richmondred01

Front AG tires?

richmondred01

I have a pair front AG tires and also front turf tires. I was wondering the thoughts and opinions of the group which I should use for pushing Snow. 

Ive never used the front AG tires to push snow and was wondering if any one else had.

pros/cons?

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

pfrederi

I  like to use turfs with roller chain around them.  Digs in to hard packed snow ice better than ags alone would.  Ags with chains would be good also.  But when we get snow it tends to last so it gets packed down and icy .  Down where you are it may melt off completely between storms so chains not such a big deal.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Just a thought, how about reversing the direction (swapped left to right) of the AGs on the front as they are not driven that may help more for steering traction :think: :confusion-shrug:...Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

520hC-120

With the more fluffy and wet not frozen snow it will do you better because it will grab when you want to turn and won’t slip like the turf tires would. My 520H has turfs and I try to turn sometimes and it just slides.

• Like 1

hondagod64

Last year I had turf tires on my 312-8 and was too much slipping on turns when plowing so I switched to lug tires and was much better in traction but chains would be best on all 4.

GlenPettit

Added weight on the front would be the first thing I'ld do.    I have exactly the same tires as you do on the front.

(1)  liquid in the tires  (Rim-guard is best, anti-freeze, windshield washer . . . ),

(2)  weight on the tires  (like you have on the back ones),

(3)  weight hanging in front or on the front axle  (chains, barbell, . . . ).

With the blade down pushing, the front-end is actually very light, you need the extra weight up there for steering control,

not on the 'A' frame of the plow but on the tractor but so the wheels are held down on the ground better.  Your bar-lugs or

chains will greatly reduce side-slippage with the added weight to hold them down.      Good Luck & have fun this Winter . . .

Glen

• Like 5

953 nut
19 hours ago, pfrederi said:

where you are it may melt off completely between storms so chains not such a big deal

As Paul said, the majority of our snow falls when the temperature is only a couple of degrees below freezing and once plowed the driveway (paved) will melt off and dry once the sun gets to it. I have found that the tri ribs work best.

Image result for tri rib tires

• Like 2

ri702bill

Red:

I run Ag's in the front, filled and wheel weights. Better steering than turf tires.

P1010325.JPG

P1010326-1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

richmondred01

Seems that the general idea is that the AG tires may be better. Looks like I'll try the AG tires. 

dells68
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Red:

I run Ag's in the front, filled and wheel weights. Better steering than turf tires.

P1010325.JPG

P1010326-1.jpg

I'm really digging the look of your tractor!  That is one sweet ride.  What about swapping out those turfs on the back for ags?  She'd look mean!

On 11/5/2017 at 3:41 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Just a thought, how about reversing the direction (swapped left to right) of the AGs on the front as they are not driven that may help more for steering traction :think: :confusion-shrug:...Jeff.

I was thinking the same thing Jeff.  Look at farm equipment that is ground driven, when using ags they are turned backwards to bite in better.  Seems the same principal would apply to our tractors.

• Thanks 1

Sarge

I run loaded ags/weights on front and rear on two tractors - they never slip . The big D also has ags all around , rear weights and just so much front end weight stock it never slips either - not to mention they look just plain mean...

Sarge

Deadguy

I have reversed loaded ags on the front of one of mine, and it turns with much more grip on all surfaces than the turfs ever did.

• Like 3

ri702bill

Dells:

I did have a wide pair of ag's on the back, but was disappointed with their performance - those are ice chains on the turf tires - great grip.

P1010321.JPG

P1010323.JPG

• Like 1

Sarge

RV antifreeze in all 4 front/rear ags , chains on the rear (run 'em year round) and no spinning issues . More traction than the frame can handle for sure...broke the 1277 but so far the 16Auto is holding up fine .

Sarge

445FEBronco

I have a few sets of titan three ribs, they look much like the old Ford 8N 19X4 tires. They steer nice in the slop and dirt and do not pull sideways when plowing.

• Like 1

richmondred01

I put the ags on. I will see how they do. 

dells68
On 11/15/2017 at 12:41 PM, ri702bill said:

Dells:

I did have a wide pair of ag's on the back, but was disappointed with their performance - those are ice chains on the turf tires - great grip.

P1010321.JPG

P1010323.JPG

I understand.  But I've got to tell you - that's one really nice looking tractor with the ags.  I've always thought they give our tractors that big tractor look!

• Like 4

Sarge

The dump site where we're allowed to get rid of yard waste is 3/4 mile away - and at times is quite muddy . Hauling out the Agrifab mow-n-vac yesterday to dump the leaves/grass out was interesting - the whole area out there was full of mud . The front/rear ags and rear chains did fine - had to drag another guy's CC mower out pulling a very small trailer of debris , the Horse never spun a wheel .

Sarge

• Like 3