grinchsr

314H verses 2- Stage blower

grinchsr

Picked up a WH 2 stage blower recently to put on a 520 but now thinking about sticking it on a 314.  Will there be enough power?

c-series don

I really think that depends on how deep the snow is and how greedy you get. I have 44" on a 417-A and I love it! 

• Like 1

stevebo

Ray-

I think it should be fine on the 314. You may have to go a little slower in the deeper stuff. 

• Like 2

grinchsr

THANKS for the fast answers gentleman.  I normally creep along with my single stage anyway so going slow will be no problem.  Hell I am old so slow is a daily event!!

• Haha 3

squonk

I'd be more worried about lifting that beast with the manual lift as opposed to hyd. 

MalMac

One thing to remember is that hydro on the 314 will take 2 or 3 hp’s away before you even add the 2 stage. That blower was mainly designed for the 520. Even though the 314 will run it, you will be tasking that motor the whole time your running it. It will put a lot of wear and tear on it. Also that 2 stage is designed and meant for big snows. It works best with big snows. Big snows translate to more hp’s. Yes you can put it on a 314, but I would not suggest it.

• Like 2

squonk

What was wrong with the single tall shoot? I have one and it throws snow as far as I need it to.

• Like 1

lynnmor
27 minutes ago, squonk said:

What was wrong with the single tall shoot? I have one and it throws snow as far as I need it to.

I have both the single and the two stage that I use on 520's.  Both have minor advantages and disadvantages, but I can see no huge difference in performance.  Wet, heavy snow will really tax a 14 HP, I have worked 20 HP to the limit with either blower.

• Like 3

grinchsr

Nothing wrong with the single at all I love it.  I picked up a 520 with a KT17 and the 2 stage attached.  Was thinking about making it my plow machine.  

ericj

i have a 2 stage on a 520-H, if you have a good running 520, put the blower on it. it will handle it much better then a 14 hp ever would. would you pull a 10000 lb enclosed trailer with a little pickup ? while it may do it it's better and safer to use a 3/4 ton truck to pull it. You state that you want the 520 to plow with, it would do a great job plowing but a plow don't require horse power the blower does. good luck

eric j

• Like 1

grinchsr

Point taken Eric.  Looks like I have to buy another 520  LOL.  I have a better idea.  I am going to buy Stevebo's 520HC but don't tell him :):)

• Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H

The guy I bought my 2stage from ran it on a 314-8 then a 315-8 and said he never had any problems blowing 18"+ snow falls with it, and with the helper spring wasn't that bad lifting it, but yes the twin cylinder Onan didn't seem to mind it in 2'+ a couple winters ago, and another one I missed before I got mine was on a C160 with manual lift, low range 1st or 2nd should keep chugging/chucking along, Jeff.

IMAG0831.jpg

• Like 2

grinchsr

Now that's a good looking C160.  Thanks for the info

• Like 1

ericj
7 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The guy I bought my 2stage from ran it on a 314-8 then a 315-8 and said he never had any problems blowing 18"+ snow falls with it, and with the helper spring wasn't that bad lifting it, but yes the twin cylinder Onan didn't seem to mind it in 2'+ a couple winters ago, and another one I missed before I got mine was on a C160 with manual lift, low range 1st or 2nd should keep chugging/chucking along, Jeff.

I don't doubt s 14 hp 8 speed would do the job, but your asking a lot of it, like stated above by someone a hydro requires at least 2 horse power to run. if you had no other tractor I would advise you to try and see how it does, BUT if you have a more suitable tractor to put it on why not save yourself a lot of aggravation and put it on the more suitable machine. 

I personally would not put mine on anything less then 16 hp. I feel fairly confident that an 16 hp onan would get it done and pretty sure that a K341 would also do it. I've only ever owned one K341 and never really worked it that hard, but from what everyone on here say it should do it. the KT17 should be able to do it also, and possibly a Briggs 18 hp or more

eric j

• Like 1

Dennys502

I bought one for the apartment complex I worked for part time.

It was a 312-8  and worked just fine. It went through the deep stuff easily but just like any blower the wet stuff was hard to work with.

• Like 1

ericj
7 hours ago, Dennys502 said:

I bought one for the apartment complex I worked for part time.

It was a 312-8  and worked just fine. It went through the deep stuff easily but just like any blower the wet stuff was hard to work with.

that's where the higher horse power tractors excel with any blower and hence my recommendation for at least a 16 hp tractor  

eric j