ebinmaine

How did you create, or get stuck with, your screen name?

953 nut
9 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

brain is losing some of the stored data.

I think a lot of us fall into that group. We all have the same data stored away, but the retrieval mechanism sometimes fails us.  :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine
17 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

sorry for the long post,

Ed, and everyone else for that matter. Never apologize for a long post. Those of us that love to read them will be very happy. Those of us that don't like long posts will skip over it and still be happy.

Personally,  I like 'em.....

On 11/12/2017 at 4:14 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

Louis L’Amour’

I'm a HHUUGGE Louis Lamour fan. ... I'll write more later when I have time

• Like 7

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:—one of the things that I love about this forum is the variety of folks from all walk of life that are part of it. With that comes a lot of different perspectives and insights.  Some guys are great with technical things, others amazing fabricators, some mechanical gurus, and some who just have a :wh: and need some help fixing or maintaining it.  In just the few short year that I’ve been a part of RS, I’ve seen how well this community works together because the core of guys on here are good guys. Some guys are content to say what they need to in a line or two. Others (like myself :hide:) tend to write a book for a post!  I have learned to appreciate both styles and everyone in between. Sometimes I don’t have time to read a long post and find myself skimming it, but later when I’m relaxing I’ll come back to it and take time to “digest” it!  

I’ve really enjoyed this thread and even digging back into the old one from three years ago. It’s cool to see how people come up with their screen names...

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

Jerry77
18 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

sorry for the long post

Not at all......you have been one busy man....wears me out just thinking of all the stuff you have done and accomplished.....:bow-blue:

• Like 6

Sarge
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat:—one of the things that I love about this forum is the variety of folks from all walk of life that are part of it. With that comes a lot of different perspectives and insights.  Some guys are great with technical things, others amazing fabricators, some mechanical gurus, and some who just have a :wh: and need some help fixing or maintaining it.  In just the few short year that I’ve been a part of RS, I’ve seen how well this community works together because the core of guys on here are good guys. Some guys are content to say what they need to in a line or two. Others (like myself :hide:) tend to write a book for a post!  I have learned to appreciate both styles and everyone in between. Sometimes I don’t have time to read a long post and find myself skimming it, but later when I’m relaxing I’ll come back to it and take time to “digest” it!  

I’ve really enjoyed this thread and even digging back into the old one from three years ago. It’s cool to see how people come up with their screen names...

Glad to hear responses like that - I know I can sometimes get pretty long-winded with details about how to do things or repairs , fabricating and such...hope they aren't too boring to our members . I'm deeply a detail-oriented guy and quite picky about how things are done and hate re-visiting an issue - would rather fix it once than do it ever again . Favorite line for those I'm teaching - "If you don't have the time to fix it right , how will you have time to fix it again ? " ....

Sarge

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Jerry77
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm a HHUUGGE Louis Lamour fan.

Me too....I have all of his books in paperback and have read each many times...like his hopalong cassidy books too..of course he claimed he never wrote them but his son cleared that up..best western writer ever..  :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Jerry77 said:

Me too....I have all of his books in paperback and have read each many times...like his hopalong cassidy books too..of course he claimed he never wrote them but his son cleared that up..best western writer ever..  :)

Man oh man...... 

I hope to someday have the leather bound set.

Here's most of mine.... with a couple others..... I  have maybe a little over half... ?

20171115_192140.jpg.c8768abba4de5627c5e49a42c0169a0b.jpg

• Like 5

Shynon
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, stevasaurus said:

where is the sausage at the show

it was in the fridge, @WHX12 and I forgot to take it out:text-imsorry:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 11/12/2017 at 3:10 PM, KC9KAS said:

@stevasaurus Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to stay "low tech".... Much simpler times of our lives.

I too listen to my 8 Track tapes in the Man-Cave!

The stereos in my shop and house are both at least 20 years old... I have an old cassette player for one that was given to me by another appreciator of older sound units.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 11/15/2017 at 12:48 AM, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Very good and interesting thread. I really like it.

I agree !!!

Thanks everyone for posting !

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 11/15/2017 at 6:00 PM, Jerry77 said:

best western writer ever

@PeacemakerJack I was introduced to Lamour back about 35 or so years ago when I got the 2 leatherbound books from a sort-of 3rd set of grandparents we were lucky enough to have as kids.

Silver canyon and Flint.

Still two of my favorites from him.

