DennisThornton

RedSquare style info for RV & Camper users?

DennisThornton

I've been spoiled here.  Such great knowledge & help!  I'm struggling trying to find RV\Camper help of the same caliber as WH help here.  So far limited success...  Then it dawned on me that just maybe, maybe I wasn't the only one here.  I'm over my pay scale with a few things and most likely someone here knows or knows of another site.

Any help appreciated. 

similar 

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

.......... I'm struggling trying to find RV\Camper help of the same caliber as WH help here.....................maybe I wasn't the only one here.  I'm over my pay scale with a few things and most likely someone here knows or knows of another site..........

I know very little about RVs ..... we're tent campers. 

Don't  know of any other sites either. ....

But one never knows what others around here may have filed away. 

What's the help you need? 

nylyon

If you have a Jayco, Jaycoowners.com is nice.

JPWH

forestriverforums.com has a lot of helpful info.

Jay

• Like 1

squonk

RV's are great. You can have 2 of the same models sitting side by side built on the same day and have all the common breakable components be totally different from each other. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

ebinmaine
Just now, squonk said:

RV's are great. You can have 2 of the same models sitting side by side built on the same day and have all the common breakable components be totally different from each other. :rolleyes:

Yes!

Couple decades ago I sold auto parts where the dealer sold conversion vans...... awful to get parts for. Same deal.

DennisThornton

I've been on ForestRiverforums.com and it did look promising.

Don't have a Jayco but surely I some common issues. 

Everything is so different than a house! And I'm trying to make it 4 season. Having trouble with that since I can't even find the furnace thermostat!  Found the AC! 

slammer302

Most I've seen the thermostat for the ac is for the furnace too.

WHX??
16 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

struggling trying to find RV\Camper help of the same caliber as WH help here

Quit looking you won't find it ...RS sets the benchmark as far as helpful forums go and there is no peer!

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/72504-we-got-it-made-here/

How do we even really know you got an RV Dennis if there are no :text-coolphotos: ! :ychain:

• Like 2

nylyon

The thermostat depend on the age of the camper and the size.  Some campers have A/C controls on the roof mounted A/C and are not controlled by a thermostat, and a separate control for the furnace (usually on the wall).  These are usually older or very small models.  The most common tie the main A/C thermostat with the furnace.  These usually have a switch for heat and cool.  Large campers may have more than 1 thermostat.  The main thermostat would work as above, and secondary thermostats control 2nd / 3rd and even 4th A/C units.

And if it's a used unit, a previous owner may have replaced the RV thermostat with a residential.  Tough call on how that works then, but usually there's an external added switch to control it some how.

squonk

Man RV's must have come a long way since I worked on them 30 yrs. ago. As Karl said, an older Roof AC will have a fan switch and a temp dial which controls the the compressor by measuring the return air coming back from the space. Post some pics of the stat , controls and what not. How much damage can we do? after all "you can't spoil a rotten egg! "

DennisThornton
8 hours ago, slammer302 said:

Most I've seen the thermostat for the ac is for the furnace too.

Thought the same here but calls for heat makes a "click" overhead but doesn't start the furnace under the fridge.  I pulled the furnace and it bench tested OK. 

5 hours ago, nylyon said:

The thermostat depend on the age of the camper and the size.  Some campers have A/C controls on the roof mounted A/C and are not controlled by a thermostat, and a separate control for the furnace (usually on the wall).  These are usually older or very small models.  The most common tie the main A/C thermostat with the furnace.  These usually have a switch for heat and cool.  Large campers may have more than 1 thermostat.  The main thermostat would work as above, and secondary thermostats control 2nd / 3rd and even 4th A/C units.

And if it's a used unit, a previous owner may have replaced the RV thermostat with a residential.  Tough call on how that works then, but usually there's an external added switch to control it some how.

Hall thermostat has AC/Furnace and does turn the AC on and the overhead will click with a call for heat but the tested good furnace under the fridge  never comes on. 

DennisThornton
7 hours ago, WHX12 said:

Quit looking you won't find it ...RS sets the benchmark as far as helpful forums go and there is no peer!

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/72504-we-got-it-made-here/

How do we even really know you got an RV Dennis if there are no :text-coolphotos: ! :ychain:

RS certainly sets the high bar! But even lower bars could be very helpful. 

• Excellent 1

squonk

Some of those overhead AC's have electric heat strips in them that usually burn out.. You might be hearing the heat contactor pulling in overhead. I assume the RV is plugged in. Most rv furnaces are 12 volt and run off of a converter. I have seen a blown fuse in the converter itself when a furnace does not do anything. Do the 12 volt lights work? Some lights have a 12v bulb circuit as well as 120. Is there a good battery in the RV?

JPWH

Dennis, did you bench test it with gas applied? My furnace tested good but would not heat up. Dirt dobbers had plugged gas orifice. Cleaned out dirt dobber then installed an exhaust wasp guard and no more problems.

