echoffmann

1995 416H missing most electrical harness

echoffmann

I have a 1995 416H Model: 73421 / Ser: 5900214 that I picked up running. Sadly for whatever reason the electrical has been butchered and what was taken out was handed to me in an ice cream bucket. Previous owner stripped it down to hot-wiring the starter to a push button , that is ran by a toggle switch to turn main power on or off.

Can I at a bare minimum get the charging feature back, right now I have to keep it on a tender? It’s a mess, I don’t know where to start. There are wires tagged “Relay 1” and “Relay 2” but I don’t see any relays, no clue where the fuse block should mount or relays, all the ends for the gauges or micro switches are gone. The 9 pin connector is still on the motor side.

If anyone can send me photos of their wire harness by the cab showing connections and ends, that would be super helpful, or if anyone knows how to just get charging function added back I could live with that. I did pick up a wire harness from another year 416, Harness #116724-a (attached images)...though not the same part number as mine calls for, when I compare the drawings from the online microfiche, they are the same wire layout...maybe different wire color differences?

Thanks!

116724-a.jpg

116724-b.jpg

gwest_ca

Perhaps you can put it back together.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut

On the Onan there should be a voltage regulator bolted to the engine with a single wire going to the Battery terminal of the ignition switch (probably a fuse in line).

cleat

That harness you picked up looks great.

You may need the engine harness as well if that has been destroyed also.

Other than that, download the manual and carefully follow the wiring diagram.

I would begin with the basic stuff like run, start, and charge, then work up to things like warning lights etc.

• Like 1

echoffmann

Thanks for all the tips so far and attachments, I'll start with the wiring diagram and see what I have to work with. I like Cleats idea of starting with the basics, starting and charging then adding from there.

Edited by echoffmann
  • Excellent 1

echoffmann

So I got it wired and running but not charging. The B+ terminal on rectifier reads 0, the one on my 520 reads 14.5v. Any leads on an aftermarket as new one is $120? 

gwest_ca

The wire to the B+ terminal on the regulator needs to be hooked up to the battery for 2 reasons. One to turn the regulator on and the 2nd is that is how the charge current gets to the battery. Some are wired directly to the battery (+) and some go through the ignition switch.

Garry

cleat

As Garry said, you should be reading battery voltage there.

Make sure you have connection between the battery and B+ on the regulator.

Early 520's had a wire go from the regulator directly to the starter solenoid battery cable with a 30A inline fuse.

I have wired mine all this way to take that load out of the 9 pin connector.