mrc

mower deck maintenance and upgrades

JimmyJam

Nice job! Looks awesome! :greetings-clappingyellow:

953 nut
2 hours ago, mrc said:

performed some maintenance on my son-in-laws deck.

You have a lucky son in law!       :text-coolphotos:                 Very nice job, you have added several years of longevity to the deck.

doc724

Maybe those 8 inch wheels explains why I can get a 4 inch cut on my Xi deck but barely make 3 inch on a traditional/classic deck.  Nice job on the POR coating :-)

tunahead72
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, mrc said:

... i also installed these 8 inch wheels some time back. they are reasonably priced, have a full length bearing,  hold grease very well  and wear well too. because they are 8 inch he can get a nice high cut at about 4 inches in the summer.

You mean they don't ooze grease out the zerk when they're filled? :thumbs:

Do you have a source for these wheels?

mrc

hi tunahead, what i meant was the grease stays in the bearing because the wheels have a seal at each end.  the source is the caster guy.com if i remember correctly. one word of caution. the center hole is 1/2 inch. the stock wheelhorse guage wheel center hole is smaller. 3/8 inch i think.  you have to drill the mount out to 1/2  inch and get a long bolt with a smooth shank for the axle. i think  i used 5 inch long bolts. hope this helps.  mike in mass.

• Like 1

cod

Nice looking deck. Just out of curiosity how much clearance do you have under the frame of the tractor when you use the 8" wheels on the mower deck? I've thought about larger tires all the way around to gain some height but larger wheels on the deck might be a better way to go.

Thanks - Cod

GREYGHOST

Where did you purchase the POR15 Products??

peter lena

nice looking clean up, I regularly drop my mower decks for cleaning/ scraping, I also spray them down ,underside with (  lubriplate  chain and cable spray ) I let the deck get the heat of the sun , underneath, to dry it out  and soak in the oil bath. I do that twice a year , and also leave it upside down over winter with another oil soak. my decks have zero rot or damage, I also have those wheels . think about it, the deck lives in a tough molding /dark /wet environment , why not help it live? regularly turn it over to the sun, clean the grunge out and oil soak it down , your deck will live a much longer life. I use royal purple grease on my pto needle bearings and on my deck spindles, you will notice a smoother faster turning unit. also put a flat idler on the back side of the spindle belt, no more belt wobble . always looking for  another area to tweak my  horse. pete

• Thanks 2

mrc

hi greyghost, i got the por15 products at my local carquest auto parts store. regards mike in mass.