Jay

slammer302

On the two campers I've had the furnace burners will turn on and heat up for a bit then the blower kicks on. The 06 keystone and the 05 Gulfstream I currently have are this way and yes dirt dobbers can cause problems with camper furnaces. 

squonk

Fan should come on first to purge any gas from the burner before the spark/pilot comes on and lights. A 2nd stage blower speed may come on when the heat exchanger reaches temp. Then when the space temp is satisfied the burner shuts off but the fan will run a short time to post purge the chamber. We used to get customers who complained that while siting on the potty, the furnace would come on and blow cold air in their netherlands.:jaw: Told them sorry but it's a normal safety sequence.

Edited by squonk

nylyon

Pop the thermostat cover. Check the red wire should be +12v. Check that there’s a white wire, this should lead to the furnace. Get creative on how to trace that wire and insure no opens.

If the wiring is good, jump the red to the white furnace should fire up. If furnace fires up, replace thermostat.

If if doesn’t check that the thermostat white wire at the furnace has power, if it does, then furnace problem, if not then wiring problem.

DennisThornton
5 hours ago, nylyon said:

2002 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS.   Hard for me to find detailed info.   Makes sense that the combo Dometic heat/cool thermostat controls both but the furnace won't fire. 

11 hours ago, squonk said:

Some of those overhead AC's have electric heat strips in them that usually burn out.. You might be hearing the heat contactor pulling in overhead. I assume the RV is plugged in. Most rv furnaces are 12 volt and run off of a converter. I have seen a blown fuse in the converter itself when a furnace does not do anything. Do the 12 volt lights work? Some lights have a 12v bulb circuit as well as 120. Is there a good battery in the RV?

Plugged in. 

Both 120 & 12 Volt systems work. 

I will double check the fuse box. 

10 hours ago, JPWH said:

Dennis, did you bench test it with gas applied? My furnace tested good but would not heat up. Dirt dobbers had plugged gas orifice. Cleaned out dirt dobber then installed an exhaust wasp guard and no more problems.

Jay

Bench tested and works fine.  

Tip to all.  Either use a big battery or a much bigger charger than I first tried! 

13 minutes ago, squonk said:

Fan should come on first to purge any gas from the burner before the spark/pilot comes on and lights. A 2nd stage blower speed may come on when the heat exchanger reaches temp. Then when the space temp is satisfied the burner shuts off but the fan will run a short time to post purge the chamber. We used to get customers who complained that while siting on the potty, the furnace would come on and blow cold air in their netherlands.:jaw: Told them sorry but it's a normal safety sequence.

Yep.  Furnace works as expected on the bench. 

10 minutes ago, nylyon said:

Pop the thermostat cover. Check the red wire should be +12v. Check that there’s a white wire, this should lead to the furnace. Get creative on how to trace that wire and insure no opens.

If the wiring is good, jump the red to the white furnace should fire up. If furnace fires up, replace thermostat.

If if doesn’t check that the thermostat white wire at the furnace has power, if it does, then furnace problem, if not then wiring problem.

Thermostat works but somehow it's not getting to the furnace.  Indeed it appears that some "creativity" will be required to trace the wires!  Perhaps less to run new ones! 

Won't be long before my little electric heater will NOT be up to the task. 

Thanks guys! 

DennisThornton

Furnace bench tested fine. 

It's NOT the furnace. 

And the thermostat does trip something in the overhead AC when it calls for heat. 

squonk

Find the 120V to 12V converter. There may be a fuse in the converter itself. Not in the fuse box. Do you know if when plugged in the Camper battery charges? Note: Sometimes the converter is hidden. I found it under a bed in the one I had. I had no heat on one of the coldest nights I ever was on. Found a little 1 amp fuse in the converter blown. You may have to start at the furnace connection and follow the wires. May even been a varmint chewed a wire. Also make sure you have a good ground on the furnace. Bad grounds raise cain on furnace boards.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
55 minutes ago, squonk said:

We used to get customers who complained that while siting on the potty, the furnace would come on and blow cold air in their netherlands.:jaw: Told them sorry but it's a normal safety sequence.

:text-yeahthat: Gotta purge that gas.  :text-imsorry:

• Haha 3

DennisThornton
9 hours ago, squonk said:

Find the 120V to 12V converter. There may be a fuse in the converter itself. Not in the fuse box. Do you know if when plugged in the Camper battery charges? Note: Sometimes the converter is hidden. I found it under a bed in the one I had. I had no heat on one of the coldest nights I ever was on. Found a little 1 amp fuse in the converter blown. You may have to start at the furnace connection and follow the wires. May even been a varmint chewed a wire. Also make sure you have a good ground on the furnace. Bad grounds raise cain on furnace boards.

I'll check the converter and fuses this evening.  If all else fails I'll wire in another thermostat. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I'm setting here warm, comfortable and confident.  

My best guess is that the blower was blocked by setting for so long and that I must have freed it up bench testing it.  I researched it to death, tested about everything and begged for help here. I really don't think there was hardly anything else wrong with it except it seems it blew a fuse after I checked it or my memory failed.  (happens more often...) 

As usual, thanks for all the great tips  and help!  Great collection of helpful knowledgeable crew here! 

Now if can convert my man cave getaway from 3 season to 4 season! 

But perhaps another thread! 

Thanks guys! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1