you for the suggestions. Would you be able to point me in the right direction where I may find one of those "K" series Kohlers?

Wondering what the differences are between the M16 and the K series?

Edited by MadScientist
  • Like 1

Skipper

M series are a newer design, amd the K is the old period correct if that matters to you :-). Basically the same engine with a few alterations, but the M has solid state ignition, and the K uses points as the big difference.

Try the wanted section, or call up some of the vendors.

Also some of the forum members do sell parts, and I have pm'd you a contact for one i know. If he doesn't have it, he knows where it is at.

Engine code for the K 16 hp is K341

Good luck

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

MadScientist

Thank you, I will try that and see what happens. I am more leaning toward a decent functioning engine as I really don't have the time to do the rebuild ATM Perhaps a late winter project:D I would like it to be build correct, But for now i wouldn't mind using an M Kohler.

MadScientist

I hope that I will be able to find one to get this machine up and working. Due to my other machines needing various maintnance would help me loads before the serious weather sets in:o

pacer

I agree on looking at the K & M series engines, they are plentiful, usually relatively inexpensive, quite easy to work on, with lots of available used and new parts. The K series came in 10, 12, 14, & 16hp and being the older design should be more available - and a very simple, basic design that most guys can do the routine repairs. As skipper said the K341 16hp is the most desirable - its a brute and tough and dependable! But I would think the 12 & 14hps would serve you well also......

Oh, and welcome to the madness of HORSES!!

MadScientist

From what you all are telling me and from what I am reading, I tend to agree that the K series would be the better bet over the long haul.

However as I had mentioned I am stretched for time and would like to find one complete preferably in a rebuilt or like new condition, Then at a later time, when I have more time I can start accumulating the parts I need to re build the one I have in it now.;)

Searcher60
11 minutes ago, pacer said:

I agree on looking at the K & M series engines, they are plentiful, usually relatively inexpensive, quite easy to work on, with lots of available used and new parts. The K series came in 10, 12, 14, & 16hp and being the older design should be more available - and a very simple, basic design that most guys can do the routine repairs. As skipper said the K341 16hp is the most desirable - its a brute and tough and dependable! But I would think the 12 & 14hps would serve you well also......

Oh, and welcome to the madness of HORSES!!

Just curious what you think relatively inexpensive is in dollars? No disagreement, but a good running K341 ain’t cheap.

MadScientist

I however did realize that keeping an antique tractor up to par is NEVER cheap as per the one I have parked right along side of the Horse.

If someone would be willing to part with one, I do understand it will carry a nice tag....And my inquiry is serious!

Again, I  thank all of you that are helping me with this, It is very much appreciated :)

Edited by MadScientist

R. L. Addison

Too bad we are not closer. I have a K341 (low rise) sitting on my shelf (not tried to start it since overhaul) along with a K301,(about $400or slightly more)

in parts, maybe run two hours, & a K321 I have to check out.

• Like 1

MadScientist

Would you be willing to part with it?

• Like 1

R. L. Addison

I assume you are talking about the 341? Shipping is cost prohibitive, as well as time , I don't know how long it would take to ship, or cost. Not trying to discourage you, but I can see about two weeks at least getting it going, and by that time you could have yours running. I will sell it, (any of the three) but you will have a mint invested by the time your original engine is back on, if that is the goal. If you want any  one of them I will do every thing I can to get it checked out & shipped. Thank you, Ron                                              dunngawn@hotmail.com