roowa75

244 Hydrostatic transmission

roowa75

New member and first post. Glad to be part of the forum! Forgive me if this is a redundant question that's asked but I feel I've been pretty thorough in researching the manuals and other outlets for the answers I am looking for. I recently purchased a 1993 Wheel Horse 244 H. It wasn't what I wanted but it was cheap and I needed to mow the yard. A 300 to 500 series was really what I wanted with an 8 speed but my budget didn't allow for that. It was a pretty clean tractor with what seamed like lower hours if they are accurate and at the time I bought it I had no experience with hydrostatic transmissions and I really didn't want any. Took the mower home and did the yard. The transmission made some pretty angry sounds when it was cold so I checked the fluid. It was full. Once it got up to temp it seemed to get a little quieter so I put it out of my mind.  I went to the Toro web side and found it has an Eaton 751-045 transmission. Tried to figure out how to service this thing since it has 500 hours on it. Could only find a listing for a fill hole which I assume you would either need to remove the assembly to flip over and drain or suction out if you can get to it. I haven't gotten that far yet. Secondly I see it has spin on filter. I need to figure out where that is I have not looked yet. I went out yesterday after assembling my leaf sweeper and the transmission felt really bad. It was very noisy and jerky. Reverse was the worst trying to back up the sweeper.. I tried to check for replacement parts and you would think these things would be easy to find. They are not. I was looking to buy a new one and possibly overhaul the original but I can't even find a replacement. I'd hate to scrap the tractor because I can't find parts for it but I don't want it to become a money pit either. Does anyone have any experience with these "light" duty units? Is a fluid and filter change even worth a shot seeing as how bad it's whining and jerking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

gwest_ca

See there is a filter inside the transmission. There is an illustrated parts list near the end of the tractor parts list - page 32 and item 37. The Onan engine has a spin-on filter.

Garry

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:@roowa75.      Unfortunately I don't have any experience with these vertical engine mowers.

Hopefully a member will be here soon  to offer some advice.