Poppa T

Yer in Zunny Deb'n

Poppa T

Hi ( for those not familiar with the title it translates as 'Here in Sunny Devon')

Thought I'd better join being as I've just rescued a wheelhorse complete with rotavator/tiller  attached that has been left in a field for the past 5 years!. When I get my head around this forum I'll upload some pics.

It's in a bit of a sorry state but looks all there. This is my first Toro but have read that it has a good solid reputation - plus I like to find knackered old agricultural stuff to bring back to life. ( I'll introduce my wife later 😳

We we have a Smallholding near Crediton where we live an organic, self sufficient lifestyle. Being closer to 70 than 60 I really appreciate machinery on the farm.

righto, my find is:

Toro Wheelhorse 416-8

8 Speed

model 73440

serial 3900125

engine Power Plus 16, pressure lubrication

obviously I don't have any manuals so would love a dialogue with anyone who can help with this aspect.

• Like 4

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Click on each picture below to take you to the file descriptions. You can also download the files from there.

Garry

• Like 3

KC9KAS

@Poppa T :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

AMC RULES

:WRS:

:greetings-wavingyellow:    :wwp:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Achto

953 nut

:WRS:            You will find that this is a very easy site to work with and great people too. Photos are very easy to post, as you make an entry just click on the choose files--- at the lower left side and it will take you to your pictures file on the computer, make your selection and click on it then click on open. The photo will be downloaded to the bottom of your text, click on the + (which will be over the photo) and the photo will be added to the text.

Most questions about the site have been answered here; http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/56-finding-your-way-around-in-redsquare/

• Like 1

JC 1965

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

Poppa T

Brilliant, brilliant brilliant. Thank you for the welcomes and the excellent downloads. I've been a bit busy today getting back to the uk after a well earned 3 week jolly in the Dordogne. That's what brothers are for😀🍺😀. So catching up my late planting of some 300 garlics and elephant garlics then my mate Julian turned up asking for help to lift out a Landrover engine with the tractor means I didn't get to photo the beast. Tomorrow definitely.

• Like 1

roadapples

:text-welcomeconfetti:

gwest_ca

Missed giving you the illustrated parts list

Garry

chris sutton

:WRS: I'm in the UK , up near Brighton

neil

U.K. Here too , just up the M5 from you in gert Bridgwater Somerset

welclome to Redsquare , everything you will ever need to get your tractor pretty again 

Poppa T
13 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Missed giving you the illustrated parts list

Garry

Superb, thank you. All printed off and in my workshop

5 minutes ago, neil said:

U.K. Here too , just up the M5 from you in gert Bridgwater Somerset

welclome to Redsquare , everything you will ever need to get your tractor pretty again 

Hi, Neil

i travel between Crediton and Birmingham and Stafford up th M5 a good few times a year to visit an ailing 90 year old mother, my daughter and grandkids. Probably pass by your place.

incidentally if you are ever in my neck of the woods drop in, the kettle's always on. Home brewed cider always in the fridge. I'm happy to pm you details.

meadowfield

welcome to RS, everything you need is right here!  hurry up and get those pictures on :)

ohiofarmer

image.png.14e8d4fb9a56dd7286a2fb0b441ac32c.png                              Devon is such a lovely place

Edited by ohiofarmer

AMC RULES

Poppa T

Ok so this is our place - half way between Crediton and Sandford. It's the whole triangle - about 2.5 acres.

sorting and dragging the lambs and doing what small boys do best....riding on uncle rob's Kubota.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

meadowfield

nice place, good pictures too :handgestures-thumbupright:

Stormin

:WRS:  Poppa. I'm oop north on the Solway Plain. I'd love a place like yours. Bit late in life now though.

Poppa T

Ok here are a couple or so pics of the 'find'.

In the side view showing the range lever can you tell me if the button on top should press down because mine doesn't.

I haven't really started stripping it down yet. Also the starter motor looks fairly corroded.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Stormin

Poor old thing looks in a sorry state. But I've seen worse. Being all there is a good thing.

In the side view photo 3 that is the lift lever for raising/lowering attachments. The button should press down to enable the lever to be moved. Take the rotovator off to take the weight off the lever. Pull the lever back if you can, then press the button. If the button will not go down, give it a good soak with penetrate fluid.

The black hand wheel next to it, is for adjusting the movement of the lever.

I hope my rather poor description helps.

Norm.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1

Poppa T

Thanks very much for that, Norm. I have been squirting WD on everything that looks like it should move, screw or bolt. Taking the tiller off the back is a good idea - hadn't thought of that. It'll be a slow process ( running a Smallholding takes most of my time) but I o like to take the occasional day off to 'play'.

obviously I'll have to start making a shopping list, starting with a seat.

ohiofarmer

there are some ATC fuses in the vicinity of the battery and also a safety switch in the linkage of the PTO engage lever. They will need penetrating oil by the looks of things.Under the seat deck where the frame tunnel ends, the metal is often cracked. That can be a big deal if it makes the seat fall off when you are on an embankment. Not so much if all your land is flat. Pay attention to the idler pulley on the transmission. The swing arm of the idler is supposed to be surrounded with a [plastic I think] bushing.  The swing arm can cut an egg shaped hole in the frame if that bushing fails

The way the tractor looks, i would say all these things deserve your attention. Now go forth and restore that beast....