dhr5050

Extra wires for same (newer) engine

dhr5050

Hello everyone! I have decided to replace my K241s (needs rebuilt) with another newer k241s. Everything was going good until I figured out that my newer engine had extra wires. 

In the first photo I am holding a wire that my older engine doesn't have. I assume this wire is for some light or gauge that my lawn mower doesn't have. Therefore I wouldn't need it right?

In the second photo I am holding a three prong wire adapter, which means three wires run into the adapter, however my old engine only has 2 wires running from it.

According to my brief amount of researching I believe that the newer engine is from 1986 and possibly came off of a 310-8.

Can anybody give Me advice on my conundrum?

20171028_135143.jpg

20171028_135152.jpg

pfrederi

There can be big differences in 10 hp engines.  The wire pair from the oil pan is most likely a low oil shut off. 

That your old engine had only two wires tells me it was a 3 amp unregulated system.  the one with 3 wires probably has  a 10 or 15 amp regulated system.  You are going to have to get a regulator.

• Like 3

dhr5050

So what do I do about the low oil shut off wire? And how do I find out which regulator I need?

pfrederi

You can ignore the wires from the oil pan.  I would go with a15 amp regulator.  You may only have a 10 amp stator but that will not bother the regulator (If you get a 10 amp regulator bu have a 15 amp stator that may cause issues.  Check with one of our vendors A to Z to see if he has any good used.  There are new ones like this just search for Kohler 15 amp regulator.  You are going to have to do some rewiring.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/169-a-z-tractor/

reg.JPG

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:         The wiring differences will probably be minor. As Paul said the low oil switch can be left alone. The third wire from the regulator will go to the " R " terminal of your ignition switch. Here is the manual for the 1986 300 series which includes wiring diagrams. What year and model :wh: is it going on?

Tractor 1986 300-Series OM #810399R1.pdf

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The 3-wire connector should not go to a voltage regulator. There should be only 2 wires for the charging system from the engine. Could be two AC wires or one AC wire and one DC wire.

The 3rd regulator wire is part of the tractor wiring harness.

Do you know the Kohler spec number of the engine?

Garry

dhr5050

Its going on a 75 c100.. The spec no of the engine I'm putting on is 46863.

953 nut

Here is the manual for the tractor you have.

The engine number matches up to a 1986 310 as you said.

The engine you are replacing has a far better charging system than the 310, if you are feeling up to the challenge you could swap it to the new motor and all the charging wiring could stay as is.

• Like 1

dhr5050

By swapping the charging system do you mean the stator?