Devin

Wheel Horse C175

Devin

I'm 15 bought this C175 for 50$ dont know much about riding mowers its definitely a fixerupper I bought it looking for a project because my dream job is restoring cars and I need help with this I can't get fuel from the tank to the engine I'm thinking its the fuel pump ive alresdy blown through the line and I think there was something in it but there isnt anymore and I tried starting it again and nothing I'm also wondering how expensive a original deck is (it didnt come with one) or what decks are compatible

20171024_200422.jpg

Edited by Devin
Adding text
  • Like 5

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a list of the models and clicking on one of them should take you to a parts list.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/search/models/?searchTerm=c-175+Twin+Auto

Notice in 1980 the early models used a Sundstrand hydro and the later an Eaton hydro.

There should be an ID plate on the tractor with the model and serial number on it. When we figure out what you have will link you to more.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Devin

Where would the ID plate be?

gwest_ca

Usually below the dash panel and up against the bottom of it but it moved around over the years. Sometimes on the right side and often on the left side but at the same height - bottom of the dash panel. Some where also facing the front on the left side of the same hoodstand as it is often called.

Garry

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:           Do you have spark at the plug? First you could mount a temporary tank above the engine so gravity would get fuel to the carburetor.

• Like 1

Devin

I found the ID plate it has the ID number thats it i dont know if thats what I needed and I have poured gas in the carb and it runs I think there's something wrong with the fuel pump

And I got a couple pictures of the engine and some cracks in the plastic I kinda want to know if I got a good deal on this for 50$

20171111_210242.jpg

20171111_210218.jpg

Its a 1980 or 1981 the id number is 0117KE01

It has a plastic fuel tank so I decided not to take it off and clean it before I poured gas in it and now I know that was a mistake because shining a flashlight into it I can see rust in it somehow 

Sparky

My gut says you did good only shelling out $50...but...the KT17 is notorious for issues if used on slopes or running it with the oil level not full (or slightly over full). So not knowing the engines true condition or the hydro tranny’s condition I hesitate to say you got a great deal.

But you have found the best place on the web for Wheel Horse info! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Devin

I'm not sure on the oil level anymore because it was missing the dipstick when I bought it so every turnover it shoots oil like a foot out of the dip stick pipe and ideas on fixing that issue and I put brand new 30w in it and it immediately came out black

gwest_ca

There is a good chance the original KT17 has been replaced with a M18 if we can go by the air cleaner. That is a good thing if it has. You will have to get the proper dipstick for it. Post all the numbers off the engine ID decal so we can see what you have.

Operator manual - click on the pictures

More info

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Wow, boy did you get burned!  :ychain:  if you were a little closer, I'd drive down and ease your pain by giving you $55 for it!  I think you did great.  I bought a c125 for $50 at an auction and even the auctioneer laughed at me for giving that much.  Check out my build thread under Christmas surprise.  It's going to be my son's Christmas present this year!  I do like these ugly ole black hoods!! Enjoy your purchase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aldon

First I like to fire engine and run it directly from carb using starter fluid as it allows me to narrow down fuel or spark issue as the priority. My guess is that it’s not rust in the tank. It’s the modern crud from using ethanol. So once you get it resolved, use non-ethanol fuel. Complete cleaning and defunding of fuel system is always a good idea on these older units. Pay heed to the fact that the fuel cock valves can also be clogged internally. Some have a micro screen that clogs but I have had them clog inside the valve itself. 953nut has given good advice to using independent tank using gravity feed as the gravity should/probably will feed it enough fuel to get engine running regardless of the fuel pumps health. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Love the Black Hoods!!!

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

on getting the correct amount of oil in the tractor>>>>>

1. Drain out all of the old oil

2. make sure exactly what motor you have to determine  the correct capacity of oil it takes to fill it

3. Measure out the oil and fill it. Put some kind of dip stick in that keeps the oil from shooting out and possibly you will be able to mark a "full " mark on the dip stick

4. There's your dinner!

• Thanks 1

Devin

I'm at sams club at the moment I'll post the numbers when i get home and I have started the engine I have poured gas into the carb and ran it for like 30 seconds and I have taken the fuel filter off and the gas line is bone dry I tryed turning it iver atleast 5 times before I took the inline filter out and its all dry but i have turned it over to many times and my battery is dead😖 

Devin

Is there anything that would easily identify what engine it has?

ID: 01-17KE01-16757

1510510316112-1718991392.jpg

Devin

20171112_131452.jpg

20171112_131519.jpg

And the damage

20171112_131540.jpg

20171112_131554.jpg

20171112_131536.jpg

20171112_131530.jpg

gwest_ca

Your tractor will be a 1980 model. The 0157 is the Julian build date.

Garry

• Thanks 1

Devin

Is that good or bad 😂

Sparky
3 hours ago, Devin said:

Is that good or bad 😂

Is there a tag on the motor? With the model and spec # we can tell you exactly what motor your tractor has (in case it's not the original)

• Like 1

Devin
5 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Yes i accidentally did the quote thing and it wont let me type out if this box

Its a M18 like Garry said it could be 😀

15105246230982077710511.jpg

15105247451461643261615.jpg

Edited by Devin

c-series don

If you have compressed air I would blow through the fuel line backwards till you hear the fuel bubble in the tank. Then while cranking the engine slightly pressurize the tank with the air to push the fuel to the pump. 

• Thanks 1

953 nut

The fuel pump is on the top of the engine so a full tank will help it draw a prime. May want to consider replacing it with an electric pump.

• Thanks 1

Sparky

So you have a Magnum 18.....much better than the KT17.

• Excellent 1

Devin

I have blown through the line to the tank (with  my mouth) and i saw bubbles i dont have a air compressor so I may just try to replace it with a electric pump like he said because I'm on a very small budget of like 200$ and ive soent around 75-100 so I can buy a compressor 

953 nut

Be sure to mount the pump low on the frame and wire it to a fused accessory circuit.