JoeliusZ28

Tire choice for snow removal on asphalt (no chains)? 414-8

RJC1965

I used the Terra Chains made from rubber on my concrete/ brick paver stone and on the gravel driveway and they work great. I am going to but a pair for my 520. I currently have them on a Green Machine it’s a little 100 serirs LA 125 in my humble opinion it should not be used to snowblowing its to lite weight looking forward to using the 520 with the 2 stage for the first time heck the 2 stage blower weighs about as much as the LA125 

• Like 1

lynnmor

The rubber chains do indeed tilt a bit and that lifts the leading edge, increasing bite. I have found that it is almost impossible to make them so tight that the tilting doesn’t happen.  I reduce the air pressure to no more than two pounds, then install the chains in the tightest link possible and finally inflate to normal pressure.  The strap still tilts a bit and works fine.  The manufacturer instructed me to do it that way.

Since I replaced the original two ply rounded tires with four ply tires with rather square corners, the ride is really nasty.  I just might double the number of straps.  I was trying to come up with a zigzag arrangement to help with side traction as well as smooth the ride, but I haven’t invented that yet.

• Excellent 1

JoeliusZ28

Good tips here guys thank you!  It looks like i could convert the set to 2-link for not much cost so I'll have to look into that.

JoeliusZ28

Got the new chains installed last weekend and getting the first snow of the season today here in Michigan - if we get more than a couple inches I might get to try it out!  I think I am leaning towards converting to a 4-link eventually but I will see how it does first.  I can already tell they are going to make a huge difference.

IMG_2531.JPG

• Like 1

oldredrider

I've been running rubber chains for about 5 years now. As far as traction, I can't tell any difference from the steel chains. 

All plowing is level or slight grade. Haven't felt any side slip at all. 

Granted, this is Virginia not Michigan winters! 

The greatest advantage over steel chains is NO marking on pavement so no frequent seal coating to hide chain marks. 

I run them on a GT-14 with limited slip rear and 'lots" of extra weight. Steel chains made my driveway look like a drag strip running bulldozers. Love the rubber chains and so does the wife!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

She looks ready for the big snow.   I think you will be surprised at the traction you have on the pavement.

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, oldredrider said:

a drag strip running bulldozers

Sounds interesting... Have a lot o' those down there? :ychain:

• Haha 1

Sarge

Running steel chains keeps me moving , and gives a great excuse not to do the high brow folks in town that are so protective of their perfectly coated driveways . I get it , it does look nice but put any water on the stuff and it becomes a skating rink so I prefer to avoid the sealers . I'd rather have one ground and re-topped with fine coat instead of wasting the money on the seal coating . In all the years of working construction I still prefer good 'ol concrete over that black junk - just come to Illinois and see the results of using the stuff as a nice looking band-aid for the last 20yrs , nothing left underneath now for a bed and resurfacing lasts at most 2yrs .

Only time I like asphalt is when we are grinding it completely off and pouring new concrete...lol .

I wonder , how long before someone comes up with a better multi-pattern rubber tire chain ? If that could be done somehow in a diamond pattern I'd imagine they would work really well .

Sarge

oldredrider
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Sounds interesting... Have a lot o' those down there? :ychain:

It's not just our tractors that are RED!!!

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

I actually believe the rubber chains have better traction than the steel chains on a hard paved surface.  My 520 with the 2 link Vee Bar chains will not climb my steep paved driveway even where the snow has been cleared.  When the snow is too deep to plow and I have to use the blower, I blow down the drive only and deadhead back up through the grass.

With the rubber chains on the 312, I can actually plow up and down the drive.   

In the grass , on a stone road, or a rough surface, or on Ice,  the  steel chains are better, but on a hard smooth surface, IMO  rubber has more traction then steel.

I know @lynnmor has experienced side slipping with the rubber chains, so this may be another factor in deciding what is best for a particular situation.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

JoeliusZ28

These things did awesome!!!  You guys were aboslutely right about how they "flip up" into a scoop when you start spinning.  It was like having on demand paddle tires.  It might stop and spin for a second but once both sides caught it would take right off again.  Never got stuck one time yesterday during 2 hours of plowing the 10-12" of snow here in SE Michigan.  

IMG_2571.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2