AlexR

K301 leaking oil out of head.

AlexR

Yes this is very strange and I can't figure it out. I have another thread in the wheelhorse tractors but.. figured I should post this here. 

So I had the engine apart and the intake valve spring was broken I replaced the spring and cleaned the top of the engine and installed a new headgasket mowed yesterday ran fine mowed today and I noticed the oil on the head. 

The oil level is fine and same as it was when I put new oil in. And it only smokes when I rev it up its not like the engine smokes a lot.

:Edit: head pic is when I had it apart and cleaned it

20171107_180914.jpg

20171107_180929.jpg

20171026_202154.jpg

Edited by AlexC120

BOB ELLISON

I would check the breather filter in front of the valve cover.you might have put it on wrong. They must be put on in the right order. Or it could be a crank in the head, leaking head gasket,or broken ring, if it just started after you replaced the valve spring it's probably the breather pluged.

Others will be along with input.

• Like 3

AlexR

I checked the head bolts and they are not at the 25ft-lbs I had set them at so I probably should do that twice. 

Can oil come up the head bolt holes?

BOB ELLISON

The gasket should stop oil.

You need to get the engine hot then torque them again in order.

Did you make sure the head wasn't warped and was perfectly flat before you torque the head ??

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

BOB ELLISON

You may want to read this post.

If you go to main page and do a search  and look for oil leak on head or something like that you will find what others did

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/59958-k-341-head-leaking-oil/?tab=comments#comment-553282

• Like 2

AlexR

I double checked the breather to make sure but yeah I did assemble it correctly.

Pretty sure its that I didn't tighten it after I ran it the first time so I will see if that fixes it. 

• Like 1

ericj

clean it off and see if returns

eric j

• Like 1

MalMac

Should not have that much oil, check for stuck or broke ring.

953 nut

Head gasket should be hot torqued after it has been operated at full temperature for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

All of the above Alex... I had a K241 blowing like that but after rechecking head bolts most took a full turn or better to reseat them. Oil cannot come up the head bolt holes unless something is not right but oil or antiseize or preference choice of metal to metal lube should be used to help properly torque them.

Head bolt torqueing is an art form in itself and the only way I learned it was trial and error and experience.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

HOLY bore polishing going on there.........

That cylinder is like a mirror that you can see the reflection of STD in it.  The engine is using oil and being oil is not very compressible, it is blowing our the head gasket / bolt hole.  Address the oil buring by using a dingle ball hone, and a set of rings.  

• Like 1