Big_Red_Fred

D180

Big_Red_Fred

What motor is in a D180 ? I spoke to a man that has a Non running 1 with a plow & deck, some of you may have seen it on Ebay for 1900, now 1800, been sitting outdoors of course since spring, what do you think a good offer is on a Non running engine ? I hate to buy it & wind up with a POS engine, Let me know ur thoughts, I was just going for a complete plow , he wants every thing gone, Thanks Guy's ! BRF

Sparky

If it's original it's a Kohler.

But a non-running D-180 for close to 2K!!!! Ouch! I don't even need to see pics to know that one is overpriced. Having no way to verify that the hydro tranny is good is almost a deal killer.

In my opinion anyway 🤔

• Like 4

pacer

Yep, the motor is a Kohler twin 18hp and if in good condition is a BEAR!! But, nonrunning and in the D series for 1800 .... uh-uh. Parts for the engine are scarce and if the hyd drive has probs then youve got a a monster headache. The steering can also be a prob - tho at least it can be fixed.

Mind you, the D is a hellava tractor in decent running condition, but even then it would need to be especially nice to get in that price range.

• Like 2

"D"- Man

Fred,  I don't even need to see pics to know that one is underpriced, or at least very reasonable, considering it is: 1.) offered as a make offer, 2.) in PA {closer to you than to me in OH} 2.) it is probably a D-200 if the tank, deluxe seat, and engine are all original 3.) it is listed with a plow, deck, has a 3 - point hitch. and PTO, 4.) equipt w/ turning brakes 5.) rear tire chains and states that the hydro worked fine when ran last. I have purchased 2 - 18 Automatics. a D-180 and a D-200, just parting the package out could double your money.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
6 hours ago, "D"- Man said:

Fred,  I don't even need to see pics to know that one is underpriced, or at least very reasonable, considering it is: 1.) offered as a make offer, 2.) in PA {closer to you than to me in OH} 2.) it is probably a D-200 if the tank, deluxe seat, and engine are all original 3.) it is listed with a plow, deck, has a 3 - point hitch. and PTO, 4.) equipt w/ turning brakes 5.) rear tire chains and states that the hydro worked fine when ran last. I have purchased 2 - 18 Automatics. a D-180 and a D-200, just parting the package out could double your money.

I'm heading out to get the dirt blade for my son, its a 4 hour ride, under Pittsburgh off I70, he said when i get there to make a offer on every thing, he wants it gone, i thought the dash looked like my sons 200 ? I know i can get it running, if i get dirt cheap ill pass out LOL, Its just the ride & arthritis hahaha, 

8 hours ago, Sparky said:

If it's original it's a Kohler.

But a non-running D-180 for close to 2K!!!! Ouch! I don't even need to see pics to know that one is overpriced. Having no way to verify that the hydro tranny is good is almost a deal killer.

In my opinion anyway 🤔

All in All Sparky, i'm gonna grab the plow, its all there, that was the original trip, i offered 150 for plow & he said yes. My son has the 200 at his place, wants a plow for his lane at farm, his Green Machine is down LOL, Dad has to Diagnose , i'm thinking lift pump for fuel if it has one, cant get fuel to injectors he said. A Dad's work is never done !

Big_Red_Fred

I will post pics when i get home, here's my Son on his 200, his Butt is glued to the seat every time i go there ! :wh: Nut Bag LOL1029171057.jpg.c556c25281e9a0ac2a29b646aa3a23fa.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

! :wh: Nut Bag LOL1029171057.jpg.c556c25281e9a0ac2a29b646aa3a23fa.jpg

There's a phrase that could describe more than a few of us.....

:ROTF:

• Like 1

a.dumont

My father in law paid $1,000 for a non-running 18 Auto (what became the D-180 the following model year). He put some time into it before "gifting" it to me. I've thrown $350 into it to get it running. Still dealing with some adjustments, but it starts and runs just fine. That said, I personally would not pay over $800 for a non-running model if NEEDING something to cut grass and use. If you are a collector, looking for a project, or a full resto... then I could see paying more.

• Like 2

dells68

Let us know what you find Fred.  I looked at it on eBay and honestly, I'm afraid it is pretty rough with just a newer coat of paint.  I saw several go to $500 to $750ish at the Charlottesville auction and some of them looked a lot better.  Maybe I'm wrong, hope I am!

• Like 4

ohiofarmer

image.png.c5157dca01495e959b2b459c405be0a2.pngimage.png.b1490cfe4e6d937fac4f033fc6c518e1.png

$800  asking price. Has three point hitch. Runs drives, Hyd works cleveland ohio area

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

Sarge

Nearly everything on a D is unique other than the pump and rear hydraulic motor - it is the same as the C-series but it is configured in a divorced setup with a set of steel lines and flat steel manifolds that run between the pump and motor , the pump is driven directly off the engine . They are not fun to work on - it is highly cramped and the entire tractor is built around that pump . Now , that said - the engine is fairly easy to pull and it's a fairly bulletproof K-482 Kohler twin opposed with an oil pump - it is a very stout engine for it's rating (highly underrated) . I paid $75 for mine in non-running condition - but a lot of stuff had issues and was worn badly - especially the front axle . Early models up to ''75 had used 3/4" spindles on the wheels/steering and wore out easily . The 56" blade that came with it was mangled badly - but I'm a welder and a mechanic so everything got repaired/replaced . Tires are much bigger on this model and not cheap , either - there's a lot to consider and for what they are asking that thing better be like new with few issues for that price , which I doubt . The pump and the coupling between it and the flywheel side of the engine is highly prone to stripping the splined teeth - that alone cost me several hundred dollars to upgrade it to a used/good pump , have a key way cut in it's shaft and modify the cast coupling for a key , but it should not fail again . I rebuilt the Ross steering box for about $60 - easy enough to do as long as the worm gear isn't damaged or just worn out , which can happen . I'm knocking on nearly $1,000 into it now and haven't touched any paint or decals - that's just in hard parts and machine work . SO , buyer beware...

I will say this , when the run they are an animal but they still have some limitations - mostly being that pump setup and the rear axle and especially the pre-'75 differential issues . Using the C-series rear hydro unit and longer axles to make it work made them weaker than a C due to the added stress when they made it wider - it should have been a heavier unit all-around .

• Like 4

Big_Red_Fred

Well, i didnt make it yet To Burgettstown Pa, i went west but North west of there to Washington Pa to Collector Ricks House & picked up a Plow for Farmer Alex's D, Blade Rusty from sitting out doors for 43 years, but ill clean it up & some Fabricating a Handle for Turning blade, Ericj said i can use his to Fab 1 up, Trying Next Sunday Early for that other place with the D, Its a D200, not a D180 Good Eye Ericj ! Evidently the man has no clue what it is, i will make a Offer, but grabbing that plow too before i make the offer, heres a pick of the plow i brought home & a pic of that D200 below Pittsburgh, Pa, You Guys know where i can Pick up a control Lever for blade let me know, save some time, BRFIMG_05541.jpg.cdeb9b4ecae9f17519c5022874b0e49c.jpgIMG_05501.jpg.cb4032144eba0a115b5380d5e44111aa.jpgIMG_05511.jpg.1da0536bc1e363fc6a7af6ed5d3219ab.jpg