Kenneth R Cluley

Charger 12 wiring

Kenneth R Cluley

Replacing wiring on 1969 Charger 12 with breakerless ignition. Kohler engine Manual wiring diagram shows 22ohm resistor in wire from key switch to ignition coil.This is not in existing wiring or anywhere on tractor that I can locate. Anyone familiar with this resistor, it's location or if absolutely necessary. If I need one any ideas where to purchase? Thanks, Ken.

• Confused 1

953 nut
22 minutes ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

breakerless ignition. Kohler engine Manual wiring diagram shows 22ohm resistor in wire from key switch to ignition coil.

:WRS:       I think you may be looking at the wiring for a model with battery ignition rather than the breakerless. On the battery ignition Kohler ignition coils have the resistor built into the coil. Here is the manual for your tractor which includes a wiring diagram.

Kenneth R Cluley

I am familiar with that manual, the Kohler engine owners manual on page 9 references the wiring for K301. Figure 7 on page 9 is what I was referring to.  

953 nut

Not sure what Kohler manual you have, can you post a copy of the page you are asking about.

Ignition systems begin on page 20, Section 5.4 of this manual.

Kenneth R Cluley

That manual shows the same diagram on page 7.9 figure 7-11. 

gwest_ca

The breakerless ignition is the same as magneto ignition and the ignition wire to the switch just grounds the ignition to shut it off. I think they added the resistor to limit the current in case battery voltage entered the circuit. We know that instantly burns the light gauge wire in the coil primary circuit. Hard to believe 22 ohm is enough to protect it but Kohler should know.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
16 minutes ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

That manual shows the same diagram on page 7.9 figure 7-11. 

I see the resistor you are referring to. I have a couple of Kohler engines with the breakerless system and have never had a problem with them. As @gwest_ca said the resistor could be acting like a fuse. If so it would probably be a very low wattage resistor so it would blow out with minimal currant flow. Perhaps @Aldon or @pfrederi can help out here.

Kenneth R Cluley

What wattage do you think it should be? I think only available in 10 watt max at that rating

953 nut

I have no idea what wattage would be safe, but 10 watts would be 0.8 +/- amps at 12 volts and I am sure that would kill the coil in the ignition system. Don't know if Wheel Horse ever used the resister.

pfrederi

Concept was to protect the ignition coil if somehow current leaked into the circuit back up in the ignition switch (dirty wet contacts??).  Don't have one in any of my breakerless no problem so far.

Kohler says 22 ohm 1/2 watt

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1