I genuinely appreciate the fact that if Lamour wrote it, he likely lived it, even if for a very short time. He did many many jobs to keep food in his and his families mouths.... but also - He tried doing many things just to see what they were like. Didn't take the word from others, he went and Did what whatever it was...

If he wrote that was a particular landmark such as a farm or building or rock or canyon... It was really there at the the time of the story or close to it. (His personal library had over 10,000 maps of ancient to modern times)

Westerns paid his bills... so he wrote mostly westerns. But I enjoy the others as well. Crime stories, science fiction etc...

A great writer and a great man who wrote what he lived and lived what he wrote.

• Like 3

Jerry77
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

A great writer and a great man who wrote what he lived and lived what he wrote.

A man's man for sure...I have a few hardbacks, but the vast majority of mine are paperbacks....read many times and both of my sons have read them all, probably more than once...I really like westerns but the other writers just don't cut it....have a few by william johnstone that are good, but ....as far as western movies, I put "lonesome dove" at the top..glad to hear from you...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

I’ve been a fan of Louis L’Amour since I was first learning to read. I grew up watching westerns even though I was born about a generation after that genre was really popular.  My dad was the one who watched every episode of Gunsmoke and Bonanza as it came out on the old tube TV.  However, I often remember him saying that many these new movies are junk compared to the old westerns.  There was character, honesty, work ethic, and diligence touted as things that a person strove to attain.  So, having films by John Wayne, Roy Rogers, etc in front of me, it’s no wonder that I found myself engrossed in the L’Amour books.  I have a fairly small collection, maybe 25-30 of his books but readying this has encouraged me to get more. It is too hard for me to pick a favorite but I have been partial to the Sackett Brand because of it tying together so many of the popular Sacketts who are found in other books. I guess it is about time to introduce my 13 and 11 year olds to Mr. L’Amour...:think: that way they can really understand why I use the Sackett name for my alias!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Jerry77
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

introduce my 13 and 11 year olds to Mr. L’Amour

If they like to read ( my family is heavy into reading ) you may want to go to the used book store and stock up....L'Amour is addictive...lol.. and good reading for young minds.. good to ride the river with....:)

• Like 3

JPWH

I am also a big L'Amour fan. It took a few years to collect all the Sackett books. After I got them all I read them all in chronological order. What a good read!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

L’Amour books.  I have a fairly small collection, maybe 25-30 of his books but readying this has encouraged me to get more

Say if I  was to check my collection for doubles. .. there's a few. .. you'd be welcome to 'em if you don't already have 'em.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

good to ride the river with

Well done... I see what ya did there...:thumbs:

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Say if I  was to check my collection for doubles. .. there's a few. .. you'd be welcome to 'em if you don't already have 'em.

I would totally take you up on that!  PM me about it when you get a chance!

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
On 11/15/2017 at 6:24 PM, ebinmaine said:

Man oh man...... 

I hope to someday have the leather bound set.

Here's most of mine.... with a couple others..... I  have maybe a little over half... ?

20171115_192140.jpg.c8768abba4de5627c5e49a42c0169a0b.jpg

My Mom just gave the whole leather bound set to my Uncle John. My Dad, whos gone now, didn't like them. If I would have seen this a week ago, they would have been yours!!

Randy

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

My Mom just gave the whole leather bound set to my Uncle John. My Dad, whos gone now, didn't like them. If I would have seen this a week ago, they would have been yours!!

Randy

Aahhgg!

:rolleyes:

No worries man... Thanks for the thought though! 

I'll get that set eventually....

WHX??
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, stevasaurus said:

We want deer sausage!!!  :occasion-xmas: 

We know what you are getting from Santa!

Back in '15 when I joined RS I had three horses ... needless to say I have 12 + now! and I'm not counting the vertical shafts anymore. ...Round hoods & RS  will do that to a fella! :lol: Only way I can keep decent track of them with having to take my shoes off! Going to see a collector who is selling so may be I can skip the unlucky 13!?!?!?

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

squonk
On 11/12/2017 at 6:44 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I still am wearing shoes (Red Wings) that were purchased before 1990.

Armed with that knowledge, I have no idea on how I couldn't find you! :)

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WHX12 said:

the unlucky 13

No such thing. Lots o' things I'd like to have 13 of.

More Acres. Wheelhorses. $100,000 bonds in my name. Buckets of ice cream. Lots o' things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3