Rustyred

Paint carburator or no paint?

Rustyred

Hello,

I'm repainting both tractor and Kohler engine. 1979 C-81. My question is can you paint a carburetor? 

Currently it is kind of half painted with a very light coat over some of it. I don't want mine to look half baked. Can I paint or is it okay to leave no paint on?

Thank you again for your needed advice.

Rustyred

BOB ELLISON

I remove all the paint on mine. Gas will remove almost all paint if it gets on it.

I would clean off the paint that's on it.

I think bare aluminum looks good 

Just me I guess. Or you can paint it .

I have seen them painted and they look fine.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

I used some of this Eastwood carb paint.  Looked  nice and has held up for a year or so.  They have a bronze version but his looks more original to me.

carb.JPG

• Like 3

Rustyred

Both great input. Good to know I have a couple options. Is the Eastwood paint a certain color made by wheel horse or Kohler or what are you referring to?

pacer

I dont recall ever seeing one painted - like on purpose, but is pretty common to see the ones with overspray, sometimes heavier than others. I too clean them of all paint, a few times when Ive had one all apart and its really grungy, Ill stick it in the bead blast cabinet and really clean it.

953 nut
2 hours ago, Rustyred said:

Is the Eastwood paint a certain color made by wheel horse or Kohler

Eastwood is a retailer of fine quality automotive tools and restoration supplies. I have been doing business with them for 30 years or more.

http://www.eastwood.com/

• Like 2

Rustyred

What do any of you think of the $20 carburetors for sale on Amazon. My original one is pretty banged up.

953 nut

I have used a couple of them and am very satisfied. Be sure the choke lever matches your application, some pull up and some pull down.

• Like 7

oldredrider

Upon disassembly of the carb,  removing all gaskets and seals, I use brake cleaner to not only clean, but remove all paint from the outside. Works great and does a good job of removing all paint.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I have used a couple of them and am very satisfied. Be sure the choke lever matches your application, some pull up and some pull down.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 3

pacer
18 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

have used a couple of them and am very satisfied. Be sure the choke lever matches your application, some pull up and some pull down.

:text-yeahthat:

Times two -- with a  stress on checking the choke movement..... tho I did manage to change one out from the old carb - a bit of a pain, but doable.

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

I also like the Aluminum look. I clean mine with brake cleaner and polish with SOS pad. Then rinse real well in HOT water and then Acetone.

IMG_1982.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

UncleJerm76
14 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Same here!

WHX??

You drop a stripped carb into Berryman's and fer sure you're gonna lose the paint. Just my 02 but I personally do not care if the the carb is original or  in red as long as it carburats! :lol:

Alway thought it would be cool to have a polished & highly detailed one on a trailer queen.

BTW those are fine lookin motors Jack & Ed...:text-coolphotos:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

If the choke works backwards so what.  Put a sticker on the dash board up/out becomes run in/down choke.  I have at least 3 that work backwards. Two i labeled...on the third it functions as an anti theft device as she won't start if you use the normal settings:P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

AlexR
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

If the choke works backwards so what.  Put a sticker on the dash board up/out becomes run in/down choke.  I have at least 3 that work backwards. Two i labeled...on the third it functions as an anti theft device as she won't start if you use the normal settings:P

I ordered a $20 carb because its cheaper then getting a rebuild kit and a gasket for between the engine and carb and the $20 carb has all that I think the carb I got the choke is on backwards I figured I would just use the old choke shaft but maybe I will just use it backwards.. 

• Like 1

Shuboxlover

I have used a fine wire wheel on my grinder to clean them up, makes the aluminum shine pretty good and the brass adjustment needles almost look polished.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Then, a quick polish using Mothers mag&aluminum polish...

will keep 'em looking that way for the long term.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Here's the before, and afters...

IMG_0716.JPG.3275e17e1cba153b8c5706fa7125a6ff.JPGIMG_0718.JPG.d2141e0fbca69ffffe9ff8509e446166.JPGIMG_0719.JPG.862d78063d335bd4ae096dffdc47e5ba.JPGIMG_0723.JPG.b96f98c0d09d71453da18b7ad7e2487f.JPGIMG_0724.JPG.6a296d13e52411bc358dc446bfd3fabf.JPGIMG_0725.JPG.3f0c3fb19fadef486e629db898c83814.JPGIMG_0726.JPG.29a615e5b8d87a75304fdadabac86d7f.JPGIMG_0729.JPG.b3f9f3845a971ea80db2e22400bc1b68.JPGIMG_0731.JPG.edf4ade185b0f9856f5fc29594c81f08.JPGIMG_0732.JPG.68f24b6779abc15b724f451a7a9dd0ff.JPGIMG_0733.JPG.b103321bb016abcd30daad27215c361c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5