Big_Red_Fred

Weight Box for 3 point

Big_Red_Fred

Son has a D200, wants a weight box, anyone have dimensions to one ? Thanks, BRF

Adams94

Only picture I have right now, I got it last year.  It had a John Deere part number on the bottom.  Cat 0. I added casters to the bottom to move it easy when it's off.  It is full of stone

IMG_0564.JPG

• Like 4

953 nut

Don't have the measurements handy (I'm in Florida right now) but mine was made up of scrap pieces of 3/32" and 1/4" plate I had on hand. Used some 5/8" cold rolled round running through the box for the lower attachment point and angle iron at the top. an old Reese hitch was incorporated to allow me to tow a cart if needed.

5a083552452cc_GT-14withFEL004.JPG.f8c9151fe28392562141baced54f63d6.JPG

9 hours ago, Adams94 said:

added casters to the bottom to move it easy when it's off.

I like that idea, may have to borrow it.    :thanks:

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

The best way to make those 3pt weight boxes is buy one then you have a template...

IMAG3243.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KC9KAS
15 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The best way to make those 3pt weight boxes is buy one then you have a template...

Then you can tell us what the dimensions are! :ychain:

Edited by KC9KAS
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Big_Red_Fred

Hmm, I thought i was a Red Neck hahahaha, come on Big ShowIMG_05581.jpg.21fe5d141ec1353be67d7cdc6d8326c4.jpg

• Haha 1

KC9KAS

@Big_Red_Fred If I remember correctly (and that is sometimes a challenge) the ARK weight box I saw for an ARK loader was made with "arms" if you will on the front, facing forward and slid into the rear loader "sub-frame". I don't think there was any other mounting attachment points on the box to tractor.

And you would think SOMEONE on Red Square would have one of these and give you (and me) the measurements!

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
26 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

@Big_Red_Fred If I remember correctly (and that is sometimes a challenge) the ARK weight box I saw for an ARK loader was made with "arms" if you will on the front, facing forward and slid into the rear loader "sub-frame". I don't think there was any other mounting attachment points on the box to tractor.

And you would think SOMEONE on Red Square would have one of these and give you (and me) the measurements!

Do you think it will help my son & his D200 for traction plowing or is wheel weights enough ?

WVHillbilly520H

Extra weight is always a good thing for traction (till something breaks) or to counter balance the opposite heavy attachment like my set up for garden plowing then snow blowing.

IMAG3375.jpg

Screenshot_2016-12-06-18-32-35.png

KC9KAS
3 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Do you think it will help my son & his D200 for traction plowing or is wheel weights enough ?

For snow plowing, I like weighted tires and chains.

Personally I don't think it makes much difference traction wise if the (same pounds) weight is inside the tire or outside the tire.

As stated above, depending on what you are using, snow blower vs. snow plow you will need more/less weight. Depth of the snow, width of the tires, 2 link vs. 4 link chains, day of the week, time of the month, etc., etc.... Ok, I made a couple of these up....all play a part on "traction"!

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

Thats what i needed to hear Sir, My thoughts too, I'm guessing a Weight box is more for if you have a FEL, then it balances the whole rig out, Thats why we have you experts here, i'm just a Old Diesel Mechanic with some old school Wheel Horse in my blood, Thanks Buddy !

• Like 2

Sarge

I'd be leery of too much weight on a D if it's plowing snow - all that stress goes straight back to that pump coupling which is the weakest link in the chain on that model in particular . Same with crazy rear weight hanging off the 3pt - those extra length axles exert a lot of extra pressure on the internal/external wheel bearings since they use a C series rear housing with the extended axles . Everything else on that tractor is built like a Mack - clunky but bulletproof . I'd run the wheel weights , chains and maybe 125lbs of weight off the 3pt - should be more than enough to get the job done and allow a bit of tire slip instead of wrecking the pump shaft and coupling . Mine ate it's shaft and destroyed the coupling when it caught the edge of a concrete slab last winter - it's been downhill ever since . The D series can generate the biggest swing in a love/hate relationship more than any other model of WH that I know of - except maybe the GT14 .

But , when it runs and works correctly it's true beauty shines - albeit and ugly beauty , lol...

Sarge

Big_Red_Fred
8 hours ago, Sarge said:

I'd be leery of too much weight on a D if it's plowing snow - all that stress goes straight back to that pump coupling which is the weakest link in the chain on that model in particular . Same with crazy rear weight hanging off the 3pt - those extra length axles exert a lot of extra pressure on the internal/external wheel bearings since they use a C series rear housing with the extended axles . Everything else on that tractor is built like a Mack - clunky but bulletproof . I'd run the wheel weights , chains and maybe 125lbs of weight off the 3pt - should be more than enough to get the job done and allow a bit of tire slip instead of wrecking the pump shaft and coupling . Mine ate it's shaft and destroyed the coupling when it caught the edge of a concrete slab last winter - it's been downhill ever since . The D series can generate the biggest swing in a love/hate relationship more than any other model of WH that I know of - except maybe the GT14 .

But , when it runs and works correctly it's true beauty shines - albeit and ugly beauty , lol...

Sarge

I'll put the wheel weights on his D Saturday, i grabbed a few 1/2 in Carriage bolts at hardware today, 2 of 10 inch & 2 of 12 inch, i have a few old suite case weights to hang off back with sum engineering, Thanks Sarge, You Know thats what the soldiers would say to me 35 plus years ago LOL0725172041.jpg.ba749fe6948635ba398c8a5870cdf89f.jpg

Not a very good pic from 79 LOL, i need to buy some chains fast, 2 link, ebay tonight, then next year i go for my D200 in West Va i hope