Rondeau94

Snow thrower model

Rondeau94

New to this page. I just got my C120 that me and my father restored 8 years ago. Never had a chance to restore the snow thrower. Trying to figure out what model it is so I can order parts.

thank you in advanced. It's a 75 C120 all original. 

IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3789.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3793.JPG

gwest_ca

If the drive shaft across the back is 3/4" diameter it should be one of these two models. I don't see a scrapper wear bare on the bottom.

I think the style of Wheel Horse decal on it started in 1985.

Garry

Rondeau94
3 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

If the drive shaft across the back is 3/4" diameter it should be one of these two models. I don't see a scrapper wear bare on the bottom.

I think the style of Wheel Horse decal on it started in 1985.

Garry

Dose the with include the side wings? The auger on mine is only 36" across. 

gwest_ca

I believe it is considered to be 37" width and with the wings makes it 42".

Garry

• Excellent 1

Rondeau94
39 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

Ok thank you for the information! I appreciate it. 

Rondeau94
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

Can you tell me what I'm missing here? 

IMG_3833.JPG

gwest_ca

The top span of belt goes from the snowthrower pulley directly to the pto outer pulley groove..

It is the bottom span of belt that rides on the idler pulleys. The belt goes from the pto pulley, under the V-idler and then up over the flat idler then around the snowthrower pulley.

The spring will pull the flat idler up and the V-idler down to tension the belt.

You don't have the lift tube or the flag installed. It goes into the vertical arm on the lift rockshaft. Believe there are 3 holes in that arm and the flag goes into the top hole.

Looks like the ID plate just above the hole for the drive shaft. Readable?

Garry

Adding

See what may be 3/4" flat washers wired to the left hitch frame. If that is what they are they are used on the shaft of the flag to adjust the lift height of the snowthrower.

C-Series snowthrower belt routing.jpg

Rondeau94
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

The top span of belt goes from the snowthrower pulley directly to the pto outer pulley groove..

It is the bottom span of belt that rides on the idler pulleys. The belt goes from the pto pulley, under the V-idler and then up over the flat idler then around the snowthrower pulley.

The spring will pull the flat idler up and the V-idler down to tension the belt.

You don't have the lift tube or the flag installed. It goes into the vertical arm on the lift rockshaft. Believe there are 3 holes in that arm and the flag goes into the top hole.

Looks like the ID plate just above the hole for the drive shaft. Readable?

Garry

Adding

See what may be 3/4" flat washers wired to the left hitch frame. If that is what they are they are used on the shaft of the flag to adjust the lift height of the snowthrower.

C-Series snowthrower belt routing.jpg

Ok cool. Unfortunately you can not reed the data play at all. Also you have any idea what side the lift tube and flag go on? 

IMG_3834.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

gwest_ca

I suggest replacing the spring pin with a 3/16" x 1" cotter pin. The spring pin will get pushed out at the worst time and a cotter pin smaller than 3/16" diameter is not strong enough. You may need to clean the rust out of the hole to get a 3/16" pin in.

Once you get everything operating I would also suggest you replace the drive chain. It looks quite rusty and will wear the sprockets fast. A 10 foot length of chain from a farm store will probably make 3 replacements. The bottom idler sprocket is mounted in a slotted hole for chain tension adjustment. There is a trick to installing the chain master link retainer so post about that when the time comes.

Garry

Snowthrower lift hook.jpg

old5foot

Have you been able to ID the blower?

I have a similar one. It also has a triangular plate holding the bearing on the chain drive socket.

I am trying to ID mine so I can order new bearings.

It also has a 3/4" drive shaft.

The parts diagram for all the 1980 model years on PartsTree.com all show round bearing cover plate.Will let you kno if I have any luck.

Appreciate your doing the same.

old5foot

WVHillbilly520H
38 minutes ago, old5foot said:

I have a similar one. It also has a triangular plate holding the bearing on the chain drive socket.

The parts diagram for all the 1980 model years on PartsTree.com all show round bearing cover plate.Will let you kno if I have any luck.

old5foot

The triangle version bearing retainer most likely is a "off brand" replacement they sell them at TSC and elsewhere as long as it has the same bolt hole pattern is doesn't matter round or triangle, and most throwers have used the same bearings and retainers till end of production shouldn't matter which year you pick from 80s on, Jeff.

Screenshot_20171023-115127.png

Screenshot_20171023-092621.png

Screenshot_20171023-092640.png

Rondeau94
On 11/9/2017 at 7:32 PM, old5foot said:

old5foot

I have not. It's all confusing to me they have so many that all look the same but all different numbers. I assume most the parts are all interchangeable 

old5foot

I haven' found any numbers yet. But I did track down several Blowers with the triangular bearing flange.  All were mid to late 1970's.

Talked to Fuzz at S&K in Owosso, MI, he tracked down the bearing I need. Really knows his stuff. (989-723-2369)

I also texted with a fellow who rebuilt his C-120 and blower (1973) bearings and more (same triangular bearing flange) (231-350-8360).  He sounded willing to share his experience. Would be worth a call.

Good Luck, will pass on any numbers I can track down. But I think you are right about interchangable parts. Just make sure they fit the 3/4" driveshaft.

old5foot

gwest_ca

If I remember correctly the most common 3/4" self-aligning bearings available today will not fit in the two plates that mount the bearing. The 7/8" bearings have an OD that will fit the plates and a bushing was added to accept the 3/4" shaft.

The OD of the bearings are the shape of a ball. That allows them to swivel in the plate holders and why the are called self-aligning.

There is a grease hole in the outer race. A grease fitting in the plate holders allows grease into the bearing. Not all plates have a grease fitting.

The original bearings had an extended inner race on one side and this extension had set screws to secure it to the shaft. Most replacements today use a separate locking collar that is setscrewed to the shaft. You place the collar over the extended inner race and then using a hammer and punch rotate the collar in the direction of shaft rotation until it is tight. Then tighten the set screws. This ensures the shaft does not spin in the bearing.

Garry