ohiofarmer

Post your non-tractor, non Wheel Horse winter shop projects Here

Texas Todd

Land clearing begins for the shop.....oh yeah and her house......I have equipment envy!!

5a14c4772dd30_20171121_1625012.jpg.0840e67794847195e5e26437389b04c5.jpg

• Like 6

Racinbob

Let me guess. Your bathroom started out as a facelift but when you discovered the mold it turned in to a complete gut job. That's what happened to me. My wife thinks the horrendous mold that I uncovered could be a factor in me ending up in the hospital. :-(

• Sad 1

19richie66

No it started as a "lets replace the vanity. You know we also need a new tub". Bought a tub. Couldn't get it in without destroying the wall. Ended up replacing the bathroom and the closet doors with wider ones. Still no tub going in without taking out studs. So sell the tub we bought and then decided on a closet and walkin shower. So more drywall, concrete board. Then had to wait to get the shower floor poured. Ran out of floor tile and lowes quit carrying it. Found a place in St. Augustine that ordered it for me but had to drive 2 hours to get it. Made a weekend getaway out of it. So now I'm at the point where I need wall tile and the guy fudged my order. No tile till after 12-12-17 so I have a couple more weeks to finish working in the yard. Yes I am slow but I like to do it right. Don't want to have to do it over. No rushing it. Thats it in a short story. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

ebinmaine

@19richie66, nice job on the no rush. Best way to do things I find. :thumbs:Your story sounds like pretty much every single project of any kind I have ever tried to do. :)My honey and I have a phrase now.

"Wing it!"

• Like 1

Sarge

Guilty as charged here too , don't sweat that small stuff - it just leads to stress that isn't necessary . It's taken so long to get things done lately I'm starting to wonder if I'm going forward or backwards...hard to tell some days .

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
On 11/21/2017 at 7:27 PM, Texas Todd said:

Land clearing begins for the shop.....oh yeah and her house......

Wait !!

Some lucky woman gets to sleep in your shop ????:ychain:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

One of our winter projects will be re-arranging and changing this kitchen corner set-up.

The lights are going to be a track light.

Below them will be a home-made hanging wooden pot rack my honey is gonna throw together. Picture a ladder of saplings about 15 x 35 inches hanging from a chain or two. I'll post pics of that later.

The stove is being replaced and moved to where the butcher block is.

The butcher block in the corner will be cut in half, glued back together length-wise to make a  roughly 13 x 54 work surface replacing the bar but at the same height as the rest of the tops. MUCH more useful space for food prep.

Under the new counter will be cubby holes for recycling buckets and stuff.

Annddd... the grey tile floor will be ripped out and replaced with a non-patternized vinyl floor.

20171004_194728.jpg.646a826a3c8da0b009f19300d269da40.jpg

• Like 2

19richie66

Yeah that is kind of a wasted space in that corner. That should be nice when done. I like done but am far from it. :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 1

Texas Todd
58 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Wait !!

Some lucky woman gets to sleep in your shop ????:ychain:

Absolutely not! Thats my doghouse!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Digger 66

Just rebuilt the rear differential on the Can Am 

(I spent more on specialty tools than the bearings & seals .)

Going to rebuild the gearbox and front /rear differentials in the E-MAXX this winter .

jwltsA0.jpg

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

This is one I did a while back. My one ton Dodge driveshaft was hanging by a thread. The carrier bearing was available aftemarket ,but the bracket/carrier bearing comes as a group from Chrysler.  two hunert fifty---i don.t think so. I made my own

I had to tape the original together to size the new one, but the new one is built out of something much heavier than the beer can crap of the originals

070.JPG

069.JPG

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

Here is the bathroom project from Satan's hideout

It needed everything--from foundation and replacing bottom plates to every building trade there is

It makes me tired to think about it now. Just recovering after a year of chemo, and I had to mix 35 80 pound bags of concrete in a mixer and carry it up 3 steps and carry it into the house and dump it in the forms.The plates and grade beam were actually formed into the wall, so that turned out OK

The key to the project wotking well is the fact that the floor and wall each were suupported seperately and together by the stem wall and that wall was formed in a light weight fashion anticipating a slow pour that took all day. A fast pour would have blown out the forms You can see the planks I had to walk across and pour the concrete into the two inch gap

Eventually, the floor frame took shape and was super strong to boot

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

036.jpg

038.jpg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 3

19richie66

Wow, suddenly my bathroom doesn't seem all that bad a job. And doing it after chemo?...... my hats off to you sir! Hope all is well with you now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

And doing it after chemo?...... my hats off to you sir! Hope all is well with you now. 

Agreed !!

@ohiofarmer well done sir.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Here is the floor system that you never want to have to go beneath. Just too far to crawl in and the other workers left a battlefield of a mess under the house. Note the lower pipe going through the foundation. that pipe is the clean-out and can be accessed from outside. Just stick a garden hose in and it flushes out easily. The floor is solid tile and the shower is concrete and tile.

