ebinmaine

Anyone have a Linear actuator FEL? Like it or no? Why?

ebinmaine

I'm thinking of putting together a lightweight light duty Electric FEL with 2" steel square stock framework and a modified plow as the scoop.

I'm not able or super interested in building or spending the money for a heavier duty hydraulic unit at this time, for this tractor.

I don't have a welder but the angles look simple enough to plan out with wood and put on paper for the local welder dude.

I'd like to be able to scoop up a couple cubic feet of crushed rock/sand/dirt/mulch and carry it a-ways.... and dump it.

Approximately 250 pounds of material and another 60 or 80 for the steel (?)

350 Lbs actual weight to lift and I like a Big margin for error so:

Linear actuators are readily available for a C-note or so that would be adequate strength (I think).

600-ish Lbs (x2) for the sides and a single one out front for the bucket-tipper.

Comments?

Thoughts?

Things I need to consider?

953 nut

:wwp:            Check out the Johnny Bucket, that is what they use.

http://johnnyproducts.com/

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:wwp:            Check out the Johnny Bucket, that is what they use.

http://johnnyproducts.com/

That's part of where I got the idea.

Check this out:

Mounted higher so I'll still maintain my ground clearance....

I'm thinking of this same arm set-up but with a different bucket.

• Like 3

wallfish

Those actuators move pretty slow

If you're not going heavy duty anyway, how about just adding a bucket to a snow plow blade? It can be made of wood until your design is perfected then go steel if you want.

Something like this? Add an actuator for dumping it? Hydraulic lift tractor or add actuator for lift too?

:twocents-02cents:

5a0502d4d5e9a_plowbucket.jpg.aad610572b54b9a9b8ebb67fd721bc63.jpg

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

@wallfish Can you add little more design features , some of us can't read so good and lost a lot of brain cells in the 60's and 70's. Some of us weren't born with a lot of grey matter ( just ask @squonk:ROTF:)

• Haha 4

Dan693

Here's my FEL......I used a winch as the main lifting mechanism and an actuator as the bucket dump and wired it all to a 4 way joystick.

I might have a couple hundred in it and it works great.

20171102_160356.jpg

20171102_160617.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Dan693

Another pic out on my drive from the other side. I hadn't wired the joy stick yet.

Resized_20170819_135546.jpeg

Edited by Dan693
edit text
  • Like 4

wallfish
On 11/9/2017 at 9:28 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Can you add little more design features

I could but backyard yard half arssed engineering designs will cost you plenty. Would you like me to PM my PayPal account address? :ychain:

• Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

I would think a Back Yard Hammer Mechanic would be more than happy to spend hours drawing a design for a buddy. I tried to make my own drawing but the eraser kept eating holes in my one sheet of paper. Being on a strict budget I have to watch where I spend my pennies.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

I FEL with my ole Coal Shovel, does that count @elcamino/wheelhorse

ebinmaine
On 11/9/2017 at 8:38 PM, wallfish said:

Those actuators move pretty slow

If you're not going heavy duty anyway, how about just adding a bucket to a snow plow blade? It can be made of wood until your design is perfected then go steel if you want.

Something like this? Add an actuator for dumping it? Hydraulic lift tractor or add actuator for lift too?

:twocents-02cents:

5a0502d4d5e9a_plowbucket.jpg.aad610572b54b9a9b8ebb67fd721bc63.jpg

Considering we just use person-power now, I think the speed is not really a factor because it will go faster and easier than my shovel.

:)

This is what I was thinking of... plow when I need it, or bucket...

43 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

I FEL with my ole Coal Shovel, does that count @elcamino/wheelhorse

YESS !!!

That's what we do now.

I don't mind using the calories but I'm thinking a small bucket would just have a little more endurance than I do. 

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Considering we just use person-power now, I think the speed is not really a factor because it will go faster and easier than my shovel.

:)

This is what I was thinking of... plow when I need it, or bucket...

YESS !!!

That's what we do now.

I don't mind using the calories but I'm thinking a small bucket would just have a little more endurance than I do. 

