Duramax7man7

How important is the use of the 520 braking system?

Duramax7man7

I've been looking at my 520's and I don't really use the brake at all because of the hydro motion control. 

I also was in the midst of thinking about a major upgrade to these units that I think that everyone would dig greatly and it consists of either using the brake drum itself or welding something to the rear side of it but it seems the brake pivot arm is currently in the way. 

How detrimental is this feature? I may be able to route it differently though. 

DougC

I use my park brake all the time on both my 520H's They are a very important safety feature for me. I have lots of hills and am on and off the tractors on all different terrains....

I would be very interested in learning more about the mods. you are considering however......:)

• Like 3

Jerry77

Without a brake shoe, your horse will roll on a hill with the engine off or on and the motion control in the locked or unlocked position - I think - at least my 516/1100 does.The lock on the motion control engages the brake assembly.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

cleat

Whenever I get off of any of my 520's while they are running, I always lock on the brake.

Hate to see one roll away.

I have Matt's foot controls on all of them and they do a great job of returning to neutral but why risk it.

My little 17-44HXL has a factory foot control and never moves on it's own but I lock it's parking brake on anyways while it is running and I am off of it.

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Okay. I will have to see if I can make some room. I will be upgrading the frame on the 520 to start by replacing the 2x2 angle iron with some beefier more "TRACTOR" like materials. ;)

Looks like things will need a revamp on placement for sure. I'm checking off a few things in advance in preparation. It may take me a bit to find the parts but I'm on the hunt daily. I have found one of the two major components for dirt cheap too. Hoping to find the other half the same way. 

Time will tell. The suspense is killing, but also driving me. 

• Confused 1

953 nut
16 hours ago, Mastiffman said:

thinking about a major upgrade to these units that I think that everyone would dig greatly

:wwp:                More information please.

Duramax7man7

Oh you know I'll be posting them!

I'm a photo farmer. ;)