The pedestal sink was a good solution. There is limited room in front of the toilet. so what I did is build a custom banjo shaped vanity/shelf unit. Simple to do as i used click together flooring as a cabinet liner. Fast, easy, and pre finished. The cabinet was built from 100 year old tobacco boxes and I simply scribed and fit the tobacco box material to make doors that fit the bottom curve of the pedestal sink. Lost the pictures of that..All the heat comes from a vent under the vanity and exits vents in the toe kick. Form follows function when you are saving space.

Because the building is so old that the walls were not plumb, Laser levels and shimming the walls became a common theme. You can see the gap shimmed behind the tile board in the shower

I used the flooring to finish any other areas of the walls not covered in tile [part of the ceiling and upper walls and it turned out nice. this project would have been a disaster if you had to have it done by contractors as the tile, electrical, cabinets and everything had to be done in stages. Guys who id jobs will not work that way and i don't blame them. That is when it is nice to be able to change from tile setter to electrician to cabinetmaker all in one day if necessary.

Sorry there are not pictures of everything. BTW surgery was seven years ago and the last chemo was about 5, So we will remain vigilant it does not come back

062.jpg

064.jpg

066.jpg

060.jpg

057.jpg

• Like 5

19richie66

Wow what a mine field to crawl through. Glad you are good to go! 

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                         It is great to be able to change hats (and trades) quickly when needed. Nice job,

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanities I have done plumbing repairs in a few crawl spaces like that, sure makes you glad when the job is done knowing you don't have to go back down there.

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger spelling
  • Like 2

slim67

This is one of my winter projects. It's a G9 Yamaha gas cart that needs a lot of work that I plan on turning into an off roader. I've done several before this but they were in better shape. The electric G2 is just for parts. Carts have gone up in price over the last several years and I have more time than money. Besides this won't be a show cart.

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

• Like 3

slim67
On 11/23/2017 at 10:15 PM, ohiofarmer said:

Here is the bathroom project from Satan's hideout

It needed everything--from foundation and replacing bottom plates to every building trade there is

It makes me tired to think about it now. Just recovering after a year of chemo, and I had to mix 35 80 pound bags of concrete in a mixer and carry it up 3 steps and carry it into the house and dump it in the forms.The plates and grade beam were actually formed into the wall, so that turned out OK

The key to the project wotking well is the fact that the floor and wall each were suupported seperately and together by the stem wall and that wall was formed in a light weight fashion anticipating a slow pour that took all day. A fast pour would have blown out the forms You can see the planks I had to walk across and pour the concrete into the two inch gap

Eventually, the floor frame took shape and was super strong to boot

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

036.jpg

038.jpg

That's a project alright. I feel for you on the quickcrete . Sometimes there is no other way. You have skills sir.

ohiofarmer
14 hours ago, slim67 said:

This is one of my winter projects. It's a G9 Yamaha gas cart that needs a lot of work that I plan on turning into an off roader. I've done several before this but they were in better shape. The electric G2 is just for parts. Carts have gone up in price over the last several years and I have more time than money. Besides this won't be a show cart.

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

There is a guy in my area who does lots of custom carts. He has wheels and mounted tires for a reasonable price. Since you are a fellow Buckeye, maybe you could visit him if you ever get out this way...Of course they are standard tires because he puts traction tires on most of his builds I am going to use those tires along with some hubs from another source to put some rubber on the back of a little 1075 roller and make it into a  dedicated spray rig/ yard tractor

I hope you can show us some of your builds as it would be very interesting to see them.

Edited by ohiofarmer

slim67
2 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

There is a guy in my area who does lots of custom carts. He has wheels and mounted tires for a reasonable price. Since you are a fellow Buckeye, maybe you could visit him if you ever get out this way...Of course they are standard tires because he puts traction tires on most of his builds I am going to use those tires along with some hubs from another source to put some rubber on the back of a little 1075 roller and make it into a  dedicated spray rig/ yard tractor

I hope you can show us some of your builds as it would be very interesting to see them.

Thank you. I would be happy to show off some of my carts and will show progress on this one also. I plan on a homemade lift of 4 to 6 inches and already have a set of 21x11-8 Goodyear Terra's for it. They are basically the same tires albeit smaller than what's on my B80. Your project sounds interesting as well.

dclarke

I'm in the process of repurposing this old player piano into a computer desk. I just finished making a coat/hat rack out of part of it and another piece of the piano will be used for the front of a hinged top box/bench that will sit under the coat rack. 

DSC06763.JPG

DSC06765.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

That will make one awesome desk!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, dclarke said:

repurposing this old player piano .....

Love that !!

Use what ya' have.

:text-bravo:

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Here is my effort at polishing aluminum. The front timing belt covers for a 1000 CC liquid cooled Goldwing engine. These take a beating as they are behind the front tire. The one on the left is about done and the one on the right is cleaned but not buffed at all.

The easiest way for me is to use a fiber whizz wheel and very carefully flatten the surface to fresh metal, then hand wet sand with 400,600,1000,and 1500 grit. Then use Mother's mag polish on a wheel and then Mothers Mag polish on a t-shirt.  Pictures do not do this justice as you could use the left one as a shaving mirror

021.JPG

• Like 2