Elkskin's mower junkyard

well this sucks

Elkskin's mower junkyard

last year we bought a brand new farm and fleet battery for dads 1972 compact 8e. well went out today to start it and wont turn over battery completely dead. its sat for a month or 2 since last run. but it has a farm and fleet battery in it which i am not a fan of. i have had good luck with everstarts from walmart. and i have a feeling thats whats going back into this sears.

Ed Kennell

Will the battery take a charge?   May have a small power drain in the wiring or a switch.    :confusion-shrug:

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard
7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Will the battery take a charge?   May have a small power drain in the wiring or a switch.    :confusion-shrug:

its taking forever to charge how dead it was. anything is possible last battery that was in it was 5 years old when it went

Daddy Don

I have battery maintainers on all my batteries . It just keeps a small charge on them without over charging them. Well worth the money. 

Edited by Daddy Don
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Daddy Don said:

I have battery maintainers on all my batteries . It just keeps a small charge on them without over charging them. Well worth the money. 

Me too.

Agreed.

• Like 1

Adams94
1 hour ago, Daddy Don said:

These work good as long as they are good, the cheaper ones I have seen them malfunction and over charge the batteries, ruining them

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

I just ordered 4 Daltran  battery tender jr.

I had some cheep harbor freight battery trickle chargers and one cooked almost 1/2 the water out of my 4 wheeler battery. Refilled with distilled water and slow charged it and it's ok. I won't use a cheep off brand any more tractor batterys are half the cost of a 4 wheeler  battery. I actually broke my own law not to use cheep unrated Chinese electronics .

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard

i have used a maintainer once but this tractor usually sits between uses and never has problems most its used is wintertime and once in a while during summer months and maybe once in spring or so.

i do miss dad though

heres a video from a couple years ago. the ticking in engine i have no clue what it is i been through it dont see any problems. i am betting its part of stater hitting flywheel

Also i done the wiring on that sears. it does not have a powerful stater in it. just a small 3 amp which i may get the bigger one later on for it.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I couldn't believe the power of distilled water in a weak battery... until I spent 98 cents a piece for 4 gallons to keep in the shop.  I topped off a battery that would loose charge after a day and it's been sitting a week or two and will fire up my truck at any notice.  98 cents is better than 98 dollars in this case.

• Like 5

BaySide1

If a dead/depleted battery freezes you will end up replacing it most of the time.

In your case, put a load tester on it and see if you have a dead cell

ClassicTractorProfessor

I feel your pain...this has been a bad year for batteries around here...had to replace the truck battery in the RV the start of the summer, now need to replace the house battery. Then had to replace the battery in my pickup...now need to put a new battery in the C125 and the 2n

Elkskin's mower junkyard

well today i went to start my 1972 sears ss15 and well battery was almost dead. had to charge it up.  so far though the compact 8e is holding charge. i did pickup a new everstart just incase. i will have the farm and fleet battery tested thurseday or friday at local shop