That B80 FEL is still taunting you since i showed you huh, LOL

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

That B80 FEL is still taunting you since i showed you huh, LOL

Hehehe. ..

You bet it is. 

Big_Red_Fred

IMG_04671.jpg

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Big_Red_Fred said:

IMG_04671.jpg

Love it

Big_Red_Fred

If a Silver Dodge Ram pulling a Trailer pulls up out front of your home Playing I'll be home for Christmas, its your Day LOL ole buddy

ebinmaine

If a Silver Dodge Ram pulling a Trailer pulls up out front of your home Playing I'll be home for Christmas, its your Day LOL ole buddy

I'd say !!

Hahaha! 

Big_Red_Fred

I can say, the weather talk has me worried, i have a plow truck, a Good Coal Shovel LOL and a Honda 621 single stage and a 824 toro, but im still thinking its not enuf, were gonna get a Rude awakening at sum point

ebinmaine

I can say, the weather talk has me worried, i have a plow truck, a Good Coal Shovel LOL and a Honda 621 single stage and a 824 toro, but im still thinking its not enuf, were gonna get a Rude awakening at sum point

We have 3 snowblowers a 1976 Cub Cadet  826, Gardenway 1024, And a Simplicity  13-38 !

Bring on the snow! 

Sarge

All this talk of white stuff and I look out the window - it's coming down now and all my equipment is in pieces at the moment....enough talk of that , thanks...lol .

I still have my #12 grain scoop (aluminum) and a buddy with a newer Kubota mid-compact with loader/rear blade...hehe

Sarge

wallfish
21 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I would think a Back Yard Hammer Mechanic would be more than happy to spend hours drawing a design for a buddy.

Nope. Below is the kind of crap you get. A backyard hammer mechanic is better designing as he builds instead of wasting time on drawings.

But here you go, invoice sent! :)

5a08bc97ed6e8_plowbucket.jpg.87ddcf2ac2229c9724a1b6c8fdaf434f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@wallfish I knew you could provide the drawing now that I have got you thinking when are you going to get your hammer out and build one ?

I have been promised a D-250 with a Fel by @Big_Red_Fredbut I think he has been pulling my leg.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
On 11/12/2017 at 4:27 PM, wallfish said:

Nope. Below is the kind of crap you get. A backyard hammer mechanic is better designing as he builds instead of wasting time on drawings.

But here you go, invoice sent! :)

5a08bc97ed6e8_plowbucket.jpg.87ddcf2ac2229c9724a1b6c8fdaf434f.jpg

This deserves FAR more attention than it got!

• Excellent 1

Handy Don

Things to put on your consideration list:

Electric actuators:

- slow (as someone above noted) (think .5 inches per second or less -- the WH hydraulics are 3" throw and close to 3 inches per second!

- expensive for those that go faster and are for outdoor use (i.e. IP67 or IP68 ratings)

- do pull and push with similar force

- are physically longer than equivalent hydraulics

- cannot handle side forces at all (so excellent pivots are critical to avoid torquing them)

- most cannot handle impact forces much more than their push/pull force (in @wallfish's schematic above, if you ram it into a dirt pile there aren't springs absorbing that "tipping" force, it's directly "pulling" on the actuator so it'll just strip the gears in the actuator) whereas most hydraulic cylinders can handle substantial impact force above its "design load" force. 

Hydraulics:

- can have high force in small package with short throw and quick movement (yeah, there are lots of reasons why engineers love hydraulics!)

Clamshell:

- with the hinge at the top of the blade, you need at least some real force to open it when it's full so heavy structure and/or a long lever arm.

- if the sides don't extend past the blade, stuff falls out the side as soon as you start to open it

I concur with @wallfish.  This is not something you just throw together if you want something long lasting, sturdy, and easily used. YouTube is overflowing with winch-operated versions with gantries of dubious strength and buckets cut from all manner of things (I saw one cut out of a filing cabinet). Many have ropes and wires and look like Red Green discards. There are a few gems in there, built by folks with craft and cleverness.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Excellent 1