cod

recycler deck mod question

cod

Anyone tried adding a couple of holes around the spindles to let the air under the deck through?  It seems to me that with the blades spinning there is a certain amount of lift created and the closed nature of the recycler housing would lend itself to creating an over pressure under the deck that would reduce the ability of the deck to mulch unless you were going very slowly.  Years ago I had a Poulan(sp) mower and the deck looked more like two upside down fruit cake tins with slots around the spindles.  It was a side discharge but there was a cover you could install for mulching and this rig vaporized leaves.  I can only assume that the slots allowed the air to flow upwards and kept whatever was under the deck in contact with the blades.  The "kickers" on the WH recycler are an attempt to direct objects into the blades but I'm wondering if removing them, increasing the inner hole diameter (the one in the plate the kickers are attached to) and some 1/2" or 3/4" holes around the spindles would improve the performance.

Thoughts?

Cod

• Confused 2

953 nut

Seems to me it would just cause a lot of dust to circulate upward and on you.

cod
21 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Seems to me it would just cause a lot of dust to circulate upward and on you.

Didn't think of that but it's a good point as the shape of the WH deck is very different from the Poulan.

If I wasn't so cheap, I should have picked up a recycler that was on C'list a couple of weeks ago and tried it out.

Cod

• Like 2