JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

My absence from here, my new home.

prondzy

Looks awesome!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Very nice. I like the design, and view

Looks like quality work. I love the 3 floor decks. Is that going to be garage space in the basement? 

I framed a roof like that once. Sheathing it felt more like sheathing a leaning wall. When you stood on the roof jacks, you could stand straight and touch the sheathing right in front of you without bending. Was scary in the wind, lifting sheets of plywood. :)

Curious though. Looks like a solid 4x4 or possibly glue lam at the bottom of the stairs. Any idea why? Was it just handy, or is there a structural reason?

• Like 1

JPWH

Looks good Glenn. Quality is worth the delays in the long run. What a beautiful view you will have. Thanks for sharing.

Jay

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Looking good. Nice house layout. I deliver building materials and I see houses in various states of completion every day and it never gets old.

Thanks for sharing !

Glad too see it's nearing the move-in point.

Not sure why you sold the tractors though... plenty o' space in the great room...

Yes, honey I know it's a tractor. That's my TV chair.

No, honey that's not a tractor it's a guest seat...:ychain:

• Like 5

dclarke

That's quite a project, Glenn. Glad you got it boxed in before winter, please keep the pics coming. Very impressive! 

• Like 1

JC 1965

Congrats Glenn, Looks really good so far. Keep us updated on your progress.     :thumbs2:

• Like 1

Sparky

That 3rd floor deck would be my favorite spot! Awesome views.

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:    Looks like you will have room for the herd in the ground level area.     :ychain:

Great feeling to have the home you want built just for you. We did the same thing six years ago, did our own design and participated in every aspect of the build. I did the wiring and plumbing and we did all of the painting and flooring. Acting as our own general contractor and hiring subs to do what we didn't want to do saved us over $ 80,000 and we were able to include a lot of upgrades as a result.

008.JPG.44d29202717097c07211321ed073de66.JPG

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Kurt-NEPA

Looking good Glenn, great to hear from you.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Awesome Glenn, sometimes the hobbies have to be put on hold for the bigger picture, good luck on all your future endeavors, Jeff.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
19 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Very nice. I like the design, and view

Looks like quality work. I love the 3 floor decks. Is that going to be garage space in the basement? 

I framed a roof like that once. Sheathing it felt more like sheathing a leaning wall. When you stood on the roof jacks, you could stand straight and touch the sheathing right in front of you without bending. Was scary in the wind, lifting sheets of plywood. :)

Curious though. Looks like a solid 4x4 or possibly glue lam at the bottom of the stairs. Any idea why? Was it just handy, or is there a structural reason?

Hey Brian, good eyes and very observant. Yes, there are structural reasons for installing those 5 1/2 PSL POST. They are point loads for the huge 5  1/2 x 16 PSL flush beams. By oversize get I was able to eliminate point loads and columns in certain rooms to give that wide open feeling and not bumping in to columns all over the rooms. . I also oversized the TJI floor joists so when you walk on the floors you don't have that "bounce" in the floor. Every floor feels like you are walking on a concrete slab. Speaking of slabs they are 7 inch thick in the garages of 4000 psi fiber mesh concrete. My footing are poured solid 30 inch thick, to grade. 30 yards of concrete for the footing with 4 #4 rods, and every 16" on center,  a number 4 rod going up vertical to carry though the ten inch block and filled solid all the way up for 15 courses....

The roof has a 16 inch microlam Ridge, I did not need collar ties because of the structural Ridge, but decided to add them, we used 2x8s on every rafter. The wind can whip up off the bay and when a nor easter rolls in off the water I wanted everything solid. Hurricane clips to exterior wall 2x6 wall framing other attachment ideas per the architect were done.

You get an A plus for good carpenter eyes.

Glenn

10 hours ago, Sparky said:

That 3rd floor deck would be my favorite spot! Awesome views.

Thanks Mike. That happens to be my son Mikes room. He picked it right off the bat for him and his beagle Murphy. He already calls it his "crows nest". We have 2 big rooms up there front and rear, a full bath and walk in attics flanking the rooms. Your right, The view is spectacular. 

Glenn

10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:    Looks like you will have room for the herd in the ground level area.     :ychain:

Great feeling to have the home you want built just for you. We did the same thing six years ago, did our own design and participated in every aspect of the build. I did the wiring and plumbing and we did all of the painting and flooring. Acting as our own general contractor and hiring subs to do what we didn't want to do saved us over $ 80,000 and we were able to include a lot of upgrades as a result.

008.JPG.44d29202717097c07211321ed073de66.JPG

Rich, your right sir. Saving some dough and the garage is a 2 car on both sides. So 4 I  total. I could pack plenty of wheel horses in there. But with such a small lot and driveway, I will be able to care for the place with my tiny herd. Thanks for the words.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Well fellas, thanks for the kind words from everyone. It sure makes me feel good and not forgotten. I will be sure to get some more pictures on when the siding is on and the decks complete. That wind off the bay makes it a chilly day. But we are pushing forward. 

Thanks again. Glenn

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Beautiful new home in progress Glenn...looking forward to seeing more as you move along

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

A followup. Siding done. Plumbing roughed in. Hvac ducts being finished.  2 ,  5 ton units set. Electricians completing rough in. Top floors closed in for winter, garage not, snow on concrete never hurt anything.  Inspections after the holidays. Time to kick back a bit. That wind was WICKED off the bay yesterday. A picture off that top deck, I need those rails in.

Glenn

20171207_090831-2268x3024.jpg

20171207_144105.jpg

20171207_144027.jpg

20171207_144749.jpg

20171207_144041.jpg

20171122_143516.jpg

• Like 9

Kurt-NEPA

Wow, it's looking great Glenn.  Keep us posted.

• Like 1

JPWH

Looking real nice Glenn!

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Glenn , Not sure how I missed your thread , now I am a month behind. That is one great looking house. You sure have paid attention to the details and I can tell it 1000% better than the junk they construct now and want $500,000.00 for. I will continue to follow your project.

• Like 1