mrc

tiller seals

mrc

hi men, can someone tell me a good part number for the seals on a 36 inch wh tiller? i read somewhere to use 2 seals??? facing different directions?  all comments welcome. trying to help a friend who is not a member.  thank you.  mike in mass.

Racinbob

There are two seals on each side. Part #103118 or 1482 depending on the year. I think they are the same. As far as installing them in opposite directions I really don't know but there is some logic to that considering the environment they live in. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Mounting the outer seal backwards might help keep the dirt out...

seal.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

doc724

Yes, there are two seals.  On the inner seal, the lip faces in.  On the outer seal, the lip faces out.  If you pull an IPL, you can see the two seals and the info I just provided.  The old ones will be a ***** to remove if you do not disassemble the unit as you cannot get behind the outer seal to remove it when the shaft is in the way (and the trick of drilling two small holes in the seal shell does not work well when the lip is facing out).  BTW, get good SKF seals to reinstall.  I know on some of the 3/4 transaxle shafts, Toro seals are plastic.  Not good when your spouse leaves the brake engaged and drives the machine :-(

mrc

thank you for the info guys. very much appreciated.  mike in mass.