Sign in to follow this  
DwellingBoar

K301 not starting

DwellingBoar

Hey, earlier i was working on my motor because and it wouldn't start because it wasn't getting any spark. so i replaced the points and am now getting spark at the spark plug. We cleaned out the fuel bowl, and put on a new fuel filter. I was wondering what you guys might think what it is, why it won't start? Is it maybe the carburetor??? It usually isn't this frustrating to get them started is it?

WHC-125

Is it getting gas? The float might be stuck closed

buckrancher

will it fire if you squirt some gas in the carb when you crank the motor over.

if it does then the problem could be the fuel pump not working

:thumbs:

DwellingBoar

so it could be either the float or the fuel pump that's something to try. Would anyone know why the points would be burning?

Rideawaysenior

Fuel supply sounds like a good place to start. I've had some fuel pumps that wouldn't pump unless I primed them. Once wet again, they were ok. The bowl float could also present similar symptoms. Burning points is a bit of a conundrum. I am wondering if perhaps the gap is improperly set. What exactly is burning? Do you see some charing on the contacts? Or are they heating up so much that the insulation on the wire is melting. If thats the case, I am wondering if maybe you have the poles reversed on the coil causing it to ground out.

Iceboy133

Points could be burning due to a bad condensor or the wrong type of coil(no internal resistor). Make sure that you are getting a consistent spark. My 301 showed spark but it went away after one or two revolutions. It turned out to be a bad ignition switch.

DwellingBoar

And the float is in the carburetor right? Then do you think the gas lines could be clogged?

Buzz

The first thing you need to do is download this manual and read through the section on fuel systems so you can see what you're working on:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2379.pdf

The first thing I'd do is put a brand new spark plug in. Then I'd remove the air breather/air filter. Then while trying to start the engine spray a little carburetor cleaner into the carburetor. If it starts, runs for a few seconds then stalls, you probably need to work on the fuel system. If it makes no attempt to start your problem is probably the ignition system. And yes it can sometimes be very frustrating trying to get one going :thumbs:

Keith S

I ran mine out of gas and having refilled the tank it wouldn't start.

Put some gas down the plug hole and it fired briefly. Repeated this about five times, and it started, must have been that the pump wouldn't prime on the starter.

Never ran it out of gas since!!! :thumbs: