ohiostate454

New to me horses(141 & 656)

ohiostate454

Well since it is finally starting to warm up I have been able to get some work done on the 656. I also have a new motor with new rings and gaskets that needs to be honed and put together that I will do sometime this spring. The body however cleaned up very nicely and I have most of the painting done and will clear coat it this spring. I fixed some of the dents but it isn't perfect and I taped off the old decals because there were in excellent shape and I wanted to have some of the original look to it. Should finish up most of the paint tonight and reassembly tomorrow so I can get the cars back in my newly red floored garage.

IMG_20180304_085501_971.jpg

20180303_153359.jpg

20180303_171027.jpg

20180303_171035.jpg

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

I see you use the standard "primer" for all paint jobs - That can of Busch peaking out of the corner in photo #3...:ychain:

I'm cheap - Kirkland Light for me...:hide:

Nice job on the painting as well!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ohiostate454

Hey it for sure helps the paint look better.........:laughing-rofl:

I'm kind of wishing I would have tore it down a little more before painting it but I am pretty happy with the finished product on the body. For some reason I am having a hell of a time getting primer to stick to the wheels. I am not overly happy with them and I have some spares I might throw on and I will sandblast the originals and try again on them. I will snap some pics of it tonight with the hood and trans back in it and hopefully sitting on all 4 tires.

I am curious my slothitch currently is just used in a fixed position with a bolt on the back of the frame. Does anyone have pictures of what the lift cable looks like and how it mounts inside the tractor? I am thinking about getting a small winch from harbor freight and see if I can mounts that sideways with a ****** block and have an electric rear lift in this.

953 nut
18 minutes ago, ohiostate454 said:

having a hell of a time getting primer to stick to the wheels.

You need to remove all old residue of oil and wax prior to painting anything for best results. Lots of brands to choose from, but pick up some wax and oil remover and use it every time you are ready to paint. Even the oils from your hand can ruin a paint job.

Pre Painting Prep Aerosol

24 minutes ago, ohiostate454 said:

slothitch currently is just used in a fixed position with a bolt on the back of the frame. Does anyone have pictures of what the lift cable looks like and how it mounts inside the tractor?

Here is the place to buy a new cable for the hitch. The jacket of the lift cable runs over the transmission and can be secured in place with a clamp bolted to the trans.

https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/cables.html

5a9e7f8bb451e_slothitch.jpg.774cdfecf370b8f1550ff2b23c667d7e.jpg

ohiostate454

I did prep the wheels I scrubbed them with a degreaser and a scoring pad. Used mineral spirits to cut what was left of the grease and residue and wiped it until I could get a clean rag. Roughed it with some 1000 grit paper and one rag or preprep for paint. I made sure I let it dry as well. I am wondering if it was the paint I was using because I had similar problems when I sprayed the hood of my Bolens before winter.

As for the lift do you have a picture of how it attaches to the lift arm? I see pictures of some kind of bar that I am guessing sits parella to the transmission as some for of a guide? I still might try to fab some sort of electric lift for it so I can run 2 implements at the same time independently.

Ed Kennell

ohiostate454

Well I threw it back together so I could push it back in the corner of the garage so we could get our cars in since it is supposed to snow all week. I see a few spots I missed cleaning on the bottom of the frame that will get cleaned and re sprayed. Also I am not overly happy with how the hood turned out so I think it is going to be stripped down with the fender pan and reshot as well. Other then that the wheels need to be re done its not awful I kind of wish I would have fully stripped it down to paint in pieces but it's going to be put to work so it isn't the end of the world. I also noticed that I didn't get any paint on the shifter :wacko: So I am thinking it will get a coat of black to go with the wheel hubs.

20180306_190606.jpg

20180306_190621.jpg

20180306_191311.jpg

• Like 2