dhr5050

How to get stud out?

dhr5050

Hello everyone

Below is a picture of a stud I can't remove. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem and how they dealt with it? 

Also, I think this is the 7/16 stud  ( #104842)..not completely sure though because I can't find any pictures of it anywhere other than some detail lacking diagrams

20171029_144517.jpg

20171029_144453.jpg

daveoman1966

First, buy the penetrant oil named FREE-ALL.  Kinday pricey, but works well.  Spray generously onto threads and let soak a couple hours...spray again if wanted.. 

2nd...use a pair of LOCKING vise grip pliers on the short stub, as close as possible to the crankshaft.  LOCK THE PLIERS as TIGHT AS POSSIBLE.  Then, give the locked-on pliers a WHACK to 'impact' the stud, hoping to break it loose.  If that fails, try again, but this time...USE A HOT WRENCH to heat up the END of the crankshaft...thjen whack the pliers again.  (You should wrap a wet rag around the crankshaft up against the block to spare the bearing and seal from heat.) 

If all that fails, cut the bolt off flush and drill a  5/6-3/8  hole in the center of it...at least 1" deep.  Then get the EZ-outs ready and try that. 

• Like 4

roadapples

Weld a nut on the end of the stud...

• Like 7

gwest_ca

You can also eliminate all those parts that push the pto bell out if you replace the outer pto shaft in the outer bearing to a newer design that used 2 snap rings - one each side of the bearing. Then the pto lever and rod will pull the pto out.

Pto shaft item 33

2 snap rings item 34

If you do this just cut the broken stud off flush.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/31-12k801-312-8-toro-312-8-garden-tractor-1990/pto-clutch-and-control/

Garry

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Digger 66
1 hour ago, roadapples said:

Weld a nut on the end of the stud...

Yup ^^

• Like 2

Searcher60

If you have to ask, then apparently you do not have the tools or experience in removing these. Take it to a machine shop, they can get it out without damage to crank. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

857 horse

DHR,,,,,,:text-coolphotos:  welcome to the group !!!!!!!Always  remember,,,,If we don't know,,,,ask !!!!  

Howard857Horse,,,,,,,,Stafford,Va

• Like 2

ranger
On 29 October 2017 at 9:49 PM, Digger 66 said:

Yup ^^

Nut welded on should do it. 

If you have a bolt/stud broken off close to, or just below the face of a casting, etc, find a washer with a hole the size or slightly smaller than the bolt, hold it over the bolt, then hit it with the mig. The washer should stop you welding the bolt to the casting. Then hold a nut, a half / thin nut is best, over the washer / bolt and fill the centre of the nut with weld. This usually puts enough heat into the assembly to allow you to crack it free. Good luck:clap:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

roadapples
1 hour ago, ranger said:

Nut welded on should do it. 

If you have a bolt/stud broken off close to, or just below the face of a casting, etc, find a washer with a hole the size or slightly smaller than the bolt, hold it over the bolt, then hit it with the mig. The washer should stop you welding the bolt to the casting. Then hold a nut, a half / thin nut is best, over the washer / bolt and fill the centre of the nut with weld. This usually puts enough heat into the assembly to allow you to crack it free. Good luck:clap:

Exactly....

• Excellent 1

123GO
On 10/30/2017 at 8:01 AM, Searcher60 said:

If you have to ask, then apparently you do not have the tools or experience in removing these. Take it to a machine shop, they can get it out without damage to crank. 

Considering none of us were actually born with all the knowledge needed to perform these repairs, all our tractors would be sitting in a shop. You had to learn too.

Excuse me if Im wrong, but' I also thought learning & teaching each other about our tractors was the sole purpose of these type websites anyway, maybe even save them from Americas scrap heap but I guess you don't understand that idea? 

• Like 3

midpack
6 hours ago, 123GO said:

Considering none of us were actually born with all the knowledge needed to perform these repairs, all our tractors would be sitting in a shop. You had to learn too.

Excuse me if Im wrong, but' I also thought learning & teaching each other about our tractors was the sole purpose of these type websites anyway, maybe even save them from Americas scrap heap but I guess you don't understand that idea? 

Agreed. I dont mind giving out suggestions. Not my junk they're  working on!

Plus, some of you guys have GREAT ideas that I can tuck away in my "maybe there's  a better way " file 😎

• Like 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, 123GO said:

Excuse me if Im wrong, but' I also thought learning & teaching each other about our tractors was the sole purpose of these type websites

Please don't take a crude comment from one member and paint us all with that same brush. I think you will find the majority of us are very willing to provide helpful information.

Helping isn't our only reason for being here, we also enjoy the social aspect of encouraging and uplifting one-another.   :party:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

123GO

Well' I certainly wasn't aiming high for everyone, by all means it was a single shot.  

I agree "Sole" purpose was strong because your right we all enjoy each other's daily dose of BS here too.  :romance-grouphug:

Fwiw-  I took my :angry-chillpill: today, kick'n back watching tv (Blazing Saddles) due to rain and wth its a Saturday. 

All good for now, unlocked unloaded. Sorry folks..lol

• Heart 1