RJC1965

44 inch 2 Stage snowthrower missing Spring

RJC1965

My new to me snowblower is missing a few things

1. Anti Sway Bar 

2. Belt guard 

3. Spring that goes from the lift rod to the attachment bar This is on a 520H.

Can someone tell me how long this spring is and if it’s really heavy duty  maybe even a picture of it. I will try to get one from my local hardware store or Fleet Farm.

As for the  sway bar I see that a few people on here have made their own, could somebody tell me about what size the bar is and what the steel thicknesses they used. I think I can get a piece of steel, heat it and bend it and then just attach a wheel to it. I found a wheels 2 inches round made out of a hard rubber I could purchase from Menards and just take it apart and then mounted it to bar so it  touches the side of the blower to keep it straight. 

The rod that holds the bar that turns the  blower shoot is very loose it’s hooked up to the lift bar with a cotter pin should be using a steel pin instead. And is there an insert for were the  Chut handle slides through the bar? looks like there could be some kind of a bushing their at one time 

One last thing is there any place online where some of the stuff can be purchased. My local Toro dealer doesn’t have anything available sorry for the long post thanks in advance  for all your help.

GlenPettit

Those Springs are still available, same a is used on rear tillers:     (see the Venders section. Glen Pettit Restoration Parts )

(exact specifications are in there also).

5a04e498f3be7_IMG_0056_zps70267e83copy.jpg.5639f0f80d99b5d252c0dcc44fff0f41.jpg

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 1

RJC1965

I will look in the Vendor selection area I do have a tiller  which  I have never put on the tractor I will have to check and see what Springs I have with it thank you

WVHillbilly520H

I wouldn't worry about the belt I didn't get mine either and it doesn't affect the use of the blower (kinda like the mower PTO belt guard) I didn't even get the sway bar mount at first so I borrowed one and made my own without the guard attachment (easier to put the belt on) as the hole in the chute rotator handle support is oversize so you can get the rod in easier I made a tab to move it closer so I wasn't banging my hand on the cab door, and yes it's the same spring as the assist spring for the tillers or single stage thrower, Jeff.

IMAG1767.jpg

IMAG1708.jpg

IMAG1702.jpg

IMAG2507.jpg

• Like 1

lynnmor

I think he might be talking about the spring that is underneath and is horizontal.  Let me know if that is what needs measured.

RJC1965

Yes Lynnmor it is the one that is underneath and hooks up to the lifting rod. I do have the spring for the front of the blower as well as the small spring that puts tension on the  pulley assembly. Is the spring in the front the same as the one that goes underneath.  Thank you Rod 

WVH thank you for the pictures I did see an old post regarding the anti sway bar and It showed the one you made. How big of a wheel did you mount on the bar. I like your modifications for the chute rod what did you use to off set it I can not tell by the picture and did you make yours longer it looks like you have  an extension on it. 

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, RJC1965 said:

WVH thank you for the pictures I did see an old post regarding the anti sway bar and It showed the one you made. How big of a wheel did you mount on the bar. I like your modifications for the chute rod what did you use to off set it I can not tell by the picture and did you make yours longer it looks like you have  an extension on it. 

Yes I made a rod extension (WH actually made a kit) so it comes back into the cab, the other piece is 1/4" thick by 3/4" wide 2-3" long with 3/8" holes drilled in both ends and bolted to the rod support really easy to make I'll get some close up pics later, Jeff.      And the long spring is actually for the belt tension

1510319576133278375285.jpg

15103196051901646263056.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
Add pictures
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I took a few more pics...16" OAL 1" diameter and probably 1/8" wire thickness.

IMAG3690.jpg

IMAG3692.jpg

IMAG3693.jpg

IMAG3694.jpg

IMAG3695.jpg

cleat

There is also a spring attachment point on the lower lift rod as well but I have never seen one used there.

#40 in the attached diagram.

Wheel horse snow blower parts manual.pdf

Possibly for a machine with manual lift ?

Mine are all hydraulic lift so no spring required.

Belt tension spring and the vertical spring as shown in the above pictures are required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RJC1965

WVH thank you for the pictures and measurement on the springs. It looks like I am set as Cleat said the spring I was missing or so thought is not used on the Hydro machines it was spring number 40. 

I love over the extension on the chute handle I am going to make one as the stock one seems a little short. 

WVH what did you use for the wheel part on the anti Sway bar and dose it touch the side of the blower. 

Thanks to everyone for you’re help. 

WVHillbilly520H
36 minutes ago, RJC1965 said:

I love over the extension on the chute handle I am going to make one as the stock one seems a little short. 

WVH what did you use for the wheel part on the anti Sway bar and dose it touch the side of the blower. 

Thanks to everyone for you’re help. 

The sway bar is factory WH ,the piece I was missing was the frame mount sorry, but to answer the next part it should just touch to 1/16" clearance needs a little play as it moves up/down and moving over unlevel surfaces, it's really there just to keep it from getting really out of alignment and possibly unhitching and bending things up.